Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Will 235/55/17 Fit A Lexus Is200 On The Rear

First and foremost, 235 section tyres on a 7J (7" wide) rim won't be legal, even if it does physically fit; 225 is the max you should go to on a 7J. The next problem is a 235/55 17 is nearly 10% bigger in rolling radius than a 215/45 17 (standard) tyre, so wouldn't be advisable anyway (you should stay within 3% +/- from standard tyre size rolling radius).

Secondly. it's also counter-productive to fit wider tyres for winter; the wider they are the less effect they will have and be more likely to spin and plane. You should fit narrower tyres for winter, so they cut through the snow better.

I'm looking to go 205/50's for winter tyres; but if I was able to get specific sized rims, I'd rather run 195's through the snow.

There's a huge long list of wheels that fit the IS, the problem is finding them. Amazingly, there seems to be a severe lack of steel rims on the second hand market; it's cheaper to buy a set of OEM alloys than the steels.

I was trying to get a set of the Lexus RX Harrier wheels (16") but they aren't cheap either, so looks like I'm going for a set of standard IS 17's, and the slightly narrower 205 tyres, and just hope for the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Just have to say I agree with matt-c about fitting narrower - not wider - tyres for winter/snow use. Also very important to calculate rolling radius and gearing when changing wheel and/or tyre size.

There are a couple of websites which take the pain out of calculating equivalent tyre and wheel sizes if you are thinking of changing. Look at http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html - which has all the info you'll ever need. Or there's a US website which also has a built-in calculator - see http://www.dakota-truck.net/tirecalc/tirecalc.html .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links