Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Couple Of Problems Solved

Greetings.

Since buying my IS200 the steering seemed not very precise in that I had the impresion of chasing it as it wandered a bit, always making very small corrections, not like my Celica, which is a delight to drive, as though on rails, (terrrible road noise though) and from time to time the car shuddered under braking so after putting up with it for a quite a while it had to be fixed.

First the radius arm bushes were changed using urethane bushes, that fixed the wandering, but still shuddered. Quite nice to drive now.

Second I measured the run out of the front discs and found the nearside 7.5thou out and the offside 3.5thou, changed the discs, problem solved. I had also checked the slide pins which were OK, surprised at how cheap the discs are ($50 NZ ea).

Had an SD1 which had the very same shuddering and the disc run out was also 7thou out.

Hard to equate these VERY small measurments with such a violent effect.

Regards

Malcolm

Good to hear you have diagnosed and soted the problems yourself, are you a professional mechanic?

Regarding the discs I can understand the effects of even a slight run out as the effect is magnified when the rim and tyre are fitted and during rotation when centrifugal forces add to the distortion, a bit like a front loading washing machine on fast spin with uneven clothes distribution.

Greetings again.

Hi Steve, no, only an OLD amateur who up to now did his own repairs, however getting off the ground is now not so easy and modern cars seem to need a degree in computer science to fix

Clifton, the bushes came from Repco, probably the equivelent to Halfords, don't know if they are Toyota or after market, only the material matters, urethane is much harder than rubber and is subsequently harder riding but better wearing and more precise.

Regards

Malcolm

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links