Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Conversion

We all know that the traditional key for the RX300/350/400h looks rather old fashionned.

Has anyone tried a conversion to a more modern "flip" key.

I have found this on eBay, but can't help being a little sceptical:

http://www.ebay.co.u...2a1f3eb3a2#shId

Also... I guess I would need the new key to be cut. Is this something a locksmith would be happy to do?

Any thoughts?

Uhmm...Dunno.

Sure enough the locksmith can cut the blade to match yours. I'm not really impressed by what I see in the pics, though. First of all the flip blade does not form a 90 degrees angle with the case, from what I can see. This might cause torques and stress when you turn the key, besides being disturbing to my own sense of aesthetic ( :rolleyes:); second, and foremost, we all know that the key of our Lexy is quite fragile. Again, judging from the photos, this case does not look much sturdier.

Given the price, though, it might be worth giving it a try: I have the feeling you'll end up paying more for the cutting of the blade than for the flip case itself.

I did the "conversion" - i usually keep the key in my pocket and been stabbed quite often.

There are several things you should know:

- The blade is usually longer on those aftermarket key cases - so you should cut it short - otherwise the transponder of the immobilizer is too far and the car wont start

- shortening the blade is not enough though - since the buttons are turned in 90 degrees (as in my case) or a bit further away - you should open the case and move the magnet (transponder) from the original key fob into the designated slot of the new key case.

mRyJf.png

Mines an IS, but I bought one of the keys in the eBay link since two of my three keys were broken (one completely broken and one cracking, almost broken). It was the right length (more or less), and got a local shoe and key place to cut it, but it would only unlock the door, boot and glove box - it wouldn't turn in the ignition. Ran it through a couple more times to no avail, then a few days later I took a metal file to it, shaved a hair off the tip, and then ran the curved back of the file down the blade profile a few times and it worked! Worked it a little bit more with the file to smooth it all out and it turns perfectly - been using it a month or two now with no problems; didn't have to modify the transponder at all - everything inside is stock from one of the broken keys.

I will say though, they are a bit cheap, and fairly bulky. It doesn't have the nice feel a VW or Audi key has when flicking out and closing, the button is a bit sensitive (often flicking out in my pocket) and it just doesn't feel as quality as my mates VW key.

The one Radoslav posted is a much nicer looking key IMO

I've supplied and cut a few of these for lexus members on here.

Not had any problems yet. Keys work first time, every time.

I dont like buying off eBay as most of the stuff on there is inferior junk.

Any other decent locksmith should be able to do the same

• 3 years later...
On 03/10/2012 at 5:18 PM, Radoslav Asparuhov said:

I did the "conversion" - i usually keep the key in my pocket and been stabbed quite often.

There are several things you should know:

- The blade is usually longer on those aftermarket key cases - so you should cut it short - otherwise the transponder of the immobilizer is too far and the car wont start

- shortening the blade is not enough though - since the buttons are turned in 90 degrees (as in my case) or a bit further away - you should open the case and move the magnet (transponder) from the original key fob into the designated slot of the new key case.

mRyJf.png

Hello radoslav!

Ive been having key issues and my lexus rx300 2004 hasn't been starting at all. Battery jas been flat but that is now fine and the car would turn over but not start, where abouts in the fob is the transponder found? Is this moat likely the issue as i have a broken key and its in 2 or 3 parts?

Cheers for any help.

Andy

Hi, 

When you open the key - you'll find the remote with the transponder chip inside:

ID-4D68-Transponder-chip-for-Toyata-Lexu

Toyota-Transponder_Chip-only.jpg

Unfortunately it's not screwed, but glued, so be very careful with the sharp knife...

Then you have to put the transponder in the new key (there is designated place - marked in red - close to the base of the blade) - otherwise it's too far away from the sensor and will not start.

HTB1AlMKGVXXXXcRXpXXq6xXFXXXF.jpg

I swapped my spare key over to a switch/flick one like those in the picture as the original case had cracked. IMO, the flick blade is a gimmick and crap quality which always pops open by itself when shut.

Could just be a crap quality one out of a million but I wouldn't bother again!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links