Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking About Going From Is200 S/c To Is220D

Hi,

Love how much is200 drives and feels but, getting old and want somthing newer and not as fuel heavy,

Just want to know what to look out for on a 220d any common faults?

with my is200 my mpg is on avarage 19-21 max ive had is 25, whats the 220d like?

i want a good spec one but not sure what specs they did? im looking at some in the 05-07 age due to my price budget.

If any of that worries you, why not try and get yourself an IS250 automatic? I have yet to come across anyone who wished they bought an IS220 instead, but you will see on this forum that may who bought the diesel wish they had bought the petrol automatic instead.

I had an IS200 sport before my IS250. Your mpg is disappointing but perhaps it is based on lot of city driving and/or short trips (either that or a very heavy right foot). At any rate, you should do a bit better in an IS250 (anything up to 40 on a long trip)

well its just the 220d gun get more mpg than the 250, no i drive my is200 like an old man no flooring it or anything like that! its just because its modded, but want somthing newer and similar and like how lexus and how they drive interiour etc, and compared to other cars i looked at bmw 320d the lexus just i think looks alot nicer and seems better equipped if i get one with screen multimeda system.

not 100% sure yet but dont want to spend more than 7k i can do but want to set a limit or ill just end up getting a f-sport or somat!

Things to remember, lots of people come on forums just to post about problems, think of the large number of cars that never have any issues. Most of the issues could be the fact that they're not getting the oil burning lump hot on short trips.

They have issues but are easy to spot, if its got a full history lexus will warranty the engine till 140k or 7 years, so you could say they're a better buy as you've got a level of factory cover.

MPG wise, I seem to average about 45mpg on the motorway and 39ish around town. Last tank did 550 miles, that was all motorway and about 2.5hours central london, 44mpg. They've not got a big tank(should be 80ltrs really).

6th is fine at 70 unless you've got big hills etc, I tend to do 75 in 5th where there's no vibration/noise. A lot more midrange stomp than a is250 but not as smooth at lower speeds.

For what its worth I had a is250 on test and got 31mpg over a 200mile journey(which I thought was good for a 2.5 auto), the 220d did 42mpg on the same journey the following day.

If you're doing the miles the 220d is the best bet, if you're not the cheaper is250 would be the better bet.

well id say i usual do town driving or to collage which max is only 10 miles, but do do long distances every now and again.

yeah the scare storys dont put me off you get them on all cars really.

well what are the spec diffrences ie, 220d, se sport, 250,se,sport. as im want the top spec one if i can in my price range, multi media so dont have to upgrade at later date, also think the center looks awful with out the screen.

well is the 250 not similar mpg to the is200? just want somthing newer and if i do end up doing any mods it will be just lowerd and alloys not like all stuff i dont to my is200 as insurance and mot's etc is a hassle! and expense.

If you are not racking up a big mileage each year the mpg issue isn't necessarily such a big deal. I calculated the other day (in this forum) that a petrol car which averages 40 mpg and covers 12,000 miles over a given period saves its owner about £650 in fuel costs when compared with one that averages about 30 (or the cost of 100 gals of petrol). Nobody wrote in to correct my maths, so I suppose that is about right. An IS 250 automatic used in mixed driving should average about 30 - much better if mostly used for long trips, but worse of course in short trips around town. An IS220D may give you 40 mpg but the diesel fuel will cost more so the saving will be smaller. I cover about 8,000 pa so my fuel saving if I ran a 40 mpg car would be little more than £400. You can factor in road tax (which puts the manual IS250 at a clear disadvantage) but the Is 220D may end up costing you more in servicing and repairs, being less reliable on the whole.

The 250 auto has a brilliant gearbox. I cannot comment personally on those in the manual cars but many complain that they are poor or at least awkward to use. The old IS200 sport had a nice manual gearchange but after the IS250 auto I would never now go back to a manual gearbox. I would rather forgo electric windows and wind them up and down by hand.

The top spec car is the IS250 SE-L auto multimedia (mm). The older ones come with 17" wheels. Some of the older cars can still be found with sunroofs. You get frond and rear parking sensors, auto- dipping mirrors and electricially operated seats with heating, cooling and memory settings. Gas-discharge HIDS on the SE-L and sport versions are great on dark roads but I guess there may be a risk of a fairly costly failure as the cars get older.

Mine is an 07 so not as young as she was, but is still very smooth and refined. Passengers still tend to offer unsolicited praise for the luxurious interior and quiet running (especially if in the front seat)

The auto is utterly brilliant. Seamless, smooth and a joy to drive. I used to love manuals...... Well I am a convert now. The previous owner did a lot of city driving ( London specifically) and he commented to me that a manual gearbox in this arena is a nightmare as you will be changing gear so much it will drive you nuts.

I urge you to go and try the auto....IMHO I don't think you will look any further.

It is that good. No offence intended to any manual lovers out there.

some say that driving an auto is 'less involving' than driving a manual. Motoring journalists often say this.

I'm sure they are right. As someone who used to ride long distances on a pedal cycle (sometimes over 100 miles at a time) I can say for sure that this is even more 'involving', especially on long climbs. Great feeling it is, topping the pass with five miles of fast, easy descent ahead of you. But cars are supposed to make it easier, not more involving (?)

A good auto (as in the Lexus 250) changes gear better than we can (sometimes the instruments are the only indication it has changed gear at all), and leaves us free to concentrate on the road ahead. Ever tried changing gear and dipping your headlights at the same time, as you line up for a tight bend ahead on a narrow main road with a big lorry coming towards you? Having one less things to worry about then can be a big help. (yes, I know, plan ahead for such eventualities and always be in the right gear well before, etc)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links