Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS200 Owners -- Had G/BOX problems?? Please read.

Rob

hi all, I have seen a few of us have experienced gearbox trouble, so i am trying to guage how many people/symptoms/dealer response/ problem cured etc

can you please briefly list:

1.Symptoms

2.Which gears affected

3.Have you done something done about it

4.What was done to correct it

5.Dealer/ lexus reponse

6. year/month of vehicle manufacture

even if you think u MAY have a prob please say so or if you are getting stiff gearchanges every now and then.

Thanks for your time

[Edited on 28-4-2002 by fluff34567]

1.couldnt select gears/stiff gear change

2.1st and 2nd sometimes 3rd

3.yes

4.gearbox replaced

5.In Holland appauling service. In uk dealer was very good.

6. 11/1999 SE model.

update: am now starting to get first signs of gearbox problem again!!!

[Edited on 28-4-2002 by fluff34567]

Chris, if it is difficult or sometimes notchy to engage 2nd gear or you get a destinct 'clunk' when engaging 2nd gear that is the start of the problem. this can also affect 3rd gear.

if you are just getting the 'clunk' i would be surprised if anything is done, the second you start getting the 'wont engage 2nd' syndrome then get it sorted - but i belive now the policy is to just replace the syncro ring/hub instead of replacing the gearbox - i am meant to have had the redesigned box bt i am starting to get the first signs again! ( no its not my driving style - driven other 200's not a prob)

Just like Chris I get very very rarely a clunk goin from 1st to 2nd, usually when cold, but nothing that i consider worthy of a trip to Lexus.

I have a problem changing down into second or first gear sometimes. First gear mainly, happens quite a lot, resulting in second gear pull aways. Not ideal.

1. Won't go in gear or there's heavy shuddering of the transmission changing down into first while moving.

2. Only first and second gear

3. Haven't done anything about it, re: previous thread about known problem. You'll take it to the dealer, symptoms probably won't show up.

4. Problem not solved.

5. N/A

6. June 99

Hope this helps.

I get a distinct crunch into 2nd most of the time with occasional difficulty changing down into 2nd, even at low speeds, sometimes get the same with 3rd, but only when changing up. More often than not, 1st is unselectable unless stationary, causing difficulty pulling out of junctions at walking pace in 2nd. Also, my gearbox is very whiney, although this may not be any different than other IS's as I've never driven another manual one.

Complained to dealer at 1st service (June 2000) and was told that all IS's are like that, however since hearing about fluff's problems/results I asked the dealer to look at the gearbox again at the last service. They could find no problems, but I will be insisting on gearbox work within the next 10,000 miles as my warranty will expire then. Lexus GB will be hearing from me if the dealer can't/won't sort it.

My Lex is from Sept 1999. I had my G-box changed once, due to rumbling noise in 4'th and 6'th gear. I did not experience too much of a gearchanging trouble though. The noise was there from the beginning. At first i thought it was rumbling noise from the wheels, but then i noticed it only came i 4'th and 6'th.

The G-box was replaced after a year. Later when I talked to Lexus, they said all the IS's with first type of G-box would get theirs replaced under warranty. I have no idea if he just said this to me, or if they actually did all. In Norway they probably sold less than 100 the first year, so the situation is kind of different from UK.

Anyway, my new G-box is a lot better, BUT some rumbling noise is still present:mad: It's not really a problem for me, but it's kind of irritating.

I can downshift to 1'st when still rolling, and the clunks when shifting are very rare.

My biggest problem(irritation) is the vibration in the drivetrain when the car is loaded.:mad:http://www.teamlexus.co.uk/forums/viewthread.php?tid=708

I'll supply some more info on that one a little later...

1. Changing from first to second very notchy and like NotoriousREV seems to whine.

2. Mainly first and second.

3. Done nothing about it as i intend to p/x it for a new IS200 in the near future.

4. N/A

5. N/A

6. One of the very first, June 1999.

As for the knocking sound from the suspension Robbie, i think i`ve narrowed it down to something in the engine bay or under the dash.:(

mmmm it seams very strange that everybody is suffering from exactly the same symptoms!

Sounds like a bad batch of internals to me out of tolerance??? I mean syncro mesh has been around since the 50's so you would have thought they could have got it right by now!!

I had the oil changed the other day and it has helped a fair bit but the old oil was only in for 5K!

we will see what happens !

Just to let you all know....I have the prob & rang head office & seriously complained....I really went to town about it & I mean I went to town on it!!! They are quite happy to change the synchro rings but no way on earth are they changing my box...I repeatedly phoned saying that I was really unhappy about it...& the answer was 'Your still not getting a new gear box' :( Ive settled on getting the synchro rings changed & they said they have noted my dissatisfaction & if the problem reocours after my 3yr warranty has finished then the will fix it again! It's the best I could get...but it's something! :smilegrin: