Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everybody peeps

My LS460 had a leaking rear tyre valve and it was replaced, for £128. This apparently absurd price is because the valve contains the magic gubbins which tells you the tyre pressures on the display.

Fine, but two weeks later one of the fronts is now leaking. If I take it in to Lexus again, this will no doubt be another £128. Over £500 for a set of four tyre valves is not edifying.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a cheaper fix?

Hiya

You could try a chatting to a tyre fitting company like Quikfit etc, ask them the same question you already asked.

I don't have those fittings on my Ls, could the car operate and you survive without those kind of valves and just run normal valves like most other cars.

Worth thinking about

It's not good when a tyre valve costs nearly the same as a good quality tyre, have you PMd ACLex to see if he can do a better price?

Or see if the TPMS can be deactivated, fit normal valves and manually check weekly.

Hello Mr JellyBean,

I can only sympathise with you on this. Do you remember the good old days in the mk 3 when all you needed to know was how to change a rear light bulb and the bits that fit below the front bumper? Oh and we had a tyre pressure gauge from Halfords that cost £2.

Seriously, though it does make you wonder at times if all the goodies are worth the cost.

Pete

PS. yes I am jealous that you have a 460

I think we are seeing admirable cases thus far from many recent posts for hanging on to our dear old LS400s and the easy peasy maintenance at simple costs.

Malc

Thanks for the replies.

I will ask my tyre supplier what they think, when I am next passing. Even though it is very reassuring to be told if a tyre is losing pressure, £128 per corner is a bit daft.

I had a Mk 3 LS400 for 7½ years and there was far less trickery on it, yet the basics were still there: speed (if not from a standing start); quietness; build quality; wonderful sound system. I don't love the 460 any more than I did the 400. But that would be difficult anyway!

As for my tyre valves, the other three are behaving again. So far.

This most likely seems like a conspiracy against the newer LS 430 and 460.....but anyone who has spent any time driving and working on a 400 as I have...

...MUST admit it is the quietest and smoothest car EVER !......I am stil trying to love my 460... but look everyday on eBay for that perfect low miles minter MK3 400. :geek:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links