Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Discs

KayCee

Hi All

Does this sound right I had my 55 GS300 serviced at Sheffield a few months ago and they said I had non genuine Pads in Ferodo and they went on to say that the rear discs were corroded and need replacing not instantly but in the near future, also the fronts were below thickness. The service manager who was a gent i might add said When you are ready we can do the fronts for 280 and rears for 240.

I thought that was a bit dear so contacted the Hull Dealer who said 860 all in and if you are in lexus Club 620 even that to me sounds a lot.

In conclusion i would like to keep it genuine (previous owner must have put the ferodos in) but at that price Phewwwwww

Does any of you reccommend any other makes or am i in a trap and must be lexus

Thanks

Robert

Do you mean DIY or independent garage using genuine parts?

Try sending user ACLex a message on here, he works in Lexus Poole parts department and does discount for members and postage.

Gold membership on here will get a discount of 10-15% from most of the main dealer parts departments too.

No the Sheffield Lexus dealer Quoted 280 front and 240 rear

But Hull Lexus said 860 all in but 620 with gold membership

My Lexus was serviced at Poole all its life till i took it over, and I had its 70k service done at Lexus Sheffield so all servicing as been done at Lexus Poole so i cant see how they are not Lexus pads but thats what they said

Robert

A while ago I needed some front pads for my LS400 so contacted Lexus Derby. There are apparently 2 versions of the brake pads, the original expensive ones and another type which are still OEM specification produced for Toyota but cost a lot less.

I am wondering if this is why you have the Ferodo pads fitted?

The other consideration is at 7 years old is a Full Lexus Service History going to make a big difference when you come to sell the car?

There is no reason why the work cannot be carried out by a local independent garage using either genuine or decent aftermarket parts at a lot less than Lexus will charge you.

As far as I am aware Lexus/Toyota don't have a plant solely manufacturing brake discs and pads so one of the major players in the market must make them for Lexus.

Just looked up the prices for OEM Lexus brake discs (retail) and the fronts are around £280.00 a pair and the rears £320.00 a pair then the pads on top plus the fitting kit if needed so the price quoted by Lexus Sheffield seems quite reasonable after all.

Thanks Steve

You may be right as the pads are only half worn thats why gary at sheffield said dont worry about it yet but the rears will need changing definately and the fronts at next service.

But the brake performance is perfect pulls up with no grabbing and comes cofidantly to a stop its just that they sowed the seeds of doubt when they said they was not original.

The corrosion on the rears may have been caused by the fact that the car had been stood 6 month as the owner got locked up.

I bought the car of his friend who sold it on his behalf.

I think i may leave it for a while as they are working perfectly

Robert

Used Ferodo on my previous car, the Accord - and the discs were brembo in the box - worked brilliantly.

Wouldn't hesitate to reuse on the 300 if they are the best value again - will be looking into Tarox and Textar/Pagid to see if they cover our cars, and how they compare.

So as indicated above, you won't really gain anything from sticking with Lexus branded parts except for peace of mind. Any good garage will be able to fit them cheaper as well, and you may as well shop around a few local motor factors to see which ones they offer cover the car.

All pads and discs offered will be fully RE90 compliant, which you can read online what that means.

There's nothing wrong with using non genuine Lexus/Toyota discs and pads as long as you use a decent make and Ferodo are a decent make.

None of my discs or pads are genuine, I got Mintex all round on my IS and I've used ferodo on my old Primera. Lexus just trying to make some money out of you.

Also discs and pads don't get changed on a service unless required upon inspection and then at the extra cost you quoted. I've never used a main dealer for discs and pads, you can get them at half that price on eBay, then if your not good at things mechanical get a local garage to fit them for you, most garages £60-£80 per hour for labour. It's only an hour - an hour and half job.

I bet you can get new pads, discs and fitted all round for under £350 :)

Fitted mtec discs to my gs430 along with ebc ultimax pads and they work as well if not better than the originals................ Don't get the issue, within reason a disc is a disc and can as such be considered pretty much universal, there are many manufacturers of discs out there that have been at it a lot longer than toyota, original ....... Pah !!! Just a rip off price for nothing special

Hi All

Does this sound right I had my 55 GS300 serviced at Sheffield a few months ago and they said I had non genuine Pads in Ferodo and they went on to say that the rear discs were corroded and need replacing not instantly but in the near future, also the fronts were below thickness. The service manager who was a gent i might add said When you are ready we can do the fronts for 280 and rears for 240.

I thought that was a bit dear so contacted the Hull Dealer who said 860 all in and if you are in lexus Club 620 even that to me sounds a lot.

In conclusion i would like to keep it genuine (previous owner must have put the ferodos in) but at that price Phewwwwww

Does any of you reccommend any other makes or am i in a trap and must be lexus

Thanks

Robert

Current Lexus prices under their fixed price promise are (GS300 2005/2007)

Front discs/pads £295

Rear discs/pads £295

It would appear that Lexus Sheffield may have quoted using pre increase figures. Where Lexus Hull got their figures from I have no idea but they are totally wrong. I would advise getting your brakes inspected by a couple of independent places, without mentioning what Lexus told you, and see if they tell you the same as Lexus.

Gentlemen

Thank you very much for your input it as settled my mind .

The Sheffield Mechanic when he bought my car round after the service said " The trouble with after market pads is the cause a lot of Brake dust"

And went on to say " Thats why we say go Origional"

I shall leave them till after xmas as i said they are only Half worn and see how the corrosion goes on the rears they pull up the car very well i wouldnt have thought another thing about it if they hadnt said that they was none genuine

Thank you ever so much glad i joined forum

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Still undecided about the Discs and Pads But could I ask is the Disc material Better steel than the mainline ones

and are the Pads Ceramic they ort to be gold in them for the price

Thanks

I recently had new front discs and pads fitted, non genuine, and the bill came to £180 all in, car brakes exactly the same as it did before.

With these items I would not go for oem as there are many options available (as others have mentioned) and in truth Lexus only out source for these type of parts and brand them in house, plus any competent mechanic can fit them irrespective of marque.

I do have the car serviced at a Lexus dealer though irrepsective of the pricing which to be fair isnt too bad with the membership offers they have..

As above just pick names you know, mintex,ferodo etc, I used BLUEPRINTdiscs,no problem.

Unless you intend to race you don't need ceramic pads, remember the harder the pad the quicker your disc wears.

Thanks Roy

ill take you advice and the other members that answered my Question.

It was just that Lexus gave me this story about Excess Dust and squeeling if i fitted non genuine

Mind when car is cold and i reverse out of my drive there is pad noise from FOS but soon as i drive of its ok that was why i said to lexus if they could check front brake on the service and they told me about the Non Genuine Pads

But in normal braking there is no squeel at all

Thanks

Robert

I would challenge anyone to have pads/discs that do not make any noise from cold esp when they have been sitting all night and are damp ...... Very noticeable in an auto esp if backing off drive as you will be riding the brakes as you do so !,,

Squealing could be a symptom of needing anti-squeal compound (or more of it) or the shim kit replaced.

Either way, it's not mandatory to go with OE parts, especially when other R90 compliant parts can be better on the dustiness or/and initial bite, etc.

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I took tonys advice and contacted Lexus Birmingham and dealt with a very pleasant young lady who quoted me 300 + delivery all in for the discs and pads front and rear i got local garage to fit them they charged 75 to fit plus he said one rear caliper was seized on the pin but he cleaned it up on his lathe and is working perfectly now all in all a very good job and im pleased as punch no brake noise when backing out of my drive perfect

thanks for all your advice and taking trouble to respond

Robert