Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is it definitely just the one mirror that does not tilt?

If its both not tilting...check the control switch on the door is set to the 'centre' position.

If its one mirror only...it could be a knackered drive shaft in the mirror. But first try manuallly moving that mirror as far left, right, up and down, until you hear it clicking in each direction. Then try it again and see if that restores movement in the correct manner.

Hope that helps.

Hi All. A question to the experts - My OS door mirror fails to tilt (sometimes) when in reverse. Should I fear the worst?

I had a similar problem when I had my 220d, took it to the dealer and as usual it didn't fail whilst they had it it so they couldn't find anything to report back. It stopped working again just the once after that but then corrected itself and worked perfectly all of the time after that. They will only work when the mirror switch is in the L or R position, as normski2 says if they are both not working it is usually because the switch is in the centre positition.

Try sliding the switch rapidly across all three positions a few times, this will usually clear any possible corrosion that may have formed on the terminals of the switch.

I am almost certain that I have read somewhere on here that this is also a problem that Lexus are aware of.

It's a fairly common fault. I had my Se-L 250 nearside door mirror replaced under warranty as the motor had failed. Would work side to side but not up and down, first noticed when reversing. There's a post on here if you perform a search.

Sorry to hijack the thread but did not know my car could do this so just went out to check it. Only the passenger mirror tilts and the driver's side stays in the same position. So I tried to tilt the mirror up, down, left and right using the control on the door and up and down does not do anything but moving left and right is fine. Tried moving the mirror by hand to see if it would free something up but the control still does not move it. Can hear the relay contacting though so power is good.

Take it this is a warranty issue and not a home easy fix?

Hi again: To answer normski2 - Cant be sure as I tried the other suggestions all in sequesnce - but I do believe it was 'gentle persuasion' that won. Just to confirm that-yes- the switch was in the correct position. My IS250 is an 06 Plate so I expect it's getting to the age of minor irritation - but I cherish and love it, being my Pride & Joy - but who would'nt.

Rob

Try sliding the switch rapidly across all three positions a few times, this will usually clear any possible corrosion that may have formed on the terminals of the switch.

That's an interesting point made by Geoff. I've been aware (since my previous is220) that you can often get rain drips falling into the seat area and door from the roofline when opening the door after rain. Never bothered me too much as it is usually very little and I have taken to running my finger along the door top weather seal before opening the door in an effort to draw the drips away. But this may throw some light on the possibility of small amounts of corrosion causing water getting into the switch mechanisms located in the door lining.

Just a thought.

I'm very interested in these exchanges.

I've learnt a lot.

My MY 2012 IS 250 F-Sport does not seem to have the dipping feature?

I would find it very useful.

Does anyone know if it was/is fitted to that car?

Argento

The dipping mirror feature is only fitted to models with the memory package (seats, steering wheel and mirrors). Unfortunately the memory package was removed on the MY11 F Sport models and was only available on the SE-L and ISF models from this year onwards.

F.A., thanks very much for this excellent explanation.

It has saved me a lot of time and trouble.

I'm disappointed it is not available on my car.

I would use it all the time.

I think it is a great function.

Soon after I posted my question, I consulted the Owner's Manual, again.

Page 64 "Driving position memory (driver's seat)* " is key.

Note the tiny "*"

The footnote says " *: If equipped"

Just like you said!

Argento

I have gone from an SE-L to and Advance and I can honestly maange without the seat cooling, seat memory, sunblind and lovely scuff plates but I DO miss that dipping mirror! It was great for getting reall near a kerb without scuffing the alloys...