Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone. I have just completed a 500 mile round trip, out on Monday back yesterday. Nearly all motorway M5/M6 with rain virtually all the way. Car performed very well, was comfortable but obviously because of the weather conditions couldn't exploit the performance and had to keep to a sensible pace. Noticed a very slight rattle which appears to be from the passanger seat which I need to investigate but appart from that very quiet. ML system very good and now playing MP3 from a USB stick thanks to advice from Silver Arrow.

However as it was dry this morning I gave the car a clean. What a shock as I found 3 chips on the bonnet and the bumper marked in about a dozen places. Not very happy and if it carries on like this not sure what it will be like in a few months time. Mileage so far 2400 and fuel from new has now been 39mpg actual at pumps.

Nice update - mine is on 3 months now, 1800 miles, and I too have a slight passenger seat rattle - only when no one is sitting on it. I reckon its the seat belt buckle striking the B post cowel.

I know guys on here rave about how quiet an IS is, but I have had both - and the Gen2 IS is no where near this quiet....and other than the minor seat rattle this car is totally silent!

It just feels so well built -compared to any Lexus I've had the pleasure with!

Fuel economy is the one area where I am slightly disappointed - driving in ECO medium congestion, normally, I cannot get higher than 16mpg urban, compared to 22 officially. On a run mid 30's is easily possible.

The only areas where the car is a Toyota are on labels in the fuse boxes, and one or 2 minor switches, plus the cruise control stalk. Straight out of an Avensis, but other than that it feels almost German....

Slight wallowy ride, but excellent otherwise.

I too have 6 or so chips already :-( the one area where Lexus is bad compared to the german marques - the paint is too soft. It scratches so easily. my IS suffered terribly and this will fair no better. My E60 was newer than the IS but the paint was much harder, though didn't have depth/lusture. I know about water based thinners etc, but the germans' use the same rules and do not have paint this soft!

I had a IS 250 as well which was a fabulous car but suffered badly from paint chips. In my opinion Lexus are quite bad compared to Mercs, Audi and BMW. Strange though me last cat RX450 had less chips /paint damage over 2 years than all the previous cars.

On fule consumption around town I can easil get 40+ mpg. My overall figure of 39mpg covers everything since new based on actual fuel used at the pumps rather than the trip gauge.

The passemger seat rattle when empy is the seat belt buckle which I have to adjust to stop it rattling. Overall, apart from the paint very pleased but so I should be with a 51k car

I had a IS 250 as well which was a fabulous car but suffered badly from paint chips. In my opinion Lexus are quite bad compared to Mercs, Audi and BMW. Strange though me last cat RX450 had less chips /paint damage over 2 years than all the previous cars.

On fule consumption around town I can easil get 40+ mpg. My overall figure of 39mpg covers everything since new based on actual fuel used at the pumps rather than the trip gauge.

The passemger seat rattle when empy is the seat belt buckle which I have to adjust to stop it rattling. Overall, apart from the paint very pleased but so I should be with a 51k car

One thing to mention, I tried to but a boot liner but apparently they are not available in the UK yet. Quite shocking for a car thats been on sale since June

I've been looking at eBay and there is so little available....and what is available is £00's abroad!

I can't see the car selling well here at all. There is such a focus on low Co2 and diesel cars here - also the PCP deals on new GS don't stack up. The deposits are way too high - largely because the GFV is so low - someone has to pay that shortfall!!

The good thing for us is that the car will be rare, intriguing, and there will be a good demand on the 2nd hand market from Gen2 IS owners who want to upgrade.

So it might hold it's value better between years 3-6.

Hi silver arrow and Gra56,

Lexus have very soft paintwork witch scratches and chips easily, have either of you protected your paint work with a sealant, from the dealership or done it yourself.

I had it done at the dealership but have also applied some myself, I don’t have any chips or scratches so far ( touch wood), but it may just be a bit of luck, plus I don’t do much motorway driving.

I would recommend Wolf Hard Body. I have put on 2 coats and it certainly repels water well.

The link with the guy trying to scratch his car is a video from the manufacture, so you can make your own mind up about that one.

Hi wendle

I was persuaded by the dealer to have supagard which I have never done before on the basis the car would be more resitant to chips and will hold the shine better. Well yes it does look better particularly when cleaned but as for protcting from chips no way. I do a lot of motorway so I suppose that is the reason. Mind you I had an Audi A4 which 110000 miles and that had less chips than my IS 250

Klasse on mine (Carlack 68 in the UK) which I did myself - first AIO (All in one), then 2 coats of sealant glaze (24 hours apart, car garaged), then 3 coats of P21s carnuba. And it's still becoming swiss cheese lol

Am seriously considering a 3m film bra. Not one available yet for the GS in pre-cut form as far as I know. It's like a clear vinyl wrap, though most vinyl wrappers should be able to get it, cut it and stick it!! Need to investigate....even just for the front bumper where mine is getting peppered!

No sealant on this earth will make paintwork chip resistant, irrespective of cost to buy and DIY or have applied for you.

If you want protection, then it is going to have to be clear vinyl - plain and simple.

For those interested in venturing down that path, you should look at http://www.paintshield.co.uk/ - in particular, the Xpel self repair vinyl.

Wendle, as you're Kent based, you'd be wise to visit Kelly at KDS Keltec for a quote.

No sealant on this earth will make paintwork chip resistant, irrespective of cost to buy and DIY or have applied for you.

If you want protection, then it is going to have to be clear vinyl - plain and simple.

For those interested in venturing down that path, you should look at http://www.paintshield.co.uk/ - in particular, the Xpel self repair vinyl.

Wendle, as you're Kent based, you'd be wise to visit Kelly at KDS Keltec for a quote.

I was in contact with KDS Keltec a couple of months before I picked the car up, I also visited a showroom were they had covered cars. I was going to have the bonnet and bumper done but I couldn’t live with the line on the bonnet and to have the hole bonnet and bumper done they wanted £1700 the bumper alone was over £700.

As I don’t do much motorway driving I am fortunate that in the past I haven’t suffered to much with stone chips, in the 4 years I owned my last GS I only had a few small marks, nothing much to concern me. In the end I didn’t have the bumper done as I felt that if I did get a lot of chips I could spend the £700 getting the bumper re sprayed, possibly even twice for that sort of money.

Nissan has it on one of their models, and no it's not the R35.

@Wendle - Ouch!

Knew it was a bit more than typical Ventureshield, but yeah, a front end respray could be had for the same £700.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links