Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Head Gasket

m4noc

What/Who gave you the 99.9% probability?

The diesels are well known for the head gasket problem, but you need to check a couple of things:

1. Have you got a full Lexus service history?

2. What symptoms lead you to believe that its a head gasket issue?

3. What mileage and year is the car?

I can't give you chapter and verse about a replacement engine under warranty but there are plenty of knowledgable people in this forum who know exactly the conditions that need to be met before that would happen.

Give the forum more details (as above) and you'll get some good sensible answers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hi i want to ask i have 220D modal 07, the head gasket is leak, dealer checked and said that i don't have service history after 50k, on the clock its 95k, can any1 advice me if there is any other option i can get it fixed under warranty thanks.

hi i want to ask i have 220D modal 07, the head gasket is leak, dealer checked and said that i don't have service history after 50k, on the clock its 95k, can any1 advice me if there is any other option i can get it fixed under warranty thanks.

Do you have absolutely no service history or just non Lexus service history?

If you have no history at all then to be honest I don't fancy your chances :(

If its independent service history and not main dealer then I would challenge this as I'm sure it's not right that they demand FLSH.

So has the car not been serviced between 50,000 and 95,000 miles?

Did you not ask why all this history was missing before you bought it?

Personally I don't think you have a leg to stand on with a Lexus entended warranty repair, they may have accepted independent servicing at the correct time/mileages but to have non at all is bad news.

All they have to say is the engine has failed due to a lack of servicing.

However just because you have no physical documents it may be worth contacting Lexus to see if there is any electronic history held by them.

• 2 weeks later...

When you say 'the dealer' do you mean not a Lexus dealer? The 60,000 service is a biggie in terms of cost as I understand it, although that may be more pertinent to the petrol engine.

You may want to consider a Lexus extended warranty....yes it's expensive but think of it an insurance policy against a distinct possibility.

When you say 'the dealer' do you mean not a Lexus dealer? The 60,000 service is a biggie in terms of cost as I understand it, although that may be more pertinent to the petrol engine.

You may want to consider a Lexus extended warranty....yes it's expensive but think of it an insurance policy against a distinct possibility.

Hi normski

no the big service as been done but the small car dealer ive bought it off as done an intrim service and stamped the book?

does that void my warrenty?

Probably not. A trader will often do a minor service as a peace of mind offering to the new purchaser. It's just important that the correct parts have been used. Things like the use of 'low ash oil' for the oil change.

I wouldn't have thought this one service will void any warranty..but I'm not Lexus UK. By all means seek their advice. I would have thought if you get Lexus doing your future servicing you will be OK.

I assume from 'warranty' you were implying the extended warranty that Lexus have indicated for the Diesel engine.

Please give careful thought to purchasing an extended warranty from Lexus...as with many things it is your choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got the head gasket problem as we speak and Lexus have finally agreed to sort it for me at their cost, so they are now going to fit a new engine for me on the 25th. I also had my last service done at another garage other than Lexus. I dont think it should matter to be quite honest as the car is still being maintained and serviced as it should regardless if its by Lexus or not. :innocent:

If its an inherent, & in particular a known fault &, the extended warranty implies it is, then service history, mileage, age are irrelevant in law Therefore you can argue, bearing in mind their sale pitch as to the cars reliability, your car is not fit for purpose as per the Sale of Goods Act or Common Law

If its an inherent, & in particular a known fault &, the extended warranty implies it is, then service history, mileage, age are irrelevant in law Therefore you can argue, bearing in mind their sale pitch as to the cars reliability, your car is not fit for purpose as per the Sale of Goods Act or Common Law

^^ I wish I could think of things like that to say when I was arguing with Lexus, they didn't really seem to care at first! Guess they got annoyed with my emails and complaints lol

Hi normski

no the big service as been done but the small car dealer ive bought it off as done an intrim service and stamped the book?

does that void my warrenty?

No it does not

^^ I wish I could think of things like that to say when I was arguing with Lexus, they didn't really seem to care at first! Guess they got annoyed with my emails and complaints lol

Put your complaint in writing then before sending PM me a copy (with all personal details redacted)

• 1 month later...

think i've got this problem now :( ... 70k service booked for the 2nd april so will ask them to check (coolant being forced out the reservior daily) ... service book is stamped with 4 lexus and 2 non lexus garage stamps

fingers crossed as they say

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links