Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stock Nav screen for DVD?

Apparently not!!! My car came without sat nav so I bought an aftermarket system. As there is pretty much nowhere to install the screen without it getting in the way I tracked down a S/H centre console unit with the screen in it from a breakers yard. I tried to get this wired up to my system but i was told by many places that it wouldnt be compatible with anything but the lexus navigator + was told by another place that was a bit more knowledgeable on lexus products that the screen has a 'lockout' feature which would disable the screen if anything but the lexus navigtor signal was inputted to it!! This could be a load of rubbish.....but thats what ive been told!!

Originally posted by vic

Apparently not!!! My car came without sat nav so I bought an aftermarket system. As there is pretty much nowhere to install the screen without it getting in the way I tracked down a S/H centre console unit with the screen in it from a breakers yard. I tried to get this wired up to my system but i was told by many places that it wouldnt be compatible with anything but the lexus navigator + was told by another place that was a bit more knowledgeable on lexus products that the screen has a 'lockout' feature which would disable the screen if anything but the lexus navigtor signal was inputted to it!! This could be a load of rubbish.....but thats what ive been told!!

A Lexus engineer told me the screen was custom made for Lexus by Fujitsu/Panasonic and had a proprietary multi-plexed input signal. He said feeding an RGB or composite signal into it may damage the unit.

He also said the screen used a non-standard resolution which would make it difficult to play DVDs using any normal in-car player.

Finally, he finished off by saying Lexus themselves could get a video signal into the device but that in the UK the legalities of having a TV/DVD playing in the drivers view hadn't been tested in court and so they won't do it.... of course, if you're ever with a Lexus exec in Japan I'm sure a local trip down the bar and a bit of drink might induce some sort of positive behaviour ;)

well apparently there used to be a Pioneer device that alowed video to be played on the sat nav screen,however these are not made anymore but some are still nocking aroud...............look on CL look for a guy called percy;)