Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interior Light Bulb Replacement

I think its poor on the part of Lexus that my interior light bulb has failed, it has only lasted 12 years and I would expect better. Does anyone know how to remove the plastic lense cover to relace the bulb, I have had a look but dont want to force it and crack the plastic. Many thanks.

I think its poor on the part of Lexus that my interior light bulb has failed, it has only lasted 12 years and I would expect better. Does anyone know how to remove the plastic lense cover to relace the bulb, I have had a look but dont want to force it and crack the plastic. Many thanks.

Which interior light bulb is it There are 9 on the mark 4 and 5 on all previous models.The lens does not come out on the windscreen lights it is the whole facia that is teased out of the unit and the bulb is replaced within the unit .The splash light lenses clip off but I Suspect that they are not the problem.If the bulb as failed within interior lights in the rear the whole unit as to be teased out of the garnish the bulb is then replaced at the rear of the unit,on the mark4 the central courtesy light as a philips screw in the centre of the unit which as to be out before the unit can be removed , the bulbs are replaced from the rear of the unit.

The bulb in the interior 'dome' light of my 99 LS400 expired some months ago. You have to have the courage to remove the cover. By gently using a sharp knife (penknife blade) just

gently tease it out. If I remember correctly there are two lugs on the top and two on the bottom. The cover is quite strong and will not damage if you are careful. To replace the cover

insert one of the two sets of lugs and then gently bang the cover into place.

• 1 year later...

Hi All, new to the list and love the Lexus. Trying to use the above advice to change the front interior light bulb but whoa ... does that baby wantto hang on ... I'm putting quite a lot of pressure via my fingers and also a screwdriver and it's not even close at hinting that clips are going to "let go". Are there screws anywhere I have not seen? Hereare pics of my '95 LS400 interior light and me flexing it as much as I dare. Thx Geoff

20140618-1714-ls400-1.JPG

20140618-1714-ls400-2.JPG

20140618-1714-ls400-3.JPG

You seem to be levering out the wrong part. With a thin blade (penknife) lever out the translucent dome light cover. Start at the top and use a fair amount of force.It will

not damage the plastic if you are careful. I have done it quite a few times* without causing damage. When replacing fit the bottom two lugs into place and then give it

a thump to get the top two lugs in place.

* I think I am using poor quality bulbs !!!!

Ahhh ... OK ... when I read the above I thought you were teasing out the whole "assembly" ... not just the lens or clear bulb cover ... now I understand. Funnily I commented to my friend "my how cars have changed ... in the old days you would have just removed the bulb cover" ... yep ... if it doesn't make sense ... then you're probably right!

thanks all

Geoff

I've not got trouble with lights at mo. but I had to replace on Mercedes and much the same sort of situation. I used an old credit card to prize out the clear plastic. Until you get that out you can't get to the two screws holding the whole unit. May be different on Lexus. Out of interest are they festoons in there? I found that Festoons get extremely hot if you are parked up somewhere with the lights on, and wonder if anyone has replaced with LEd's or if that might cause a "recognition" problem?

My interior lights are all replaced with LEDs - As far as I know, the interior lights are not part of the bulb failure warning