Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lies, Damned Lies And Statistics (Rx450 Mpg!)

Hi Cliff

Thank you for your kind words. Hopefully my health will begin to improve soon, the doctors have put me on 40mg of Prednisilone for Crohn's disease which I seem to be suffering with.... I'm only 41 years old but beginning to feel about 90!

Reassuring it's not just me on the same tyre pressure. You can get good MPG's on that stretch of the A3 near Haslemere, particularly the nice smooth bit up near the Hindhead Tunnel.

Hope you got a good deal on your RX from the Lexus staff down on Slyfield, Guildford. I did try them on a pre-reg that they'd got in August when I bought, but they wanted £49K! In the end I got exactly the same car from Lexus Bradford, RX450 SE-L, Obsidian Black with Black Wood and Cream Leather (or Ivory as they call it). I beat them down to just £44.3K the car was registered in the previous month and straight off the transporter with only 4 miles showing on the clock!

I think I did well..... However, If you paid less for a similar car then I don't want to know!

Thanks once again for all your advice.

Best regards

Allister

Hi Allister, yes you got a good deal.

Lexus Guidford may not be the best priced for new/newish cars, as they enjoy an excellent trade due to being virtually in London commuter country. Not having to pay the Congestion charge can be worth some £12000 if you keep the car just three years.

I bought my RX from Lexus Derby and my IS250C from Lexus Leicester. They had the right prices for the right cars.

However, I use Guildford for absolutely everything else. Their service team is without flaw and fabulously LED by Colin Searle. He is the best Service manager that I have ever met...and eclipses Bentley, Mercedes, Jaguar, Range Rover and BMW offerings with ease. A great guy.

They also have a splendid sales team and a very proffessional support facility, all LED by a quality setting Wendy Preston. After five years, I have yet to have anything at all to moan about and believe me, I love to moan!

I've not used the Hinhead tunnel yet but it does sound to be a huge improvement.

Now, as for feeling 90............!!!!! My Dad is well over 90! He now lives alone, cleans, washes, prepares his meals and looks after his third of an acre garden. He is sharp, argumentative based on factual data and can hold his own in most age groups. He uses the Internet constantly and runs all his financial services on it.

He also still drives and drives well!

So, choose another reference point, young man.

Take care

Cliff

Thanks for that Cliff.... As if I wasn't feeling bad enough!

Pointing out that I'm lagging behind a gentleman who is only a stones throw away from a Century is one thing....... But you go even further by providing a full illustration of how I'm actually being completely out manoeuvred.

You have now left me feeling truly ancient! :-)

Will catch up with you soon on another post

Best regards

Allister

• 7 months later...

To come back to the original issue, I had an RX400H for 5 years and got 31 mpg from it. I now have an RX450H and have averaged 32 mpg over 25,000 miles, but can get 37 mpg through a tankful by using ECO mode and being ultra gentle on the right foot, that will be a mix of rural and motorway driving. I haven't tried the surge and cruise technique and I don't turn off the aircon or anything like that. Hope that helps.

I have a new RX 450h, bought 4 weeks ago. So far my average mpg is 39. I have had 50 mpg driving at 30 to 40 mph over 7 miles in a built-up area.

I used to have a GS 300 and got an average of about 30 mpg.

• 10 years later...

There are many variations between US and EU vehicle which explain MPG variations BUT there are many testing procedure differences which are quite eye opening as well. I have owned a few newer cars over the years and drive somewhat normally for US driving. I cruise a bit above the speed limit (70 ish) but not in the 80s, I drive sanely in traffic because there is NO gain in racing on the crowed streets, but though I am not young I do not drive like an old man in a flat cap.  With that being said. I had a 2003 Toyota Highland 4 cylinder auto 2 wd, and averaged over the life of the vehicle (240k miles) about 23 mpg (US) this was MOSTLY Los Angeles commuting. and is 2 MPG greater than the urban cycle and 4 mpg less than highway. My 2007 Camry Hybrid was 33.5 mpg for about 225 K miles (EPA 34 mpg after revision), and currently my 2017 Nissan 2 wd Pathfinder averages in town (21 mpg spot on the urban   cycle, and commuting 23 mpg and road trips 27 (also spot on era cycle). the US epos cycle is pretty accurate as long as you are not a lead foot. BUT the eu cycle is a freaking joke. identical cars under the EU cycle get much better test results than the US cycle BUT EU drivers complain a lot more that thier cars do not meet the estimates..https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091877_why-european-gas-mileage-ratings-are-so-high--and-often-wrong

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links