Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 450H Rear Seat Rattle

l have a '59 reg SE-I at 32k mls and the rear nearside seat has developed an annoying rattle which is noticeable on all but the smoothest of surfaces (and there are not many of those left given the state of our roads!).

I can see the seat juddering in my rear view mirror when I am on my own in the car although obvioulsy not when one of the kids is sitting on it. I know the Lexus is extremely quiet anyway which means the rattle/judder is all the more annoying and more reminiscent of driving an old van. If I get hold of the seat and give it a good tug there does not seem to be any movement in it until I am on the move.

Lexus have looked at it and say they have repacked the bolts and also fed the leather (!) saying it might be the leather creaking but all to no avail. To be fair they have obviously given it a go and given me a loan 2012 equivalent for the day which was eerily silent compared to mine.

Has anyone else started to have this problem two or three years in or should I just put it down to the car entering mid life when rattles tend to appear?

Thanks

Michael

l have a '59 reg SE-I at 32k mls and the rear nearside seat has developed an annoying rattle which is noticeable on all but the smoothest of surfaces (and there are not many of those left given the state of our roads!).

I can see the seat juddering in my rear view mirror when I am on my own in the car although obvioulsy not when one of the kids is sitting on it. I know the Lexus is extremely quiet anyway which means the rattle/judder is all the more annoying and more reminiscent of driving an old van. If I get hold of the seat and give it a good tug there does not seem to be any movement in it until I am on the move.

Lexus have looked at it and say they have repacked the bolts and also fed the leather (!) saying it might be the leather creaking but all to no avail. To be fair they have obviously given it a go and given me a loan 2012 equivalent for the day which was eerily silent compared to mine.

Has anyone else started to have this problem two or three years in or should I just put it down to the car entering mid life when rattles tend to appear?

Thanks

Michael

This may not be your solution, Michael but it worked for me.

The rear seats both slide and recline.

Set both adjustments so that you are NOT at the limit of either. In other words, the mechanism is in an intermediate slot-----these seem to be tighter than the full extension slots.

Not an ideal solution but it may go a long way to solving your irritating rattle. If it does work, you need a new 'rack' segment at the base of the seat back.

Good luck.

Hi Michael

I have an 8 week old 2012 RX450 SE-L which I collected with only 4 miles on the clock. It now shows just over 1,000 miles but has had the same problem you describe since day one!

I've just got out of hospital so can't explore too closely yet, but I intend to get into the boot as soon as I'm feeling better and get someone else to drive so I can locate this annoying noise.

I'm not actually convinced that it is the seat, I'm wondering whether it may be the spare wheel and the sound of rubber causing a squeak / noise. I've also noticed that there are 4 plastic fixings in the rear passenger side corner under the boot floor panel. These don't seem particularly secure... Maybe the noise is coming from here? I don't know if you've noticed the same?

My wife's not too concerned, being a typical woman, she says if she hears it she just turns the radio up! But I find it extremely irritating.

Please let me know if you find out what it is, and likewise I will you too.

Allister

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links