Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Swaying Like Windblown At 60Mph+

Jonesy22

Hi, i have just purchased an IS200 and have found that the car sways slightly on motorways at 60mph and above feeling like it is being blown by strong winds......has anyone else had this problem or can help?

Jonesy22

£115 for geometry last time I was there a few months ago. It'll save you £££'s in tyres. It's a better set up than Lexus and Lexus charge £150. With the Lexus set up the front inner tyres wear faster than the rest of the tyre resulting in you having to change tyres before you should have to. Lexus say their set up gives a quiter, more refined ride. I say thats a load of bull! My car felt a lot sturdier afterwards and still feels as refined as it always did :)

defo geometry, my wifes IS200 had the same thing, following it in my car I could see it was crabbing. I had a full geometry done on it and £125 later it is set up beautifully. Everything was out, and some things were WAAAYYY out, like negative camber on one side and positive on the other, like it was set up for Nascar.

I might be able to find the print out at home, but any decent garage should have it on computer anyway. Plus, garages do a 4 wheel alignment, the 1st two places I went to only did fronts, but as its RWD I really wanted the backs done too, and just as well, as the fronts were turning the car left, and the backs were turning the car right.

Firstly, don't give away Tony's specs - he put a lot of time and effort into getting them right, and giving them away just hurts his business. If you want the specs to get your local garage to work to, then phone WIM and you can buy them from him.

Secondly, 4 wheel alignment isn't the same as what WIM do when they set up the geo on your car. Their machine is far more advanced and caters for a lot more measurments than the standard 4 wheel alignment - most garages that do that simply align the front wheels with the rear and adjust the camber. That's great if your rear wheels are spot on, but if they aren't, all you're doing is aligning the front wheels with incorrectly aligned rears. Not good.

Firstly, don't give away Tony's specs - he put a lot of time and effort into getting them right, and giving them away just hurts his business. If you want the specs to get your local garage to work to, then phone WIM and you can buy them from him.

Secondly, 4 wheel alignment isn't the same as what WIM do when they set up the geo on your car. Their machine is far more advanced and caters for a lot more measurments than the standard 4 wheel alignment - most garages that do that simply align the front wheels with the rear and adjust the camber. That's great if your rear wheels are spot on, but if they aren't, all you're doing is aligning the front wheels with incorrectly aligned rears. Not good.

Wasn't directed at me was it? I didn't use Tony, I went to a local garage, they had all specs on computer, more than just alignment, I believe they did caster, toe and camber, took them just over an hour as everything was so far out, I don't know how the previous owner put up with it, unless they only did town driving where it was not as noticeable.

I'm just surprised it is so hard to find a tyre shop in the UK that does a full wheel alignment, in NZ that is all we have, I was astonished when the first 2 garages said they only do the fronts. Unless its because NZ has a higher proportion of RWD cars with the myriad of Falcons, Commodores, Skylines, Chasers etc, but then the UK has more than enough Lexi, BMW, Mercs etc as well, so go figure.

They would have most likely had the Lexus specs, not Tony's. I believe WIM will sell you the specs to have your own garage use them, but their specs are different to Lexus' (Lexus set up is good, but eats the inside of front tyres - the WIM set up is better, just as comfortable, grips more, and doesn't unevenly wear the tyres ;) )

Totally agree with everything Matt had said. Don't give Tony's specs away please and I really wouldn't bother setting your car up to Lexus settings. My front drivers side tyre was still 3.5mm on the centre and outside but 1.9mm on the inner tyre. Quite noticeable just by looking.

If you need your geometry doing then go to WIM or find a local garage to you that has the WIM settings and the know how and equipment to do the job properly. This isn't something your local kwik fit monkey can do for you ;)

Now, not wanting people to divulge any information regarding actual measurements. But can anyone actually say what they adjust differently to Lexus specs?

IE do they change front track, rear track, camber? Just wondering how many things are actually different from the base spec, not by how much.

Having been, to WIM and sorted out my geometry after I lowered the car .... I can say that the car now feels like planted!

before when I was going over road imperfections ... seemed like my rear had a mind of its own and would do a little dance ... for defo could not go more than &0mph confident...

It is worth the trip, I travelled 120miles each way to go there and worth every penny :)

Mine was good before I went, but I went anyway, if just to make sure I wasn't gonna prematurely, or unevenly, wear my tyres. But it's even better since going there - they do know their stuff! I'll be going back again for a check up at some point

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi my lexus is300h sways left and right...max speed I can drive it's about 80Mph....I would say shouldn't be like that....just done wheel aligment at kwik fit...didn't help me at all...now just thinking about WIM....Do you really can say it will be better? Thanks