Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can You See The Cambelt Without Pulling The Front Of The Engine To Pie

This guy has an LS400 for sale and says the Lexus guys have had a look at the cam belt and its in good condition and wont need changing etc.

Can you see the cambelt without pulling the engine to pieces?

Mike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-Ls400-Toyota-Celsior-39000-Miles-/290813564586?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43b5d6d6aa

The only way a Lexus technician would ok it would be by looking at the history of the car and not looking at the belt itself. As Bren says visual inspection doesn't cut it.

If its been changed by Lexus in the past 10 years or in the past 60k then I would say that is the only time Lexus would "ok" it! :)

Remember this car is an import model so consider the insurance cover required and the limited UK companies willing to provide cover.

It is 1999 model, the service history has conveniently been lost but chances are there wasn't any transfered from Japan.

Cambelt should have been replaced in 2009 and the fact it has been stood will have done little to preserve the belt wrapped around the various pullies without moving.

To be completely sure you would need to factor in at least £500.00 for the cambelt job then there are the paintwork issues plus other at present unknown issues that may need sorting

You could probably buy a UK specification model with albeit a higher mileage but a FLSH for little more.

Having said all this I bought mine with 38,000 miles from new and no service history and have never had a major problem.

Can I just say, I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole. It just sounds wrong.

I agree, and I'm pretty sure it's been for sale before, I remember the bird poo bit.

Also, only two pictures is always a turn off for me.

The 100,000 mile quote was for a 1996 LS400.

To clear up the confusion, perhaps someone should contact Lexus directly - not just the dealer - and ask them. On second thoughts, a pukka Lexus mechanic would know best.

I don't ever remember hearing of a belt breaking, though.

All you guys have to do is look in the service book. It'll say in there what service schedule is and what they change on each service and at what mileage/age belts etc should be replaced at.

It does in my IS service book anyway. Cambelt on my IS is 60k or every 10 years and auxiliary belts are also 60k/10 years. And for example it says air filter every 40k or 5 years, diff oil every 50k or 5 years, oil and oil filter every 10k or 5 years and so on....

All you guys have to do is look in the service book. It'll say in there what service schedule is and what they change on each service and at what mileage/age belts etc should be replaced at.

It does in my IS service book anyway. Cambelt on my IS is 60k or every 10 years and auxiliary belts are also 60k/10 years. And for example it says air filter every 40k or 5 years, diff oil every 50k or 5 years, oil and oil filter every 10k or 5 years and so on....

chris are you quoting what it actually says in the book are those just examples - i change my oil/air and cabin filters (as a mimimum) every 12 months and do about 3k miles a year?

So it would appear cruiser mark that your changing your air filter and cabin filter for no reason! Lol.

This is for an IS tho not an LS but I bet for filters etc there's not too much difference. I personally don't think you can change your oil and oil filter too much. I change mine every 4-5000 miles. Also gives me something to do on a boring Sunday :)

Hi LS 400 mk 1,2,3 & 4 100.000 kms 62,000 miles or 6 years, LS 430 100,000 miles or 10 years, as the mark 4 ls 400 has the same engine as the 430 I believe they have increased the interval to 100,000 miles or 10 years. Also depends on the sort of mileage you do if its all short trips in traffic I would change earlier, If its all easy motorway miles you could let it slide a bit.( at your own risk).

This car on eBay has been on a few times & sold ( or not) If its been standing for long periods of time I wouldn't touch it , Higher miles & a good history would be a better option.

I think I have mentioned this before but my handbook for the 1994 LS400 ( non interference engine) does not actually state a replacement interval in the service section, all it says is to check its condition.

With later models being interference type engines it will I assume have a definative mileage/time for replacement

• 3 weeks later...

Now you guys are getting me worried! I've just been on to the previous owner of my LS400 (1998 model, 78,000miles), and he reckons it's never had a new timing-belt since new, as the owner, previous to him was his business -partner, (who bought it new) told him so, also, did any Lexus models ever have timing-chains?

Thanks for that info, now I need to find someone here in Milton Keynes that I can trust to do a timing -belt inspection/change.

CGR Car Sales in Towcester did my 200K LS430 belt change - they also got a good price on third party bits.

Good luck

Bren

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links