Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery / Alternator Problem

johnboy007

Can anyone help me figure out a problem. I have just purchased a rx300 2002 se auto and it has been running fine for a week. This morning when I went out to start it it would only run when I kept my foot on the gas keeping the revs, soon as I took my foot off the gas the engine died. I have now got it running with idle after holding the revs up for 1 or 2 minutes, although it only idles at about 300rpm, which is very low. Going back to my early mechanical days this makes me think its an alternator problem esp as the lights brighten when revving. could it be a bad Battery as well. The Battery was showing over 12v when off & my wife held multi meter on Battery while I revved up engine & she said it crept up from about 13 something to 14.3 after minute.

Any help would be appreciated, John

If you get 12-14volts when revved up to say 1500rpm then it looks like the alternator is good

If the batterry is old it could have a bad cell and gives up soon as any load is put on it

Might be worth checking all Battery connections and ground [earth] points.

Or a different Battery.

thanks for that royt, had Battery checked out and was fine, but only had a 25% charge, even though i had brought it back home over 100miles. I put it on a trickle charge to get it back to 100% and now its fine, Checked it with mutimeter tonight after parking and engine off and showed 13.06 volts, this soubds good to me as i know 12.65+ is equal to 100%. is 13.06 too high or is that ok ?.