Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mega Expensive Rx300 Air Filter

I have just been quoted over £200 for just an Air filter on a 2003 Lexus RX300. Surely this cant be right. Any advice please :(

Turns out to be because it has an "OXYGEN SENSOR".. I found one on eBay via the USA for £91 plus shipping.

The vehicle has only ever done 19 MPG but now its down to 16 MPG?

Apart from the petrol consumption Will it cause any damage If I do not replace this "Oxygen Sensor" ?

That is incredibly expensive.....

But Yes you need your oxygen sensor. It controls the air to fuel mixture for the combustion in your engine so if no oxygen sensor then the ECU doesn't know how much fuel to put in so your MPG will suffer big time or your car will cut out.

Also it'll make your engine managment warning light come on :(

I doubt if the air filter comes in one with the oxygen sensor - the air filter is to be replaced every 10k miles, while the sensor only when it's faulty.

I thought this also.. Is your quote from Lexus? Sounds like you might be taken for a ride..... Hmmmm

If your oxygen sensor was faulty then your engine managment light would be on

I think you need to clarify from your quote just exactly what it is they are quoting for. Air filter has bu99er all to do with the sensor, in fact which sensor are they talking about? You have several in the exhaust system and an air mass sensor in the inlet tract at the air filter housing.......maybe this is where the confusion is arrising from?

It is in fact a faulty "Oxygen Sensor". Boxbrownie. Thanks for explaining that Chris, Yes the engine management light is on & petrol is heavy. 16mpg on the computer which was showing 19.7 before the oxygen sensor packed up.

Don't hang about getting it repaired, as mentined if the sensor has failed the fueling will be wrong and given the drop in MPG it is overfueling, this can also damage the catalytic convertors and they are expensive!