Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do You Prefer The Is200 Over The Is250 - Why?

japthree

am with Barrat on this one, MK1 IS's do look timeless and even more when done up well. MK2's do look good with sport body kits and 18 inch wheels but its just something about the MK1's. I would only opt for a MK2 only in IS350 F sport. with 300 horse power and tweaked handling dynamics, thats enough for both street and track driving sad thing is thats its only available in US/Japan.. :unsure: . if one prefers power over looks then IS250 but will still boil down to personal taste as some might think the MK2's look better than the 1's but i think the 1's look better..

if i would have to jump ship it would be INFINITI G37 saloon once the prices are within budget ..no slouch car either. :winky:

Looks wise, mk1 - I find the mk2 looks bloated, disproportionate and the rear end looks like they couldn't be bothered anymore and wanted to go home.

Performance, it's clear the mk2 is quicker, but having never driven one more than a few hundred feet, I couldn't comment on it's handling or how it feels on the road.

As far a toys/gadgets/etc, surely the mk2 would trump the mk1 in that field, but it's not a car I've really looked into, so not 100% sure what they have, or don't have, over the mk1.

Either way, I know I wouldn't be spending 8-10k on an IS250, as to me, it's not worth that. And IS200 costs 20% of that, but isn't only 20% the car...

...and the rear end looks like they couldn't be bothered anymore and wanted to go home.

I said literally those exact words yesterday when talking about the IS250 styling! lol

I'm looking at upgrading to an IS250 soon, and I can't help but think the IS200 is still the better looking car after all these years.

If it was a choice of both cars with zero miles, it would probably be the IS200 again. But they are all getting on a bit age and mileage wise :(

i have been considering a change to the IS250 recently as i've had my Is200 coming on 4Yrs now. But jst made a decision considering work i've done to my IS200. Timing belt, Clutch replacement and now just replaced ball joints after failure. Feel better now having made the decision. Car going in for respray next week. Happydaze :D

My mates just had a 250 brand new. It's in that pearlescent white colour with smoked grey alloys. It really suits it! At the time I think the IS200 was suitably different, whereas the newer ones aren't different enough. Otherwise I think it's a cracking car, faster than mine and gets better fuel consumption.

Not impressed with the stereo though, not compared to the system in the IS200 SE and Sport.

If it was a facelift 250 with the F-Sport styling then I'd have that but I think my 200 looks better than most 250's.

I actually like the back end of the 250 especially with the twin exhaust but everybody is different. But the back of the 200 still looks better. And I have to agree with the 'bloated' comments :)

If I was choosing between my 200 with the TTE styling kit and 18" wheels with 0 miles on the clock and a 250 SE-L ( which looks boring in my opinion) with 0 miles then I'd choose the 200 everytime :)

If and when I have to change i will have to but IS250 as having owned my first Lexus for over a year know. I have found nothing comes close to Lexus for build quality and Value for money.

I've got a 300 Sportcross, and I really like the hatch arrangement, which is obviously not a feature of the new IS. The new car is also generally bigger than the old one, which i don't need, so I'm staying with the old model. Of course, the new CT is a hatch, but I'm not sure of the Hybrid system's long term relaibility/running costs.

I would like IS200 body with the curves + IS350 engine really deep inside the engine bay and autobox + IS200’ front and backside and IS250’s double holes oops exhaust I meant :D

• 1 month later...

I had a 2001 Sport for 5 years and enjoyed it hugely.

I now have a 250 SEL auto. For me the 250 is better in so many ways. It is just about perfect straight out of the tin.

The engine is beautifully smooth and so quiet.

The seats are much improved for comfort and support.

The sat nav is way better......but then it should be.

For a 2.5 V6 the mpg is really very good...much better than the straight six ever achieved.

The stereo is blisteringly good. Surround sound is very good with a DVD audio disc too.

The boot capacity and somewhat restricted access height is pretty much the same on both models.

If you ever need to wick it up a little hit the ECT power switch, engage sport mode and use the gear paddles. This thing can move most impressively.

Yes it's bigger in the body and the window height is smaller. Personally, I find it a most attractive car from all sides.

At the end of the day it's in the eye of the beholder and if we like the car we have then all is good.

Cheers

Normski

• 5 years later...

Im at a crossroads!

I currently have a 2000 is200 i am contemplating on changing to a is250 as the is200 is rusting quite bad have had both sills done several times and rear subframe has corrosion. Timing belt is due but unsure to pump any more money into car but the is200 is a simple but strong design i.e. engine wise...

And the is250 suffers with carbon build up in engine valves ports ect. due to gdi (gasoline direct injectection) and as it is a v configuration it has way more maintenance i.e. two valve covers and components and less space to work in the engine bay...

Is250 owners who were previous is200 owners. I would really like to hear your opinions on the change over...

But also from is200 owners who are also at the dreadded crossroads or have been and decided to stick with the is200...

Thanks

SANDMAN LEXUS

• 4 weeks later...

Hi scudney thanks for you intrest, i removed the timing belt cover and the timing belt looks resonably new i.e. still has white printed writing on it that hasnt worn off, also i have sanded and undersealed the bottom of car so my concerns have been put on hold for now as it is such a good car. I was looking at is300's but just cant bring myself to buying an atuo. And also due to age of them i will be looking at the similar age related issues bushings, rust ect.

So i have decided i will drive my is200 till next year then change to is250 when insurance renewal is due maybe... sorry i still havent decided 100% but the is200 is such a good car.