Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200/300 Sport Lsd

noby76

Hi guys, had new Pagid brake disks and pads fitted to my car over the weekend and during the process of fitting the back wheels i noticed the mechanic spinning the right trye forwards but the opposite tyre was spinning counter clock wise. I was under the impression both IS200/300 sport had LSD's fitted and both wheels were meant to spin the same directon? does this mean I have an open diff or an LSD? someone correct me if I am wrong..

off topic but Eurocarparts are doing 30% off disks and pads at the mo so worth checking thier website if you think you due new brakes. paid £125 for four set Pagid discs which should have orignally set me almost £180. money saved paid for the labour :winky: .

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming the IS200 Sport is equipped with a Torsen LSD, based on this link

i noticed the mechanic spinning the right trye forwards but the opposite tyre was spinning counter clock wise.

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is normal for a Torsen-type LSD. I'm swapping over my winter tyres tomorrow so will give the wheel a spin and let you know!

I was under the impression both IS200/300 sport had LSD's fitted and both wheels were meant to spin the same directon?

that is true for a clutch pack-type LSD, as was fitted to my Nissan Skyline. I can vouch for this one, as I have jacked up the rear axle on that car, and it was almost impossible to spin the wheel with the gear in position!

does this mean I have an open diff or an LSD?

will check with my car and revert! :)

well my TTE IS300 has Sport stickers on the back windows (and i dont mean aftermarket ones), has a gas sport suspension so sits a bit lower like IS200 Sport, has Sport pedals, runs on 18" low profile Sport tyres, drives and behaves like a Sport Sedan. so this makes it what?? an IS300 Sport...

matt even if Lexus does not state it as a sport model it has all the parts which makes a compact Sports Sedan including bigger brake discs and Limited Slip differential and the last time i checked car manufactures only fitted all these to only Sport models..

The IS200 Sport came with an LSD, but it is not the only version of the IS200 which came with one. The same applies for the IS300.

However unlike a conventional LSD, the Torsen LSD as fitted in the IS200/IS300 does not mean both wheels spin the same direction when you turn them by hand.

Because the gearing in the Torsen LSD only works correctly when it's under load (acceleration during driving) it will not show signs on being an LSD when in the air.

Also make sure you never get your back brakes dyno tested with a Torsen LSD as they don't like having negative forces put on them.

There is a chassis code designation on all the cars with an LSD fitted, but I can't remember what it is, try the search feature and you might find it somewhere.

Yeap that is true... you check on the indentification plate on the firewall ... and it will tell you if you have LSD diff or not, mine does.

But don't expect mirracles on snow hahahaa,

Edit...

This is how, got this from another website

Look at the sticker on your driver door sill/jamb, look for the area that reads "A/TM"

You'll see numbers such as B02A, B02B, B02C

A=no LSD

B,C = LSD

So guys do is300 really come with LSD as stand , cos when I e mail lexus sidcup they said my car don't hav one!

OK now am confused :crybaby:

Not all IS300 have sandard LSD, it depends on the market the car was sold. If you read on the forums you will see... there are different version.

The only way to see if the car had an LSD fitted from the production line is via the VIN plate on the firewall ...

If it does not say LSD there, then the car does not have LSD, but there is a thin possibility that the LSD might have been fitted afterward as a used unit??

Yeap that is true... you check on the indentification plate on the firewall ... and it will tell you if you have LSD diff or not, mine does.

But don't expect mirracles on snow hahahaa,

Edit...

This is how, got this from another website

Look at the sticker on your driver door sill/jamb, look for the area that reads "A/TM"

A=no LSD

B,C = LSD

And how to check it from the vin number then ?

If it helps ... for my car it was easier to take a pic with my phone... as the position of the plate was not the best lol

and then enlarge it on your screen. Makes it much easier... esp with the weather out there.

OK took some pictures

This is where the plate is located on mine

IMG_20121127_144744.jpg

And you should look for the 3rd group of letters/numbers on the bottom line, the one I circled with red.

IMG_20121127_144830.jpg

A=no LSD

B,C = LSD

In my case it is B04B hence it has LSD fitted from factory production line

Right, I had a look at the VIN plate in the engine bay, and this is what I see:

Lexus_Vin.jpg

So, I guess it is safe to assume that my car has a LSD (well, it is an IS200 Sport, but I thought it was worth double-checking :) )

While swapping over to the winter tyres today, I had the chance to jack up the rear axle and give the wheel a spin. This is what I noticed, when the gear is neutral:

And this is with the gear in position:

Potentially the most useless test ever conducted on a Lexus, but there we go! :P

Ok my it's say bo4b too , but I e mail lexus sidcup while bk ago and they say no!

Well more likely the person who replied your email did not know what they were talking about? ... lol

I would email them again with a photo of your VIN plate and tell them what you have found out maybe?