Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello and welcome David.

I never change my tyres for the winter. I have Falkens all the way round and they have never let me down. I know many of the members do change to winter tyres.

Mike

I'm about to replace my front tyres with Falkens ( from the original, but now sadly unavailable Dunlop D8Zs )

Malc

Someone on here did say that these are made by Dunlops and are the replacement for the D8Zs. Mike

If you driving around the UK I don't thinks winter tyres are necessary, people intent to panic when temperature occasionally dropping down and start shopping for winter tyres but bear in mind that will wear out a lot quicker during rest of the seasons because are made from different grader materials

........ and many of us find the LS400 just about nigh impossible to drive safely in snow and ice conditions, notwithstanding many years of clever safe and competent driving ........... it's a very heavy, automatic with rear wheel drive on fat tyres and those road conditions usually make it a real headache driving ......... unlike a little front wheel drive thingy with skinny tyres which clings to the ground, ice and snow and a joy to drive ( the only time tho' :hohoho: ! )

Good luck with it.

Malc

........ and many of us find the LS400 just about nigh impossible to drive safely in snow and ice conditions, notwithstanding many years of clever safe and competent driving ........... it's a very heavy, automatic with rear wheel drive on fat tyres and those road conditions usually make it a real headache driving ......... unlike a little front wheel drive thingy with skinny tyres which clings to the ground, ice and snow and a joy to drive ( the only time tho' :hohoho: ! )

Good luck with it.

Malc

Hi Malc I'm not sure agree with you about being impossible to drive in snow however you are right about the big tyres - if you put winter tyres on your LS will be better and safer to drive in the cold. Winter tyres have a softer compound and so improve breaking when the temp is below 7C. The tread on winter tyres is designed to deal with snow. So you will get better traction in snow and you will have a reduced stoping distance in cold weather along with better road holding.

My wife has a front wheel drive (Avensis) and notices a big improvement in the handling and stopping of her car in the winter with winter tyres on.

You will need decent tread on any tyre for them to work in the wet or snow.

I have not put winter tyres on my 430 yet this year but am about to.

Bren

I have just fitted some michelin alpin sport tyres on my LS as I go to Germany ( Now a legal requirement in winter) Part worns with 7mm tread from Germany. £40 a corner they are the best winter tyres I have used .

I had Continental winter contact( not bad) Hankook Ice bears( quite noisy) before.

I Drive quite often in the snow & find my ls 400 copes really well, unlike the mercs & bmws that seem to always get stuck.

Better a good set of quality part worns than cheaper winter tyres.

I gave the michelins a good testing yesterday in the snow we had banged the brakes on hard , gave it way too much gas & took a couple of corners as in the dry,they didn't loose grip at all. ( on our industrial estate with loads of room -2oC & a couple of cms settled snow.)

Having lived out in Germany for 5 years I am a convert to winter tyres ( if you are driving in temps under 15 oC for most of the year which I do, as I start early mornings for work ,winter tyres wear less in comparison than all year round than summer tyres.

Summer tyres wear more quickly in the winter than winter tyres in the summer.

If you are going down the part worn route make sure your part worns come from Germany they are checked before export & graded. I haven't had a bad one.

Hope this helps Mark

Hi Pete I get my tyres from Ilford Lane there are several tyre places & competition is quite hot, Most of them get the tyres from the German tyre co in bulk, Go to a few part worn tyre places near you You will find some or be able to order some as there is plenty of part worn winter tyres available due to people here wanting summer tyres. Or google German tyre warehouse & buy direct & get them fitted locally .

Hi Pete I get my tyres from Ilford Lane there are several tyre places & competition is quite hot, Most of them get the tyres from the German tyre co in bulk, Go to a few part worn tyre places near you You will find some or be able to order some as there is plenty of part worn winter tyres available due to people here wanting summer tyres. Or google German tyre warehouse & buy direct & get them fitted locally .

Searched for German Tyre on eBay and got this :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWII-German-Luftwaffe-Bomber-Tail-Wheel-Tyre-/160669317565?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2568a339bd

Bren

That's no good, planes won't land even in the ice and snow at Heathrow so damn sure it won't be any good on our LSs on the road :whistling:

Malc

Especially if its the "wrong type of snow" Mike

I lived in Canada years ago, their Winters don't need describing here, snow-chains were mandatory in these conditions, as most people drive big rear-wheel drive V8's -just like my LS400, even with chains, ( or studs,fitted by yourself, or the the local gas-station) driving was precarious, to say the least,bottom line was-leave the car at home,or get a 4x4, same applies here in UK, though our Winters ain't a patch on the ones Canadians endure every year, also, most people here in the UK don't know how to drive in snow, or icy conditions, we had a fall of light snow here in Milton Keynes a few days ago,and people were driving on the roads like lunatics,-though I think that's par for the course these days.

thanks for the info guys..ended up not buying winter tyres at all..not because of anything..had to accompany my better half to Greece for almost 10 days..visited the in-laws before the official holiday..will just have to endure the rest of the winter and hitch with her on the family wagon.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links