Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello I'm New.

Raymond.

Hi all,

New here.

I'm going to have a look at an IS200 Sport tomorrow in the hope of downsizing from my current car.

Anything particular I need to look at? It's a 2001 model on a Y plate if that makes a difference.

Fingers crossed I'll have a Lexus on my drive by next week.

Thanks in advance

Ray

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ray and welcome to LOC. :)

I own a Y plate 2001 IS200 Sport. Best car I've ever owned by a long way.

2 problems with the car which are very common are sticking brake callipers and the CD player not working. If its got any kind of vibration through the steering wheel especially between 50-60MPH and juddering on braking then these are the signs.

This thread should help you. There's also an IS200 buyers guide on here somewhere but I can't find it right now. Good luck :)

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=69388&st=45#entry792660

Thanks Chris,

I've read some things about the CD player playing up / not working. Would I be able to fix that or would I have to buy a replacement?

I'd like some info on coding extra's to the car. I want to retrofit an OEM NAV system which looks straight forward but I assume it would need coding to the car afterwards? We have a Celica and everything is plug and play but on my BMW I have to code everything or it won't work.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a good read on that before I go and see the car tomorrow.

Ray

Hi well there's no known cure for the CD player as far as I know.

As for fitting a OEM Sat nav.... Forget it mate unless your an expert auto electrician. It's not really possible without a lot of time and money. It's def not plug and play. If the car didn't have say nav from the factory then fitting one is a nightmare. Where did you see that it looks straight forward. Its far from it!! There are many threads on here of what an absolute pain it is to do. You have none of the wiring back there to do it etc... Here read this

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=77914&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

As for coding, no the stereo is not coded on the IS and if you wanted to swap your stereo to an aftermarket one then this is pretty easy and is plug and play.

I'll add the CD-player to the list to be checked tomorrow along with a few others from the thread you provided.

I had a look and I can get hold of a NAV screen, GPS Aerial, disc drive and both complete looms. (one for the front and one for the rear) I'm quite capable of running looms/wiring but I have zero experience with Lexus.

Is there an accessible website where I can find the cars body electrical system and component info? (Like this but for Lexus/Toyota)

Thanks so far for your help btw. Much appreciated indeed!

No worries that what this club is all about :) :)

Well it would appear you are capable of putting the sat nav in... Fair play to you mate.

For advice seek out the members that have done it as I have no clue in this area. Sparkystav is the guy for this, he's a bit of a Guru with all things IS200 and the term Stav Navs has been used more than once lol :)

I think I need to go and have a look through Mr. Stav Navs posts in a bit and see what's what.

Maybe with his help I can make it happen. I'm used to looking at headache giving diagrams but I feel like I'm jumping in the deep end with a different make car but my mind is set on an IS200 now B)

Off Topic: I wired and coded this and this into my current car to show you the level of headache that can be achieved.... :lol:

Well today I have put a deposit on a 2001 Y-reg IS200.

I wanted a fresh MOT and TAX on the car to do the deal so it should be on my drive by Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest. B)

Even the misses likes it :blink: (she'll be happy to see the back of the 5-Series)

Just a thought Ray make sure you have at least 1 master key with it or you'll run into all sorts of problems getting a spare. More than 1 key is preferable but if it comes with only 1 make sure the casing is black this determines the master key :)

I was going to mention about the keys. Originally they came with three keys (two black 3-button keys, which are both master keys, and a grey 2-button key which is the valet key - the valet key only does the ignition and drivers door lock, and won't open the boot or glovebox, and it won't let you code a new key with it. So as Chris said, the bare minimum is 1 black master key)

In regard to the sat nag, seriously don't bother. Firstly, nothing is in the car to hook it up with - it's not like other manufacturers that put the same loom in all the cars then just plug different things in according to spec; Lexus didn't bother with that, and if it didn't come with sat nav, then there is no loom, and nothing to connect up to. Secondly, for the time and money involved, it's just not worth it, for what is an antiquated and sub-par technology system. It runs on discs, which isn't as good as flash memory (and is susceptible to water damage since it lives in the boot which often get wet and damp), it's not touch screen, and even though it has remotes, they are fiddly and is like using a 10 year old Nokia phone instead of todays smartphones.

I really wanted it in mine too, and was looking for one with it, but decided a better car without it was worth buying over a lesser car with it. I've bought the dash unit for it, and and going to attempt to gut it, and fit a 7" touchscreen Windows CE based LCD, and hopefully run TomTom Navigator on it, and if it all works, I'll also try to plumb in a reverse cam too. However, I'm absolutely useless with wiring and electricals, so I'll probably fail!

Cheers Chris, Matt,

I didn't take any pictures of the car but as soon as I get it on Tuesday or Wednesday I'll snap some picts and stick them up.

It's a blue Sport with I 'think' the same wheels as in Matt's sig.

I'm going over the wiring diagrams as we speak (and all last night) but I really need to take the dash, seats and carpets out before I take the NAV plunge.

The car comes with two black keys with buttons, no grey one.

Two black keys will be fine. The valet key is nice to have, but mine just lives in a drawer just in case I should lose or break both black keys, and need it. (also worth noting, the keys break very often - the plastic cracks around the base of the blade, usually from them constantly being in jean pockets and getting stressed. You can buy replacement casings with new blades, get the blade cut for a few quid at a local place, and then simply swap the button pack, which has the immob chip embedded, into the new key, so no need to get a brand new key with electrics from Lexus. Price difference, about a £10-£15 getting an eBay blank bought and cut, or £140ish for Lexus to supply and code)

All IS' (except the S model, that came with 16's) came with the wheels you see on mine (17x7 5 spoke). 18's were an option, in a couple of different designs. On the subject of wheels, Lexus alloys, in general, corrode quite badly, and the paint flakes off very easily. Mine have been refurbed (by the previous owner), but I have a spare set with winter tyres on, that are pretty grotty and flakey. As standard, they are silver, with the faces of the spokes and the rim edge diamond cut and polished. Many that have been refurbed, like mine, are just silver all over, with no diamond cutting/polishing (since it's cheaper, and personally, I think it looks better too - the highly polished face edge can scratch very easily and dull)

Back to sat nav - it's your call of course, but I really wouldn't bother. It's a far better idea to get the motorised dash unit, rip it apart, and fit in an after market stand alone nav unit (like a Sony, Garmin or TomTom)

That's very good to know about the keys. BMW is odd with these and you cannot get them cut round the corner, they are ordered from your V5 and take a week and are about £100-120.

The alloys on the car I've bought started to corrode but I expected that as they are the same on the Celica we have. I have just sold my winter wheels of the BMW to recoup some money and source some for the IS. When I get some then the summers can be refurbed. They're not bad actually atm.

If the NAV thing fails then I can always gut it and do what you suggested earlier.

I can't believe I'm buying a car so close to Christmas. I would have been on a right mad buying spree right now otherwise icon_eek.gifoldforum5smiley.gif

Well, picked it up today and all is well.

Different from the 5 but ill get used to it. Not in a bad way though...

PDC isn't working right I think but I'm sure with some help from here they'll be sorted soon.

Even the CD player works....

Not been home yet but I took a picture when I stopped for some dinner.

9DE4073E-A630-4BD1-B5F0-ECEC2FB65A13-836-00000111BDECA5EB.jpg

Colour is really nice but its filthy now after a 200 mile round trip....

I really wish it had NAV but ill fit that in the summer.

Got some mats coming from Shorty soon. Need to get the PDC working but the rest will stay standard till it gets a bit warmer.

Ill try and get some pictures up over the weekend when I've cleaned it. (Depending on snow)

At the risk of me sounding stupid here, by PDC your talking about parking sensors right?

These aren't standard on the car and that beep your hear when selecting reverse is just to tell you your in reverse. Or has yours had sensors fitted aftermarket?

Yes - it's one of the annoyances of a manual IS; as soon as you engage reverse there is a constant beeping until you disengage reverse. As Chris said, it's just to tell you that you are in reverse