Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Wheels

I have read numerous topics on this and I know what a difference they make. I have been using them for the last 4 winters.

What I am looking for is a list (pictures and names or style numbers) with OEM alloys that will fit my IS200.

Ideally 16" to keep the tyre prices and width down to save pennies on tyres and get more grip.

I have Googled this also and all that comes up are non OEM boy racer alloys which is not what I want.

Firstly, congratulations on your decision to get an IS200. :)

Right, the photo below is my car, an IS200 Sport, with the factory 17" alloys and Toyo summer tyres:

Summer.jpg

And the photo below is the same car with winter tyres, ContiWinterContact TS810 205/55/R16, and 16" alloys from a Lexus IS220D:

Winter.jpg

Hope that helps!

That does help indeed.

I really like the car to look OEM so I'll be on the search for a cheap set of rims to wrap some winter rubber round.

I had exactly the same tyres on mine. I think they are brilliant. Stupidly let them go too cheap I think..... Linky thing smiley_math.gif

The majority of wheels in the Lexus family will fit an IS as they share the same PCD and centre bore. I've got Mk1 RX300/Toyota Harrier wheels on mine.

RX300Wheell.jpg

IS200-11.jpg

In terms of 16" wheels, there's a number of other options besides these and the 220d wheels. The IS200 S came with 16s in a couple of designs depending on year, plus those from early GS300 etc also fit no problem.

If I'd have had the option, I'd have gone for the Harrier wheels too (ideally with 205/55/16 Continental ContiWinterContact's), but try finding a set of those for sensible money! So I went for standard issue 17's, albeit a little grotty and scabby, for £50 (£78 inc p&p) and wrapped them in 205/50/17 Uniroyal Plus 66's

If I'd have had the option, I'd have gone for the Harrier wheels too (ideally with 205/55/16 Continental ContiWinterContact's), but try finding a set of those for sensible money! So I went for standard issue 17's, albeit a little grotty and scabby, for £50 (£78 inc p&p) and wrapped them in 205/50/17 Uniroyal Plus 66's

I take it that 225 45 17 would fit the standards 17's OK Matt?

These are the only ones coming up at a slightly reasonable price. Wrong time a year I know...

Just sold mine for next to nowt with alloys and now I have to spend more than double the amount on new ones.

Should've changed cars in summer haha

These are good, although the 2nd pair are a little low for my liking, they'd still be useable for a season or two

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-2-WINTER-TYRES-205-50-17-DUNLOP-M3-7-8mm-/261140113353?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&fits=Tyre+Width%3A205%7CAspect+Ratio%3A50%7CDiameter%3A17&hash=item3ccd29e7c9

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-2-WINTER-TYRES-205-50-17-DUNLOP-M2-5-6-mm-/251197366665?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&fits=Tyre+Width%3A205%7CAspect+Ratio%3A50%7CDiameter%3A17&hash=item3a7c87a189

And these look good too, 2k use is nothing so long as they've been on and off in the right temps;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snow-Tyres-x-4-Jinyu-205-50-R17-89H-2505017-/121037052527?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&fits=Tyre+Width%3A205%7CAspect+Ratio%3A50%7CDiameter%3A17&hash=item1c2e5eda6f

Couple that with a cheap set of standard 17's (or onto your own 17's if you're intending to get a set of 18's for normal/summer use) and you're laughing.

I paid £78 for my second set of rims, £250 for tyres, and another £50 for fitting, total £378. Sure there's probably cheaper ways to do it, but this way 1) I've got two sets of wheels/tyres ready to go, so simple to swap over myself with no ongoing fitting costs (as you would if you only had tyres and swapped them twice a year), 2) it seems excessive, but you're lengthening the life of both sets by only running them for part of a year, and 3) my nicely refurb'd rims don't get all salted and gritted in the winter months

Cheers Matt,

I have seen the set of four but it's too far away for me. The other two I have now added to my eBay list :)

I can't believe prices of winter tyres atm (I know it's the wrong time for buying) I bought a set of Continental Contiwinter contacts with 7mm tread 4 or 5 years ago for £112 delivered. :ph34r:

I looked at some 18's but there weren't many coming up and I really need winters on now as I can't get the thing off the drive and the BMW is in bits.

Bought some standard 17's today for 80 quid. Need painting but they are all round etc. Might paint them black so the car doesn't look the same throughout the year. I need to google some picts for a blue IS with black wheels...

Mine are in need of a paint - quite badly bubbled and flaking (http://tinyurl.com/cjeadeb), but they'll do for winter, and I'll see about sanding and painting them in the spring/summer.

The set of 4 you might be able to convince the guy to ship. The ones I bought were collection only, but the guy agreed to ship them to me after I showed him Paisley Freight will collect 4x 17" tyres and deliver next day for £25, and just need them wrapped (2x pairs) and labeled. Paisley delivered both my wheels and tyres (different sellers)

http://www.paisleyfreight.com

Initially, I was looking at Dunlop WinterSport 3D's, and got outbid on a couple of auctions for them, along with a couple auctions for Avon IceTour's too, but the one that pished me off the most was a set of 9mm tread (barely used, only a few months old) ContiWinterContact's, which went for £256 - only £5 more than I bid!!! And they were close enough to collect! (probably 45mins away)

I thought I didn't need winter tyres, never needed them before. Thought it would be a waste of money. I thought I don't live in Russia so there's no point!

How wrong I was! I've spent the last 2 days sliding on snow and ice! I'm genuinely scared I'm gonna prang my lex! I hit my front wall coming out of my drive this morning. The wheels started spinning (yes I was in snow mode) so I floored it to power through. The TRC kicked in, I couldn't get it to rev over 1200rpm and it just slid sideways into the wall all within about 5 seconds! Lucky only a small mark which will t cut out. Took the TRC off and I was able to get off my drive after 15 mins! :(

I'm now going to get a lift to work tomorrow with my mate in his land rover disco.

Morale of the story.... Buy winter tyres if you own an IS200!

Haha @ the boot pic! I was amazed with the load capabilities of the IS - I had 4x 17" wheels, with tyres on, PLUS 4x 17" tyres all in the car at the same time! (4x wheels w/tyres on the back seats, and 4x tyres only in the boot). Properly amazed!

When (if) I bother to sand and paint mine, I'll just do them in silver again - I'm not a fan of black wheels, and it doesn't bother me if they are the same/similar to the summer wheels. I just think the standard silver looks best on the car (as it does on 99% of cars, IMO)

Just bought some black paint so black they will be. If it doesn't look good then I get them refurbed and powder coated or painted in silver.

Tyres should be here on Tuesday just in time for the warm front to come over.......

It'll only be temporary I guess.

I painted one of my spare sets of the BMW in silver and it looked odd as BMW uses some deeper coloured silver. I need to find out what colour the originals are and see if I can match it.

Hopefully I can get the shed up to temp next week to paint the things.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links