Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Valve Stem Seals

webby73

Hi would anyone know how much it would cost to replace the valve stem seals on a lexus is200 or is there any additive you can add to your oil to help , my lexus is200 smokes in morning for a few seconds the smoke is white/grey smells a bit like burnt oil after initial puff of smoke in the morning or if i haven't driven it for a few hours it dosent smoke at all oil seems to go down a tiny bit uses no coolant good on fuel can anyone give any advice on this as i have been told it is valve stem seals thanks.

Well when you say it smokes a lot are you sure it's burning oil? If the smoke is white then that's perfectly normal. If its blue or black then you have a problem. It's common for the IS to smoke a lot on cold days and while the engine is warming up. Mine smokes like mad at 7am when it's -2C but after a few miles it's not nocitable.

You say yours uses a little oil. Are you 100% sure. My experience is that the IS does not use a drop of oil. I've had 2 and neither use any oil what so ever! Remember when checking your oil the level will be slightly different when checking it cold or warm.

Read these threads, they might help :)

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=79594&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=77656&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

I should have added that If it is a valve stem seal then you need it fixed ASAP. If its letting too much oil through which if you have blue smoke it sounds like it is then you can damage the CAT which is expensive for a new one.

Oh and their pretty cheap in most cars. Never bought any for the Lex but on my Honda they were less than £10 per seal. I don't know what a mechanic would charge for fitting however.

The smoke is like a thinnish white smoke sometimes it has a very very slight hardly noticable blue , i get more some mornings than other mornings but only lasts for a couple of seconds maybee im just paranoid lol car runs very well no hassles at all .

Make sure that you are not confusing smoke with steam. A lot of condensation can accumulate overnight and when the car is started, particularly on a cold morning, the water heats and converts to steam. This can also be accompanied by droplets of water being pushed out with the exhaust gases.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links