Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Blowing Cold Air Passenger Side

When i first start my car up in the morning i can hear a gurgling from behind the dashboard.Also when i i put my blower on its blowing cold air out of passenger side vents but hot air from drivers side..

Not using any water or overheating could it be my servo? because i notice when i change the vent setting i can hear a grumble from behind the dash..

hi,i topped up my anti freeze last month,but as far as i know i am not aware if the coolant system has ever been drained.

Ive had the car 6 months now and the heater was deffo working both sides when i bought it.

It does seem like a air lock as like i say i can here the gurgle on start up when cold..Do you know if there is any sort of bleeding nipple or valve to let the air out or would i need to do a full flush? thanks

The way to bleed it would be to run the engine with the cap off the rad, heater on full blast and gently squeeze the rad hoses to eliminate air pockets, refitting the rad cap before it starts boiling over ..... I'm unaware of any specific bleed points on a Lexus.

Its strange that both sided have blown hot in the past though

I cant be completely sure that both sides always blowed hot,as i was thinking maybe ive just noticed it because of the cold weather and having the heater on more.I do recall the gurgling noise when i forst bought the car though so maybe it has always been there..

I had a go today at removing the rad cap and it has helped but still not perfect..I'll try again over the weekend and if all else fails will probably get a coolant flush done after the new year.

Had to do mine the other day. Try to park the car on a slight incline with the front of the car upmost.

Then start the car from cold with the radiator cap removed. Allow the car to warm up and give the heater pipes good fast squeezes. They are the two pipes near the exhaust manifold. Also give the radiator hoses a good squeeze too. There will be some fluid loss, but you should also get some bubbles of air coming out. Also give the throttle a few blips to rev the engine and get the water running round. Note that the water will fall on the drive belts when it escapes and most likely give you a good spraying!

Finally wash the coolant off the radiator and engine bay area with fresh water when finished.

If someone has previously changed the water and not done a good job of it, or if it has run low for whatever reason.

You only really need a slight incline, perhaps just enough to get the top of the radiator higher than all of the other pipes. But in reality it should be possible to bleed the system with the car level. I had no choice as my driveway is sloped.

• 4 years later...

sorry to bump this thread but ive just tried the above procedure, put my car on a slight hill, had rad top off and let the car warm up, pressed all the water pipes and no bubbles came out so im assuming theres no air lock in the water? yet the passenger side blower is cold and driver side is lukewarm, what else could it be?

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:00 PM, steve2006 said:

If it is dual zone it could be one of the flaps which control airflow under the dash.

im not sure but my is200 is 1999 model, im sure it doesn't have a dual zone climate control, rather single, but I could be wrong?

• 6 years later...

Hi, I'm driving in Lexus IS200 02 reg in 2023 and the driver's side is really cool air with the heating on full. 

Should I squeeze the pipes then? 

There's no gurgling?

I guess it's probably not a thermostat if the right side works... Just a guess though.

It did have a new radiator this year.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 5:41 PM, Caroline Jane said:

Hi, I'm driving in Lexus IS200 02 reg in 2023 and the driver's side is really cool air with the heating on full. 

Should I squeeze the pipes then? 

There's no gurgling?

I guess it's probably not a thermostat if the right side works... Just a guess though.

It did have a new radiator this year.

Not sure could be your coolant needs replacing or sensory of air blockage