Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My IS250 is now 5 years old and i've read alot of american IS owners having carbon buildup issues. I read that this was because they have very low octane fuel and their premium is about 94ron, and this causes excess carbon build over our regular stuff.

Problem is that my IS 250 AUTO occasionally suffers from the symptoms of carbon build up. It shivers from time to time as if it is about to stall. And last winter during a cold start I had the check VSC light come on and again once this winter. This disappears as soon as car is running for a few minutes.

I read somewhere about adding some sort of fuel cleaner in to the fuel tank when filling petrol. Any recommendations as to what product? Do i add an entire bottle of the cleaner before filling the tank?

Thanks

I find its the fuel that's the problem. From owning my ISF I've always used Shell Advanced or BP Ultimate but one day I had to fill up using Sainbury's own regular. After that the engine ticked over at 400rpm and shivered like you said. Also there was a slight hesitation when applying the throttle. Next fill up with Shell I was back to 700rpm idle and instant throttle response.

My IS250 is now 5 years old and i've read alot of american IS owners having carbon buildup issues. I read that this was because they have very low octane fuel and their premium is about 94ron, and this causes excess carbon build over our regular stuff.

Problem is that my IS 250 AUTO occasionally suffers from the symptoms of carbon build up. It shivers from time to time as if it is about to stall. And last winter during a cold start I had the check VSC light come on and again once this winter. This disappears as soon as car is running for a few minutes.

I read somewhere about adding some sort of fuel cleaner in to the fuel tank when filling petrol. Any recommendations as to what product? Do i add an entire bottle of the cleaner before filling the tank?

Thanks

Hiya james250, You may well have read some of my threads relating to carbon build-up in my IS220d and the steps that I took to minimise the problem, and which produced excellent results. I now own an IS250 and I have read many of the threads re the carbon problem on this forum and the American one. The steps that I have taken this time was to put a can of AR6400 (450ml I think it was)in a full tank of petrol and when this has been used up you merely put in a small quantity of AR6200 at each fill-up. The AR6200 comes in a bottle with a measuring facility and all you need 1ml to 10litres of fuel, although the recommendation is for 1ml for 5ltrs for the first 3 treatment.

I have already found that this has improved my car in many ways including an increase in mpg figures. An additional point that may be of interest to you and, purely from my personal standpoint, is that I only ever buy Shell fuel, standard unleaded as opposed to premium, the AR6200 does the rest.

Go to this link and have a read, you might like to give it a go.........

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/385/archoil-ar6200-fuel-modification-complex--combustion--burn-rate-modifier-lubricant

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Geoff, i did read some of your posts. So the AR6200 is a fuel additive to add to the fuel to prevent problems. What about to clean the existing build-up? I've read that the BG44K is supposed to be good for that. Any experience or ideas about the BG44K? Was thinking of getting the BG44K and then once cleaned-up start using the AR6200 on a regular basis during fill-ups.

Thanks for that Geoff, i did read some of your posts. So the AR6200 is a fuel additive to add to the fuel to prevent problems. What about to clean the existing build-up? I've read that the BG44K is supposed to be good for that. Any experience or ideas about the BG44K? Was thinking of getting the BG44K and then once cleaned-up start using the AR6200 on a regular basis during fill-ups.

Precisely what I have done.

Precisely what I have done.

That's great to hear. I've ordered a bottle of BG44K :) when my tank needs filling up, should i empty the entire bottle into my tank and then add the fuel?

Out of curiosity does your rpm drop when the car shivers?

Yeap that's exactly what it does and then it rises again and becomes ok.

"What about to clean the existing build-up?"

Re your above question. I decided to go for the AR6400 to get rid of any existing gunky build-up as I had read a lot of positive reports on its use by the yanks and, as they seem to suffer more from the carbon problem in their 250's because of the fuel that they use, I thought that that was recommendation enough.

Yeap that's exactly what it does and then it rises again and becomes ok.

I had the same issue and BG made a difference back in June. The mistake I made was, I poured BG into my tank right before a trip to Scotland and hence it was in and out of the system too quickly.

It's coming back now and I had the car shiver a few days ago so I will be trying it again. I will also be getting what Geoff recommended. Going through the thread on the US forum. it is evident that carbon buildup is a serious issue on these engines. Hence, I like the idea of constantly treating your fuel.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

any particular style of driving to help the BG44K? also where does all the existing carbon build-up go? i'm assuming it comes out of the exhaust. But i guess I wont be able to see this as this will all be happening while i am driving? or will i see carbon residue on the exhaust tail-pipe?

• 1 year later...

Carbon build up issues are no more with the aid of a very simple service with hydrogen technology.

I had mine done, it took 30 mins and she ran like a dream.

Cost £70.00 to remove the carbon build up and left my car with a great increase in performance, power and fuel efficiency.

It ran quieter and smoother.

It cleans the carbon from the air intake right through to the exhaust including turbo's, valves, combustion chamber, inlet manifold etc,DPF(if not too far gone), EGR and CATs...

Very effective, cheap and none invasive service.

• 4 weeks later...

Facebook page and pictures look good.......Is this like Terra Clean?

This company in Milton Keynes offer a discount to LOC as I asked and its around £80-£90

http://www.monster-sport-europe.com/maintenance/terraclean.html

You can purchase on eBay then call then to book your car in.

Facebook page and pictures look good.......Is this like Terra Clean?

This company in Milton Keynes offer a discount to LOC as I asked and its around £80-£90

http://www.monster-sport-europe.com/maintenance/terraclean.html

You can purchase on ebay then call then to book your car in.

It's different to Terraclean.

Terraclean uses chemicals and only really cleans the combustion chamber and injectors as far as I'm aware.

Also its more expensive and time consuming.

The hydrogen service uses pure hydrogen which you could run your car all day on but within 30 mins cleans everything that matters when it comes to carbon build up.

In conclusion I would say its cheaper, safer and more effective lol.

• Like 1

Will need to book mine and see what happens - Will let you know my experience.

Book on FB and its £50

Lee, do you work for the company as your from Hertfordshire and so is the company..LOL

Thank you for recommending this!!

Will need to book mine and see what happens - Will let you know my experience.

Book on FB and its £50

Lee, do you work for the company as your from Hertfordshire and so is the company..LOL

Thank you for recommending this!!

Lol, no, Im in Hertfordshire and found him on Fb and he operates in the Hertfordshire area.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links