Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

I drive a 2001 ls430. Ive had 4 mk4 ls400 in the past. I had only 1 problem in one of those ls400 and that was it needed a new alternator and that is all, other than that i had not one problem with any of the other ls400 i had. Now that i drive an ls430 im thinking of going back to a 98 ls400 due to the fact that the ls430 isnt as smoother drive as the ls400, i have heard also the ls430 has air suspension problems, cd player problems, water getting into the boot due to rubber etc etc. Now i did not have any of these problems on the ls400's i had.

Now what do you guys who drive an ls400 or 430 think? Do you guys think im right to go back to an ls400?

A Lexus mechanic told me the 400 was of a better build quality than the 430. they are older now so I suppose its a case of horses for courses. I am by no means saying the 430 is badly built. just the 400s were over engineered to sweep the market in the USA. I am saving my pennies at the moment to buy a late 430 as they don't seem to be showing up too many problems with age.

A case of personal choice I think. As they are both fine cars.

I had 3 Ls400s - ran them for two years from new (about 45K miles) and they were pretty good cars. I agreee they were smoother than the 430 with air suspension - however the 430 is a better car - more refined and more features. My current 430 I have had from new (2002) and have done 203K miles with no major probs - just the normal things you would expect. When they built the 400 they had an almost unlimited budget to take on Merc and BMW with their Luxuary Export US and they suceeded in building a fantastic brand and reputation. The 430 was a reskin and update pretty good but not a quantum leap.

Bren

ive had both the Mark 3 and 4 - i now have an LS430 - i agree with brendan - the Ls400 are smooth and quiter (we are talking marginally) however the LS430 is so much more refined and full of toys - I would choose it anyday over an LS400

HTH

ive had both the Mark 3 and 4 - i now have an LS430 - i agree with brendan - the Ls400 are smooth and quiter (we are talking marginally) however the LS430 is so much more refined and full of toys - I would choose it anyday over an LS400

HTH

You have that beautiful face lift in the right colours, Dribble Dribble drool drool :msn-cry: :msn-cry: :msn-cry::driving: :driving: Not green Mark :D

well i had a test drive today in a 430 ,spent the first 45 mins going trough the spec its a tec heads dream, and a very nice drive ,side by side the 400 is a nicer looking car but did like it.funny thing is there is a celsias on another tread hear 94 plate and it nearly matches it for toys makes me wonder why Lexus badged 400s didnt have this kit.

I do think the ls400 is a more smoother drive, plus on the ls400 you wont get any problems as in air suspension sensors and they are as lexus dealers told me an expensive job

I have had 2 1995 MK-III LS400s. Both fantastic cars, best car ever, just a very different drive to my Ferrari Testarossa.

If I could afford the Fuel, I would get another MK-III.

I hear the newer cars have more toys, just not quite the same whisper silent smooth ride as the 400.

Daily drive is now a top of the range Skoda, Laurin & Klement Octavia 1.9 TDI running on WVO, 50mpg at 25pence a litre :innocent: makes my 25,000 miles a year very affordable :shifty: .

Horses for courses.

I have had 2 1995 MK-III LS400s. Both fantastic cars, best car ever, just a very different drive to my Ferrari Testarossa.

I hear the newer cars have more toys, just not quite the same whisper silent smooth ride as the 400.

Daily drive is now a top of the range Skoda, Laurin & Klement Octavia 1.9 TDI running on WVO, 50mpg at 25pence a litre :innocent: makes my 25,000 miles a year very affordable :shifty: .

Horses for courses.

Does your motor smell like a chip ship going up the road. I like the idea of alternative fuels - LPG for me at the moment but if it gets much more expensive I will have to plant sugar beet in my field (8.5 acres) and turn it into alcohol for my Lex.

Bren

I had a 400 for 6 years and drove it approx 90'000 mles...sold it with 203 on it.....bought a 460 L with 10.000 miles on thinking It was a clever move.....

no way is it anywhere near as quiet or as well put together as the 400.....the 430 I have only test driven....wasnt as quiet ... didnt like the looks myself.

And the " Toys " argument ?...........well the 460 has " everything ".....and apart from the first day I got it.....and I never use any of them { except the rear view camera } :geek:

Sorry lads.....but in my honest experience.....the 400 MK3 was easily the best car I have ever owned ....driven.....and worked on.

I would have to agree with you moriwaki. The ls400 mk4 was the best car i had ever driven. This ls430 isnt as good as the ls400 drive wise. Okay so the ls430 has more toys, but the drive on it isnt that good. I think i made a bad move

I have a MKIII and a FL 430. I'm totally sold on the 430. It is sublimely comfortable, yes its not as quiet as the 400 but I think its better, more modern looking and with an LPG conversion you'll be laughing all the way to the bank! It has all the kit that modern cars have now and more and although you can talk to your Ford Fiesta these days there is no way that you could achieve the same levels of luxury that you do in the 430 for the same money. I love my 430 and realy feel the man about town when I'm out in it. I'd avoid the pre-facelift though, it just falls short in kit and reliability stakes from what I've seen, it's also a bit ugly in my opinion. I still enjoy the 400, it's very soft and very quiet but it falls short on kit by a long way.

I have a MKIII and a FL 430. I'm totally sold on the 430. It is sublimely comfortable, yes its not as quiet as the 400 but I think its better, more modern looking and with an LPG conversion you'll be laughing all the way to the bank! It has all the kit that modern cars have now and more and although you can talk to your Ford Fiesta these days there is no way that you could achieve the same levels of luxury that you do in the 430 for the same money. I love my 430 and realy feel the man about town when I'm out in it. I'd avoid the pre-facelift though, it just falls short in kit and reliability stakes from what I've seen, it's also a bit ugly in my opinion. I still enjoy the 400, it's very soft and very quiet but it falls short on kit by a long way.

She looks nice in silver. Long lasting style. Mike

Horses for courses.

Does your motor smell like a chip ship going up the road. I like the idea of alternative fuels - LPG for me at the moment but if it gets much more expensive I will have to plant sugar beet in my field (8.5 acres) and turn it into alcohol for my Lex.

Bren

Bren, ask yourself how worried I might be if my motor is a little smelly as I drive about at the equivalent of 300 mpg cost compared to a proper car ( ls400). Mare, it is 2 pence a mile.

Actually it only smells when it is cold, an

I look forward to having a 430 one day because it seems a fantastic car, but I'm not in a hurry. And if there were much newer 400s around I'd probably have one of those instead. Having lots of kit is all very well, but at my (bottom) end of the market, what's more important is reliability and value for money. From what I've read on here, the 430 will never beat the 400 in those areas - and the 460 even less. Much as I'd like a 430 or a 460 (fancy swapping, moriwaki? LOL) it does seem that as you progress to Lexus's more recent cars, the build and even the refinement are less good.

I too am interested in this topic, as unless you can find a W Reg 400 with 60k, there will come a time when the move to a 430 is financially sensible. Its just a pity it looks like an old friend who's broken their nose!

Just braved Lexus Guildford for my first dealer service. ("A" service, quoted at £415 incl VAT).

Courtesy car was a CT200h (I wont be swapping). On collection I was very happy with a bill for £330, which included a full service, fluids, etc, pollen filter, blade rubbers, indicator bulb and an amazing valet throughout. The thorough breakdown of likely upcoming problems suggest she has a few more inexpensive years before the undercarriage requires investment, Happy days!

If your car is a 2000 reg it must be one of the last ones - you're lucky. If a W-reg 60k did come up, all of us on here would be fighting for it, probably.

At one time I would have agreed with you about the 430's looks, but I have to say they've grown on me - though it could never be considered a beautiful looking car. As you say, it's what all we 400 owners will probably be driving in a few years' time. Though I'm a bit concerned by the intercooler problems discussed on here recently. I know it's not a widespread problem, but when it happens it's likely to make the car unrepairable. That's less likely to happen with a 400 unless everything needs fixing at the same time.

If your car is a 2000 reg it must be one of the last ones - you're lucky. If a W-reg 60k did come up, all of us on here would be fighting for it, probably.

There's been an X reg on eBay for ages, 130,000 miles though.

I'm with you, Will, and I'm on my second LS430. it's a car with a soul, and every time I get in for a drive I still marvel at how amazing it is. And that's after 90,000 miles in my first one!

I'm still finding out stuff about these cars after 5 years of ownership, like yesterday I found out how to adjust the sensitivity of the smog sniffer!

Nige

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links