Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As my 99 reg came with no service history , i am going to do a complete service myself.I would like your imput on the best engine oil/ trans oil / dif oil and plugs , plus are the plug a hard job.And is there any aditions you would recommend

I use 5w-30 castol magnitec fram oil filter ( accessible from inspection cover near side front wheel arch) I have a K& N air filter cleanable. plugs are every 60k iridium (originals available on ebay). If you change your plugs disconect your Battery both terminals as you need to remove the main fuse cover & its easy to short out the main bolt in fuse ( I know from experience). Transmission fluid is Toyota only. if it is still cherry red a 2 litre drain & top up is fine. Its all straight forward the only special tool you may need is a long reach plug spanner available for about £10 from most motor acc shops.

Good luck Mark

I use Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 Fully Synthetic oil ( often on offer at Halfrauds) plus a genuine Toyota filter/sump plug sealing washer (£10.00).

Transmission fluid has to be only Toyota Type IV at around £60.00/5Ltrs.(This job may be cheaper done at Lexus as it needs 20L for a flush)

Diff oil is a good quality Hypoid SAE90

Recommended spark plugs are NGK Iridiums or equivalent. The engines are coil over plug so no leads to worry about but care needs to be taken when taking off the coil packs.

I would also check the antifreeze or replace it with Red Toyota long life.

My son has just done mine with Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 fully synthetic (from Halfords). Also with oil filter and sump plug washer from Lexus dealer; I have no idea of the relative merits of different oil filters and for £14 (I think) for filter and washer from Lexus prefer to stick with the brand as it is a relatively small amount of money for 6-12 months motoring compared to the petrol that will go in.

I got my oil ffrom Toyota. 60% discount about 5 years ago.

Buy in Bulk, 60 litres (that is 12 containers), only £11 each compared to £25 retail.

I had to wait 2 days for it to come in though.

Filters I got a box of 10 from the USA (Sewell Lexus) at about 4 USD eash.

There are two marks on the dipstick one for cold and one for hot if the level correctly corresponds to either scenario do not add fluid it will damage the seals if overfilled.If you are doing a full service check the cabin filter and have at the brake pads they may be not lighting up the warning light but could be near to it better to change them when they are down to near the limit than on it.

Just go to Toyota and get a trade price as you drive a taxi.

5w30, £18 for 5L.

Tranny fluid for me was the special WS, £7 a litre compared to Lexus £15.

Diff oil can't remember but cheap.

Fluids, Toyota wins hands down.

Oohhh does someone else use an LS as a taxi then?

Thanks for the trade tip by the way, I can't think why I didn't think of that earlier doh!!

Not being sarcastic btw just being thick!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links