Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dvd On Nav Screen

Geoffers, I built one of these for my last LS400, could not get the colours or sync quite right. Seem to remember I used a proprietry RGB to composite chip. I am thinking of trying again on my LS430, any idea what the wire colour codes are on the satnav unit connectors, appear to have lost my original drawings. Also wondered if a wide angle camera mounted at the top of the rear window would see the bumper?.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sync seems to need at least 1.4v. Anything less and it loses it. (The R,G + B only need .7v). Which chip did you use?

Although mine is working, the frame/line rate is slightly out giving it lines across the top. Looking at making som echanges later.

Sorry but I don't have a diagram for your model but I'm sure others on the site do.

I seem to remember it was probably a TDA8362/TDA4465 which I understand are now obsolete parts. Not sure what a suitable replacement will be as yet, will have a trawl round when I get a bit of time. I think you are right about the sync level, would not have been as high as 1.4pp I dont think.

The TDA8362 is the one I'm using. It is obsolete as far as Philips are concerned but is still widely manufactured.

Use an LM1881 to amplify/split the sync pulse. (Or a couple of trainsistors allowing for the 180 degree phase shift)

The TDA8362 is the one I'm using. It is obsolete as far as Philips are concerned but is still widely manufactured.

Use an LM1881 to amplify/split the sync pulse. (Or a couple of trainsistors allowing for the 180 degree phase shift)

Personally i would use an R2d2 as this is compatable with the C3Po, but you may find this has been obsoleted,, but im sure obi1kinobe can supply this..

:D :P :) :hehe::hehe: just pulling ya leg guys...

Dont know why I want to do this anyway, only wanted to fit a reversing camera just to see if it could be done. Being a man of course, we do not need such things :whistling: Would be useful for wife though heh heh. This discussion is probably getting too techy anyways, suffice to say I may play around with it again when I get a bit of free time. Cannot see me using it for anything else, got 3 kids, Three monitors in the back ;) No chance.

Supracharged-IS340 Posted on Aug 4 2003, 04:49 PM

i would like to get some cameras installed in the car..to some recording device, for track days and 1/4 mile jaunts

Why whos motor are you gonna use.................0nly kidding Mat :lol::lol::lol:

:question: how long now then Mat. Will it be two months or sooner.

:whistling: :winky: :winky: :whistling:

As "standard" the PS2 only outputs RGB for Games and not DVD's. For this its S-video.

There are ways to "mod" the PS2 to give out RGB, but they do revise the designs every now and then, so it depends on what you have.

Just a word of warning.

Wish I had sat nav now. Would be a nice feature to have a camera!

How about a wide angle camera mounted in the middle of the bumper. Might look a tad odd, but then people would have said that about the reverse sensors at first!

I think best place is by the no. plate light. Angle it out a little and it'll be ok. How close do you need to get while reversing?

How about overlaying a reading from the quanan sensors onto the screen while reversing?

Mike - not looked at the output from the control box - assume it's serial. Any other reading I can take from the display unit? Or, any info on the serial data?

Looking a bit ahead here, but worth asking.

• 4 weeks later...

Dont know how I missed this thread b4.. But there seems to be a fair few people wanting cameras for the cars..

and a fair few without sat nav... ..

See what you think about this..

260t-288x233.jpg

spec as listed

Key Specifications/Special Features:

High brightness

High definition

Wide view angle

Fixed on desktop or roof mounting with swivel function

Up/Down/Left/Right reversible

Brightness/Color/Tint/Contrast adjustable

Compatible with TV tuners, DVD, VCD computer monitors, security systems, game monitors, CCD (for parking)

jac

/i've seen them. They are fantastic.

On reflection, I wish I'd just bought the motorised tray parts and put my own screen and SatNav in. But.... I've got it now and plan to use it to it's full potential.

I still have it on test right now. I've got rid of the scan lines that were initially showing.

I don't want to sell it or do anything until I've tested it a bit longer. I've battered it to death on my bench putting wierd signals through it, 24 hours a day for weeks now and it's held up fine.

I've not put a camera at the rear of my car yet so it wouldn't be a good test with nothing connected to it right now. I've just bought in some cheapo colour CCD camera's for £25. Not the best in the world but will do for my test purposes.

So far it has 3 inputs (4 including the actual Satnav). One input automatically switches in when you put it in reverse so the camera will be on that. (and switches back to what you previously had on). I'm putting a PC in the boot which will have the DVD player in, plus some neat spectrum analyser on screen for my audio, etc. so that leaves one spare.

Not sure what I'll do with that yet...... a front "fog cam" for an interesting view maybe or front facing mirror cam for those tight spots.... I dunno.

Not sure what I'll do with that yet...... a front "fog cam" for an interesting view maybe or front facing mirror cam for those tight spots.... I dunno.

How about a retro games console - play 'jet pack' or 'chuckie egg' and so on :D

Mmmm, spose that's easily done on the pc bit innit ... :oops:

Probably get enough code on a pic chip to do that anyway :unsure:

:shutit: :offtopic:

Jac,

so where can i get one :question: its look nice.....

i am thinking of a TFT ( screen ) so i can have DVD played . this seems a

good idea.

not too sure where to place the TFT. Mainly for the kids..

raj.. :winky:

There was somebody on eBay selling them..

Although i have been in contact with manufacturer direct in china (in view of getting them into u.k) problem is i would have to buy 50 units...

jac

I never got a price - I was renoewing my car so went for the SatNav.

Chris is probably the best person to ask, but here's the parts list I got :

Top Air Vent Peice - 55662A

Screw Cover for Air Vent Piece - 55544D

Up/Down Button - 84932A

Tilt Button - 84932A

Connecting Wire for Buttons and Tilt Control to Circuit Board - 82141B

Screen Top Cover - 55443A

Screen Casing - 55479B

Circuit Board Casing/Holder - 86843

Circuit Board/ECM - 55313B

Under Mount peices required for movement - 55683

Right Side Pivoting Mount - 55682

Left Side Pivoting Mount - 55681

Motor - 85435A

Gear - 55678A

I now realise that doing it this way, even if it cost a grand would still be better in the long run because I could have got a touch screen already with Composite input, etc.

Yes, it's just the whole motorised screen holder basically. Not sure on the cost of all the Lex parts, but you can pick up some really good monitors that will fit for less than £300 easy. Then it depends how you want to interface the satnav itself, either PC based or a dedicated unit.

A PC in the car will give you a lot more scope. You'll get a good PC in mini ITX as we've discussed in this thread ealier on and you'd have a lot more scope for expansion - a TV card in the PC, DVD, etc all for less than the original factory Satnav!

Hi Geoffers

I'm thinking of building a PC for the car using the mni itx motherboard.

I would like to use the RGB, H sync and V sync from the VGA output and display it on my 98 gs300 sat nav screen.

I think it would be possible to build a cheap sync combiner circuit - http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuit...tv/circuit.html and use some software eg powerstrip to set the composite sync frequency.

Do you know what the C sync frequency rate is of the Lexus sat nav screen?

Do you think this will work?

Thanks

It actually uses both NTSC and PAL. The SatNav monitor will auto switch depending on it's input between NTSC and PAL, but will cut approximately 24 lines of resolution from the top and bottom of a PAL image. Using an NTSC input will give the correct output for it, but pal has a higher resolution than NTSC.

The main advantage using NTSC is that you can get the convertors. The problem is that not all equipment sold in the UK will give out an NTSC signal.

The main difference is that PAL runs at 25 frames per second and has 625 horizontal lines. NTSC has 30 frames per second and 525 horizontal lines. (I know that doesn't equate to the missing lines, but some lines aren't used in PAL)

The sync. Freq. for PAL is 15.625 KHz and 15.750KHz for NTSC so be careful as VGA uses 31.250KHz and may cause the monitor to overscan.

The SatNav also needs at least 1.4v on the sync line. You can use an LM1881 to boost the signal if it is too low. PM me and I'll throw you a diagram across.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links