Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Sport Mpg And Speed

Wesley86

I must have a magical IS200.....althought I do drive like a grandad :innocent: ....but for 26 litres of petrol I got 189 miles.....which I think works out to be about 33 MPG with a mixture of town driving and motorway work.

I did an ECU reset, checked my tyre pressures were ok and was using the Snow button for this test based upon tips from here.

I am trying another test just now without using the Snow button and will be similar driving to see if it makes any difference.

Should be ready for next fill up at the end of the week and will report back if anybody is interested.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does the snow button do exactly? Sorry for the dumb question but I only had the thing a couple of weeks...

Slows the throttle response supposedly limiting wheel spin. It doesn't work, worst car I've ever owned in the snow. But prob cos I didn't buy winter tyres. :whistling:

Some members say using it all the time gives better MPG. But I hate it on. Floor it in second with it on and you'll see what I mean.

Ill have a go tomorrow morning back from the school run to work and see what's what...

Chris, you need some winters! Had winters on my BM for the last 4-5 yrs and been laughing past 4x4's on summers. Quite funny actually in a two ton RWD barge..

I originally thought it would limit/reduce the power, but as others have said, all it seems to do is reduce the sensitivity of the throttle. Turn it on and drive along a road in 2nd, keeping the speed steady and turn it off - it will start accelerating, but then taper off to steady the speed.

It's useful for parking, as it revs less easily. Works on snow too, keeps the throttle more controllable (if you have winter tyres of course ;) )

What does the snow button do exactly? Sorry for the dumb question but I only had the thing a couple of weeks...

As others have said really....it makes the thottle a little less sharp.....which is good and bad.....you need to think a bit more at junctions.....but it is good if you feel lazy just to get somewhere at ease.

I was originally looking for an auto but a manual one came up locally that I liked so went for it.....the snow button reminds me of an auto.....slushing about between gears lol

Dunno how much of a difference it makes to fuel consumption as Im a sceptic tight Scots git but will see lol

Well I cant really comment atm, ive had a sticking brake caliper for the last month, however even with that I was getting 22MPG all town driving in my auto. Im seeing now what it will do without the sticky brake :P but i find my auto hardly revs above 3k rpm. I dont drive it hard at all

Do any of us take out the spare wheel? would it really help? and what if i get a puncture? lol

Tried the snow button today and didn't think that much of it. I think it's my steady driving all the time that makes it not feel much different.

I have been lazing around with a slushbox for the last 4+ years....

I'll ask the missus next time she's driving it. She's got a heavy foot..

Tried the snow button today and didn't think that much of it. I think it's my steady driving all the time that makes it not feel much different.

I have been lazing around with a slushbox for the last 4+ years....

I'll ask the missus next time she's driving it. She's got a heavy foot..

Try cruising at 60-70mph normally then turn it on. You can feel the car sort of tighten up. I can't really describe it but there's a noticeable difference to how the car feels.

I did a little expirent and put in £30 from light on a few days ago. Just got home and the Lights just come back on and I'm on 144 miles and that has been all town and country driving. No motorway or fast A roads. You can add another 7 miles onto that as I'm just under 7 miles from the petrol garage. I'll fill up tomorrow :)

9A351421-5823-4569-9963-5BEA215982EA-2951-000004FEA4D70159_zps2167c8ea.jpg

I don't use the motorway very often either.

it does two 6 mile round trips to school everyday and the odd Tesco run.

We do take it out when we all go out as misses's car only has two doors.

The Celica we have is returning 40+ MPG and seems to run on air. It's only a 1800cc 4-pot but still..

i fill mine up till its ****** out the side of the car every month on payday. Just done 180miles and still 3 notch's over half a tank, combined dual carrageway (50mph) and town driving. Only had my IS 3 months and its returning 400+ miles to a tank

i fill mine up till its ****** out the side of the car every month on payday. Just done 180miles and still 3 notch's over half a tank, combined dual carrageway (50mph) and town driving. Only had my IS 3 months and its returning 400+ miles to a tank

I used to do the same, brim it on pay day! Until someone pointed out to me that I was then carrying around a hell of a lot more wait so using more fuel! I put £30-40 in at a time now. Can't say I've really seen a difference in my pocket but every little helps. Lol :)

Well i've gave it a run without the snow button.

Dunno if its factual as my driving isnt exactly the same every day but i got 319 miles for 46 litres of fuel which I think comes out about 31 mpg.

I think I'll use the snow button as I like the lazy nature :-)

Don't really take much notice of mpg but I can say from my regular journeys and the frequency I add fuel, this car drinks more than my impreza with less than half the power .... im amazed they managed to make a engine so dire on economy.

Don't really take much notice of mpg but I can say from my regular journeys and the frequency I add fuel, this car drinks more than my impreza with less than half the power .... im amazed they managed to make a engine so dire on economy.

It depends on where one drives , how one drives and engine state of tune/health... distance to work is 7.5 miles for me. roughly 3 miles of that is town driving to get me onto the M1 and 4 miles is done on the M1 and 0.5 miles is from the M1 to my work. this is 15 miles each way which works out 75 miles a week and this cost me £25 mon -fri before filling up sat.. which i think its not bad for a 3litre auto but someone might disagree. I check my tyre pressures once or twice every month and make sure both front and rears are sitting on 36PSI of air, I check my oil level once every month aswell and top up to the full mark always same with coolant leve aswell..

some drivers believe in sticking the car in say 4th gear whilst they are traveling at say 20mph and accelerating in that gear thinking its a more economical driving style. this form of driving is actually not economical because more pedal effort is needed to get the car going in 4th when doing 20-30mph. there is more tourque available to the car in 2nd gear when doing 20mph than in 4th gear when travelling at the same speed so always use the right gear for the right speed to accelerate the car and back off 80% of the pedal distance once desired speed is reached in the right gear. Its all about smooth steady acceleration and softer braking for me..which makes it more economical but i only....

let those 200+ horses rip when I encounter d*** heads who feel like they own the roads becuase they are driving German badged cars or just asking for it..and realise thier cars are not special after all once they get put in place or see me keep up through thier rear view mirrors..the look on thier faces is priceless.. :msn-oh:

My IS is thirstier than any car I've ever owned including a 2.5 litre 3 series BMW, 2.0L Honda Accord, 2.0L Primera EGTE, and to top it off I think it's thirstier than my dad's old Nissan 300ZX twin turbo pushing 350BHP!

Driving steady in the 300ZX I could average 26-28mpg. Foot down was about 5mpg to be fair tho :)

tho i have test driven the IS200 i never owned one but from the vibe am getting fro IS200 owners it sounds like the 1G-FE mite be thirstier than the 2JZ 3 litre auto...but hey they are more reliable than most cars in its class :)

It's pretty bad I'd say for such a small engine.

Some consolation for me is that I had a 740i before (BMW E38 7-Series 4.4L) and that was bad on fuel.

It's pretty bad I'd say off such a small engine.

Some consolation for me is that I had a 740i before (BMW E38 7-Series 4.4L) and that was bad on fuel.

It's pretty bad I'd say for such a small engine.

It's pretty bad I'd say off such a small engine.

I have no sympathy for you that was 32 valve V8 monster its designed to drink a lot of fuel :) .. i bet it had some go aswell when u planted the pedal !!

Chris looks like the 3 litre IS is the way forward if they both return the same mpg...