Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Misfire - Help

wakhtar

Hi all,

I have a engine misfire, hooked up the diagnostics kit which indicated misfire in cylinder 1 & 2. To check if it was the coil packs, I swapped 1&2 with 3&4 and cleared the error codes. A couple of days later, the engine management light and TC light started flashing.

Checked with the diagnostics kit and it is still saying cylinder 1&2.

I am thinking the next steps is to swap\change the spark plugs in 1&2. Would you say this is the correct steps to follow ?

Any other advice as to what may cause the issue ?

The weird thing is the engine is rough when it is cold, but once it has warmed up, I dont notice any difference in power or smoothness.

The car is running on LPG if that makes any difference.

The car starts on petrol and once the engine warms up (not fully warm) the car switches to LPG. The engine management & TC light come on whilst the engine is running on petrol. I dont notice any loss in power whatsoever,

Can anyone confirm Cylinder 1 & 2 are nearest to the front of the car (radiator) ?

The car starts on petrol and once the engine warms up (not fully warm) the car switches to LPG. The engine management & TC light come on whilst the engine is running on petrol. I dont notice any loss in power whatsoever,

Can anyone confirm Cylinder 1 & 2 are nearest to the front of the car (radiator) ?

I also got the same problem. IS200 Reg.2004, on LPG for the last 3 years, no problem on running, engine management light comes up with TC light. Car checked with dealer which showed misfire at cylinder 1&2. The dealer qouted a big amount to proceed further.

Any help please

ok so over the weekend I hooked up the diagnostics unit and cleared the error codes. Took out the coil packs from cylinder 1&2 and also the spark plugs. The sparks had some black soot on them so gave them a good cleaning and also checked the cables for exposed wiring, none found. Made sure the wires were clipped in to the plugs securely. Put it back together, started engine and no error lights.

Tanked up the gas and drove to Derby, left the car over night, fired it up, no error codes so drove on to Sheffield. Stayed there for 4 hours, fired up the car, no errors, drove to Derby and then back to Birmingham.

Fired up the car this morning and still no error lights although it was only 4 degree celsius this morning as oppose to the normal 0.

So far so good, car running smooth, took it just past the speed limiti :innocent: on the motorway and was very smooth.

NewLexusOwner200, were abouts in the country are you ? If near me I can help out if needed.

I have a similar problem, on start up there ius a distinct misfire, with head under the bonnet there is the sound of a clicking relay comming from the throttle body which is accompanied by a sychronised movement of the throttle cable pulley. The problem seems to disappear one the car is warn and it drives normally.

Only just got the car last week so not had a chance to investigate to far but am going to fully service this week (a quick check of the air filter suggested this would be a wise move).

I do not have any fault lights on the dash and it just past MOT last Monday:

Fast idle CO 0.06% HC 99ppm lambda 1.10

Natural idle CO .05%

I will post results here on further investigation

On further investigation the rear section of the exhaust is blowing which accounts for the high lambda reading which would make it run weak. I will do an emission test after the service and repair and post the results if this is of any use.

Wakhtar, what are you using for the diagnostic testing that tells you 1&2 misfiring?

Is it at idle and cold only?

Hi tonupdave,

Im using a hand held device purchased of amazon, link to the readings here >

https://plus.google....sts/eVAgGAXDknc

and Yes it appears the errors are generated when the outside temp is closer to 0 Celsius, since I cleaned out the sparks the light has not come back on.

the engine has always seemed rough when cold but once it warms up its just fine

PO codes are generic emissions codes from the EOBD system, in other words they are the same for all manufacturers so not that specific. 300 is random cylinder misfire and 301 cyl 1 302 cyl 2 as you state.

Typical "faults" could come from engine mechanical, wiring, fuel, ignition systems - very general!

I will be scoping all my sensors tomorrow so I will post the results asap, it may give you some pointers.

Do you have any recent emissions data (from MOT)? Even if prior to the fault.

• 3 weeks later...

My is200 started to misfire.. Changed the spark plugs.. Still the same when the car is idle it vibrates.. And also lost quite a bit of power any suggestions on what else it could be.. The engine management light starts flashing and when driving it stops flashing just stays lit, plus the trc off starts flashing.. Please help!! Is200 automatic 2000 plate

My is200 started to misfire.. Changed the spark plugs.. Still the same when the car is idle it vibrates.. And also lost quite a bit of power any suggestions on what else it could be.. The engine management light starts flashing and when driving it stops flashing just stays lit, plus the trc off starts flashing.. Please help!! Is200 automatic 2000 plate

You need to get in plugged into an OBD2 code reader and get a diagnostic. There's no point do anything else until you have the error codes and know exactly what the problem is.