Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Greetings everyone,

I've noticed recently that my Battery never seems to hit even the first green bar when charged nowadays whereas a few months ago it used to reach that level without much difficulty. Is it likely to be a sign of an ageing Battery (56' plate 55k miles)?

Alongside this would using sport or power modes (but not racing around) accelerate 'wear' to the Battery chemistry?

Thoughts/opinions/experience appreciated.

As the 450h has only been in production since 2006 it is very difficult to know what is going to happen as the batteries and hybrid system on these cars get older, and possibly not even Lexus know.

The only thing I have been told is that the batteries will only charge up to 80% of there capability and down to 20%, this is to protect the batteries, so the green bars will not go down to zero or show completely full.

I don’t think using the sport and power mode will make any difference as this is what they have been designed for, however it might be interesting to give Lexus a call and see what they say, although they will probably want to put in on there diagnostic machine to find out if anything is wrong and that will cost you.

Please keep us informed as all owners of these cars will be interested in the out come

Hi, when I started using my 450h I too was worried about the Battery charge status display untill I read on here " ignore it all, trust the technology and just drive the car" all the worries gone and 156,000 miles later she still drives superbly and returns great MPG figures.

Regards Tony

• Like 1

As it happens, coming up the M40 this evening the charge indicator nudged up into the green zone the for first time in ages (albeit briefly) so puts my mind at rest about the Battery for now, guess I will have to just relax a little more and enjoy it as you say. Very impressed with this car so far apart from the ride at times on standard setting and the odd creak/rattle.

It should be going in for a service in Jan so will ask about Battery condition and whether the different modes affect it's life in anyway. Will update after it's back. Thanks everyone.

2 ways to get the all the Battery lights on. Going down a long hill, or high speed on the 3rd lane of motorway with lots of slowing for traffic.

I've had mine for three and a half years now and not seen any change in Battery behaviour. Currently on 76k miles.

I was under the impression that the type of batteries used benefit from a complete discharge before recharging, unlike a lead acid Battery that likes to be continually topped up.

I assume that is why it's rare to see full batteries on the display. I guess the best way to manage the batteries would be for the computer to alternate through the cell in the pack, making one or two cells tottaly empty at a time.

Just a few thoughts, the guys at the service center didn't seem to have much idea.

Took me ages to figure out there's a gear change in the recharging system, dropping from 70mph this happens at around 35mph, recharging stops at this speed, but will start again if you let off the brake for a few seconds and then re-apply. The service center had no idea at all about this also.

It was on the motorway where I managed to get into the green bar zone at the top but I've never had it showing completely full.

I have noticed the gear change you mentioned also a slight change when accelerating past around 60mph?

That doesn't sound right ro me. In slow moving traffic, if my Battery display drops to two purple bars, the engine runs until a couple of green bars show. the engine then stop\starts until puple bars show again. When on the move the traction Battery shows about 4 green bars. On long decents I get all the bars lit except the last one. Never had all bars lit.

Mine is an LS but its the same principle.

That doesn't sound right ro me. In slow moving traffic, if my battery display drops to two purple bars, the engine runs until a couple of green bars show. the engine then stop\starts until puple bars show again. When on the move the traction battery shows about 4 green bars. On long decents I get all the bars lit except the last one. Never had all bars lit.

Mine is an LS but its the same principle.

Not sure if the colours are the same on the LS, mine go from 2 purple (low charge) through to 6 blue then the last two turn to green but I have only ever had it going up to the second last bar indicating an almost full charge which I understand is how the Battery chemistry is managed to preserve it's life.

Greetings everyone,

I've noticed recently that my battery never seems to hit even the first green bar when charged nowadays whereas a few months ago it used to reach that level without much difficulty. Is it likely to be a sign of an ageing battery (56' plate 55k miles)?

Alongside this would using sport or power modes (but not racing around) accelerate 'wear' to the battery chemistry?

Thoughts/opinions/experience appreciated.

Same on my GS, I think that it's probably because in winter you have to keep the car warm inside, so the thermal engine stay on more time to have hot water in conditioning circuit, and so it is charging more batteries.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links