Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

(Lots Of) Water In Boot/trunk

Hi All

I'm still persevering with my IS200 but every time I think I've got it sorted I find another issue needing dealt with.

I recently found a small amount of water in the spare wheel well. When I checked in daylight I found both side compartments (where the jack goes and on the other side) were FULL of water. There must have been 2-3 litres in each side at least.

I'm assuming this isn't normal but there are some strange flaps in each compartment that seem to be letting water in. Does anyone know what these flaps are for? Stupid question but is it normal to have water in this bit of the car?

The sunroof is draining fine so it's not coming from there but the boot seal seems to be letting water in. I don't want to spunk £80+VAT on a boot seal if I'm not 100% sure it's the only problem. I don't see the point in buying a boot seal from a breaker either. I have removed, cleaned and refitted the boot seal in a couple of positions but it just seems to move the leak around.

I'd recommend you check your next time you're in the boot.

Is it happening to your car?

Any ideas how to fix this?

Regards

Grant

Your description of Water in the wheel well and the rear quarters seem quite serious and extreme. Reading various post here some water in the quarters is common on older cars but not to the extent you mention.

Usually you notice this because the rear window starts to continually mist over due to the moisture rich air in the boot area and behind the quarter cover panels

I had small amounts of water in my offside quarter, I found this was due to a poor repair after some minor accident repair some time in the past.. The body repairs were made and visibly are fine but I had two areas that let in water. The flaps you mention was one they are sealed with foam gasket, this had dried up and was letting in some water and the bumper hanger behind the rear light had been damaged this had LED to the sealant between the two panels gapping by less than 0.5mm but enough to let slight drips when pressure washed.

I sealed this with a bitumous gutter sealant and sealed the air vent with silicone. I have not had any trouble since (4 months) all bone dry. I have to say though that water only ingressed when I used my pressure washer, stayed dry in normal driving.

Looking at the wheel well there are three rubber grommets about 25 mm diameter may be they are damaged?

• Like 1

I had water in the o/s of the boot wheel arch area, this turned out to be the ventilation rubber flaps that pass used air out of the car,via under the sides of the rear bumper, i resealed the plastic surround that holds the flaps in , problem fixed.

if you pull away both rear side carpets at the back/side of the boot , you will see the flaps I'm talking about, other way to get to them is take rear bumper off....good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks both for your replies.

I've had all the boot liners/carpets out. The three gromits in the wheel well are fine as are the ones in each side well. I've spent some time today fiddling with the boot seal which was definitely at least partly to blame. Seems to have improved a bit but only time will tell. I'll take the time to re-seal the flaps you both mention.

The car has been off the road for 4 months and was parked facing uphill which I don't think has helped!

• Like 1

Best thing you can do for the time being is remove the grommets from those two areas. These allow the water to drain minimising rust build up. As I've not had chance to look at the source of my leak, removing the grommets has proved very useful.

• Like 1

I had water on both sides and also made a thread, but not as much as you mentioned - that seems extreme. I wiped it dry and havent checked it since actually. However didnt encure any water in spare wheel compartment.

As for having issues with your IS one thing after another im starting to feel the same way, but we have to remember as bullet proof as they may be, these cars are getting old now and most problems are just wear and tear

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

i had this. rust still there to prove it! i ripped the lining out of the boot and there were the flaps. surface rust forming around the vent. dried it out nice with the heat gun. and sealed up around the outside of the vent.

after a few days i checked. there was some water in the arch which i dried right out again.

been a good month now. loads of rainfall and im still dry. will have a good look behind the bumper one day.

holding out for the summer for a good clean up and direct to rust paint

its all about the vents in my case

enjoy!

• Like 1

These cars leak like sieves the sealer between the rear quarter and the back panel can crack, especially if its had minor bump. The rear ventilators leak also can get in through bumper retainer on the side, especially if jet washed. I,ve coated mine in rubber paint as was starting to rust in panel joints.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

hey folks thanks for this, just opened the boot (that was getting sticky) and lifted out all the original gear for the 2000 is200, looks like i will be needing more than vinegar after 50mm deep in the spare wheel well has been brewing nicely, thank goodness for alloy wheels, might have to give the trim a good clean out and de mould and look for these cabin air relief flaps.

cheers again from wet summer Aus

• Like 1