Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 1995/6 Coolant Flush

VoipX1

Hi My gs300 needs a coolant flush and also the reservoir seems to have blocked so water does not get pulled into engine when there is a need for it to top up...

First question… best practice for coolant renewal

second uestion.. I thought the coolant was under pressure so how does the reserviuour work ? and how would it get blocked ?

Thanks

The reservoir tank is actually used as an expansion tank so when the engine is cold the coolant level in the tank should be up to the cold mark. When the engine warms up and therefore the coolant it pressurises and the level in the tank increases then as it cools down the level falls back to the cold level marking.

There should be no blockage in the pipe form the tank to the radiator unless the hose has collapsed internally, there have been cases where 2 types of incompatible antifreeze have been mixed and it goes like jelly.

You are best to stick with the recommended Toyota red long life coolant either premixed or 50/50 from concentrate using distilled or deionised water for the mix. ( I use water from a home dehumidifier as it is free and almost pure).

You can buy commercial flushing products if you want or simply drain and refill a few times with water until it runs out clear.

The link below is specifically for the LS400 but gives an insight into the job.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html

• 1 month later...

Shocks and struts,,, I know that sometimes different types of oil will coagulate, get lumpy but never thought that coolant will coagulate if mixed.

Gotta be careful these cars cost. Lot and cooling is et important.

What's the difference between coolant and anti freeze so are they he same ?

Lexuspcl8811

• 2 weeks later...