Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do I Have To Adjust Camber After Lowering My Is 220?

Hi everyone,

I know this subject has come up before but all i have found after hours of searching various sites and forums, is yes and no answers to the question "Do i have to get my camber adjusted if i lower my IS 220D?". Some people say yes if more than 35mm and some say no! Firstly which lowering springs do people prefer, Eibach Pro or H&R? And secondly if lowering does affect the tyre wear i.e. inner tyre, can any MOT/tyre centre do it and does anyone have the right settings for camber after lowering? I also read that apperently you have to buy some new adjustable joints at a great cost, any light would be grately appreciated on these topics!

My IS250 Se-L was lowered at the front by just over 38mm and just over 25mm at the rear on American spec Eibachs. After the geometry was checked at WIM I fitted camber adjusters to the front to bring the geometry back within the Lexus tolerances. The rear was just within the required tolerances, so I suggest that anything over 30mm would require camber adjustment.

The European Eibach lowering ProSpringset for the second generation IS lower the car by 30mm all round, so should be OK.

post21241118991.jpg

My IS250 Se-L was lowered at the front by just over 38mm and just over 25mm at the rear on American spec Eibachs. After the geometry was checked at WIM I fitted camber adjusters to the front to bring the geometry back within the Lexus tolerances. The rear was just within the required tolerances, so I suggest that anything over 30mm would require camber adjustment.

The European Eibach lowering ProSpringset for the second generation IS lower the car by 30mm all round, so should be OK.

Is there a specific reason that you went for the US springs? Was there any scraping at the front?

Is there a specific reason that you went for the US springs? Was there any scraping at the front?

I was working in Houston, Texas 2006/2007 and the USA was about the only place you could get mods for the second generation IS. Most of the modifications I did to my brand new IS250 SE-L, e.g. the OEM pre-painted GFX kit, Joe Z intake,free flow filter and the Eibach Pro Springset just wasn't available in Europe at the time so I bought them in the States and hand carried them back on British Airways.

The 19" Volks SF-Winning Race rims and the SS exhaust I imported from Rays and Tanabe in Japan.

The19" rims were also wider than the OEM, even more so than the BBS I have on the IS-F, but there was no contact between the front 235/35/19 tyres and the bodywork even on full lock. The car had 285/30/19 tyres on the rear. After talking to Eibach in Germany they said the springsets were manufactured to specifications required by the distributors which explained why the European Springset, when it became available, was a different spec to the US. The US spec also has different loading characteristics than the European equivalents.

pic0136w.jpg pic0142xa.jpg

Thank you so much for your reply. Your is250 looks great and is pretty much the look I am going for in the long term. It's nice to have somebody who has been through the whole tricking out process before and may have better advice. In terms of alloys I was thinking of getting hold of the IS-F alloys to keep the OEM look when I lower my car. 265 is probably the widest I will go with the rear tyres along with spacers if necessary to give it that flush look. It was interesting to hear you went for 235's in the front since 225 looks pretty clean too. Did cleaning the car become a chore?

Also, I am really interested in the tanabe medallion exhaust (mainly for the looks). The only thing holding me back is that it may be too loud for my taste. I've done plenty of research and it seems that this is the quietest aftermarket exhaust for the is250. My main concern is drone on the motorway. What was your experience like with the tanabe?

And lastly did you manage to get that drop with the lowering springs alone? I mean that looks a lot more than 1.4" in the front and 1" in the back.

I sold the 250 to another member of the forum (Cous3) and he continued with the subtle modifications, and it looks even better now with a full set of Black Pearl emblems and an IS-F type grill insert. The car had a full set of mudflaps so they may or not have prevented any extra dirt on the bodywork, but there wasn't a problem even on the dark metallic paint. The car also has tints all round, and is fitted with IS350 calipers and discs on the front with stainless steel braided lines all round.

The free flow Blitz air filter with 'JoeZ' intake tube was augmented with a mod to the standard lower airbox similar to the "F Sport" lower box which gave a better lower range pick up and some intake noise.

The Tanabe Sports Medallion Touring cat back exhaust is under 92 decibels so although it has a much better sound than OEM, it isn't at all noisy. There is a noticable drone that can be heard inside the car that isn't apparent with the OEM, but again it's not overly intrusive.

The drop shown in the pics was achieved with only the Eibach Pro Springs.

• 2 months later...

Hey Tango,

Nice garage contents by the way :)!

I'm back in the Lexus game - couldn't stay away!

What size & offset are the SF-Winnings?

I'm having a some 18x8 ET35's and H&R 35mm springs and also wondered about the camber.

(2007 IS220D)

Hey Tango,

Nice garage contents by the way :)!

I'm back in the Lexus game - couldn't stay away!

What size & offset are the SF-Winnings?

I'm having a some 18x8 ET35's and H&R 35mm springs and also wondered about the camber.

(2007 IS220D)

Wheel Make & Model: Volk SF-Winning (Gunmetal)

Wheel Size (diameter and width): 19x8.5 Front - 19x9.5 Rear

Wheel Offset Front:+38..offset extends +13mm to standard/+1mm inner gap

Wheel Offset Rear:+42...offset extends +42mm to standard/-16mm inner gap

Tyre Make and Model: Toyo T1-R

Tyre Size Front: 225/35/19 …diameter 640mm/width 229mm. r.p.mile 824

Tyre Size Rear: 275/30/19 …diameter 650mm/width 270mm. r.p.mile 812

Alternative Front 235/35/19…diameter 648mm/width 242mm. r.p.mile 814

Alternative Rear 285/30/19.…diameter 655mm/width 284mm. r.p.mile 806

Suspension mods: Eibach Pro Kit for IS250 (US spec)

Amount of drop: 1.4" Front, 1" Rear

Front Camber adjusters

OEM Standard fitting

17" RWD:

Front: 225/45/17, 17x8 +45mm O/S. dia: 633mm/width 222mm. r.p.mile 834

Rear: 245/45/17, 17x8, +45mm O/S. dia: 651mm/width 244mm. r.p.mile 811

18" RWD :

Front: 225/40/18, 18x8, +45mm

Rear: 255/40/18, 18x8.5, +50mm

Thx Tango.

i guess I won't know exactly how the wheels sit until they are actually on the car. (btw. its not RAYS I'm having :( )

Hopefully they'll arrive this weekend.