Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check Hybrid System Warning Light

I was driving home yesterday and a warning light came on with the description "Check Hybrid System".

I stopped and checked the book and it just says to contact your Lexus dealer.

I've been monitoring the hybrid system and everything seems to be working perfectly. Gonna get it booked in to see what is happening but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this warning and what was the outcome.

Cheers in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've had no problems ever with my 2006 400h until the other day when it was minus 6 and snowing in Newcastle upon Tyne and my "check hybrid system" and "check vsc" has been flashing on and off and is now constantly on.

Is this something to do with the cold weather and snow, its never happened before and I've never had any problems with the hybrid before?

The hybrid seems to be going on and off as normal, when you've got feedback can you please assist.

Thanks

Laurel

Hi guys, my GS450h did this about 3 years ago,stayed on for 2 days till Lexus could check it out (although everything was working OK by the displays) then went off on the way to the dealer, they said it needed a software update and (touch wood ) it has not happened again for 120,000 miles so dont despair. I think it was during cold weather.

• Like 1

Mine displayed the 'check hybrid system' on the first very cold night last week. Garaged but not heated. I called Lexus and they said to drop it in and they would do a quick check. However after a few minutes running, the warning [which was not on constantly but only on starting] disappeared. Never to return even though being outside at chilly Cliveden House for two nights.

My guess is a software update might be the answer.

Dammit I knew I would tempt Providence by mailing this forum. Today I got in the car in garage and put the key in, the steering wheel lowered and the instrument lights lit up and there was the icy sign and 'check hybrid system' and the yellow engine block sign. No petrol engine start. Drove out of garage, down drive, into road - still no engine, just Battery. "check hybrid system' lit up and disappeared as I checked other data. Turned round and headed home [total of about 1 mile and Battery sign was getting very low. Got back to the garage - just. Used other car for 3 hours - returned and started car - READY sign appeared as did yellow engine icon and "Check Hybrid System" But the engine started and began charging the Battery after few minutes, so drove onto road and engine assisted the beast. Drove for about 10 minutes - Battery charged but still a yellow warning engine block icon so returned and shut down. Later the engine block icon did not stay on after starting..... Lexus at Guildford will do a check in 2 days time. Steve the man thinks it is a software problem. We shall see!

OK, just back from Lexus Guildford and they checked all the software paths and managed to produce similar "Check Hybrid System" etc and it turns out [they think] that it was the new Battery they put in about a month and a half ago. Changed the Battery and a quick road test and I was free to go. No charge. Steve, my friendly contact said it is the first one they have had with this intermittent fault.

There have been a few [very few] in other parts of the country and mainly during cold weather periods.

I am a happy bunny and Lexus Guildford is a really good place to have one's car serviced IMHO. I think I will get a top range German [Varta?] Battery replacement if any hiccup reoccurs.

• Like 2

you may get this error when first starting if the voltage is low on the aux Battery, and at this time of year it is more likely to happen. I've seen this happen with the Prius too.

Bosch do a replacement aux Battery for the 400h which has a slightly better capacity. Useful if you leave your vehicle for 2 weeks+ as the OEM one normally discharges by that point leaving you unable to drive.

If you have a volt meter check the voltage across the Battery with the ignition off. It should be really be 12.6v or greater. If it is down into the 11v or lower then you have an issue.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Yesterday I saw white smoke coming from my exhast pipe then stope,  later in the evening I was about to pick up my wife I was shocked to see the sign that appear, check hybrid system with that engine sign and try angle sign.

I have no idea what is happening to my car

• 11 months later...

Just to add to the fun as no-one seems to have an answer other than a software or aux Battery issue, On Tuesday I switched on my 2008 and the dash lit up like a disco. Settled on the Check Hybrid System, engine and VSC warning lights. Stopped, switched off and back on and the VSC warning was off. I'd done a 12 mile and 16 mile journey in the day. Drove home 11 miles checking Battery data, everything working fine. At home I switched on again and all clear. No issues since. Not cold, not left standing. Everything works.

On 20/04/2017 at 5:33 AM, Beejay said:

Bought an MS309 code reader on eBay, for about £10, plugged it in alongside the bonnet lever, it ticked all the relevant boxes. So easy to use.:yes:

what trouble code(s) did you get?

• 1 year later...

I had both the Check Hybrid System, engine and VSC warning lights. After trying a new Battery, disconnecting the isolation plug plugging in, nothing worked. I noticed the hybrid Battery coolant was low, so I topped it up. looks like the hybrid batteries might have been overheating. Not seen the messages since. Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, AKB said:

I had both the Check Hybrid System, engine and VSC warning lights. After trying a new battery, disconnecting the isolation plug plugging in, nothing worked. I noticed the hybrid battery coolant was low, so I topped it up. looks like the hybrid batteries might have been overheating. Not seen the messages since. Hope this helps.

The hybrid Battery is fan cooled "or 3 fans in the RX" by air only. The liquid cooling on the hybrid system only cools the inverter, and the transmission.

John.

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, Ahmad_TRD said:

where is location of hybrid battery coolant ? i think i need to add for mine too 😞

In the engine bay next to the fusebox.