Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Come No Es In The Uk?

On 1st. Jan1993 Lexus were about to introduce the Mk2 LS400 and the upgraded ES300( from ES250 USA). At that time Toyota had 13 distinct model lines in the UK and felt that the new 2.2 and 3 litre Camrys covered that particular market sector. There were also import quotas in force in the UK, and to commercially introduce 2 new models would not have been viable.

As long as we've got the new IS the new GS and the new LS, I don't think were doing that bad.

The 2013 Camry does look stunning.

2013-toyota-camry_100413106_l_zps4f940d98.jpg

Camry is nice but I wish Toyota would bring Crown to the UK. It has so many options and interior similar to that of a Lexus LS but since it will be serviced at Toyota you won't be ripped off by the dealers. Also comes in smaller engine sizes.

I agree with all was in US summer last year and saw the new Lexus ES350 and Toyota Avalon not the crown and i must say both the ES and mainly the Avalon where nice the Avalon had a presence on the road and looked solid in the metal you would think its a Lexus GS if the front and rear badges where hidden from sight. I think Lexus would take a chunk of Ford mondeo and Vauxhall Insignia sales if they offered the FWD ES and a Toyota Avalon/Crown into Europe as some customers do not want to be seen in a Luxury/premium badged car but would want all the toys and drive a Luxury car gives. and I think Volvo is now catering for these type of customers..I recall a survey was done by one of these onlince car mag companies and they found out mordern day Volvo drivers of S60, S80, C70 and XC's were earning more money anually than drivers of BMW, Audi and Merc and when asked why they were not driving those brands most of them said they didnt want to be associated with that snob image even tho they could afford and run those cars..so Lexus/Toyota might do well in Europe with cars like the ES's and Toyota Avalon/Crowns to cater for those type of customers.

The 2013 Camry does look stunning.

2013-toyota-camry_100413106_l_zps4f940d98.jpg

I look at the angular lines on that Camry, and then look out of the window at my IS200 and think... things haven't really changed have they? :P

Goes to show how advanced the design of the first-gen IS was for its time.

Come to think of it, the new Camry looks better than the new IS in my eyes!

I've always loved big Japanese cars, starting from the 70s, when a relative bought a brand new Toyota Crown estate, which was a fantastic car, way ahead of the normal brit cars of the time.

Datsun Laurels and 280C/300C, Toyota Crowns, Camry and Cressidas have all passed through my hands over the years, with the only snag being corrosion on early cars.

Now I have an LS, which tops the lot.

Sadly though, the great British car buying public have never shared my enthusiasm for large jap metal, which is why Toyota stopped importing the Crown and Camry (best selling car in America at the time, I believe), and Nissan kept the Laurel and 300C to themselves.

Honda battle on with their superb Legend model, but how many do you see on our roads?

Ah well, the good news is that we can get some excellent reliable bargains for peanuts, because most people in the UK are badge snobs, and listen to buffoons like Clarkson.

• 3 years later...

In Dubai this week and astonished by the non-UK models

i have had grey imports for years - 82 Pajero,3 FTO's and 91 Soarer (2.5tt died last week - seized engine RIP) so knew there were others but seen RX300 versions of the Landcruiser and this ES300 which i would kill for.

got 98 LS400 Dual fuel and 02 RX300 now and space for a toy and this fits the bill perfectly

image.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links