Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow It's Coming!

panya

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm this could be interesting then just moved from a awd impreza to the Lexus, and forecast is quite a bit of white stuff from around 6am friday mornin, I'm back in as of tomorrow and all through the weekend, if the is200 is as bad in snow as I've read I might regret getting rid of the Subaru.,

I guess it really depends on your tyres and the road conditions mate. Summer tyres could be okay for slush and a thin blanket of snow, though you may struggle to ascend a hill. A decent set of winter tyres should see you through at least an inch and half of snow without any problems, speaking from my own experience from the last two winters. Even more so if you have 205/55/R16 ones, as I do.

That said, I'm not suggesting for a minute that it will be as good as an AWD Impreza with comparable tyres. But I guess the Impreza could make do with summer tyres in conditions where the IS200 would be left for dead :tomato:

On a side note, it's interesting that you moved from an Impreza to an IS, as I'm currently saving up to do the exact opposite: swap my IS200 for a WRX or even a Legacy Spec B :driving:

The whole Lexus/Impreza thing is something I've also thought about - I've always liked the 1st gen Impreza, and on the one hand it makes sense to move from an IS to a WRX - 2WD to 4WD, 150bhp N/A to 220bhp turbo. But on the other hand, it make sense to move from an Impreza to an IS; and Impreza isn't much more inside than a Micra, and the IS is much more comfortable, better specced and nicer place to be inside!

just read the forcast to advised people to stay off the road on Friday as heavy snow :nuke: :nuke:

still tempted to have a lil fun ride :shifty:

Class !! Toofunny.gif

Mmmm this could be interesting then just moved from a awd impreza to the Lexus, and forecast is quite a bit of white stuff from around 6am friday mornin, I'm back in as of tomorrow and all through the weekend, if the is200 is as bad in snow as I've read I might regret getting rid of the Subaru.,

I guess it really depends on your tyres and the road conditions mate. Summer tyres could be okay for slush and a thin blanket of snow, though you may struggle to ascend a hill. A decent set of winter tyres should see you through at least an inch and half of snow without any problems, speaking from my own experience from the last two winters. Even more so if you have 205/55/R16 ones, as I do.

That said, I'm not suggesting for a minute that it will be as good as an AWD Impreza with comparable tyres. But I guess the Impreza could make do with summer tyres in conditions where the IS200 would be left for dead :tomato:

On a side note, it's interesting that you moved from an Impreza to an IS, as I'm currently saving up to do the exact opposite: swap my IS200 for a WRX or even a Legacy Spec B :driving:

If you fit proper winter tyres, you can drive even when there is much more than an inch and a half.

Plus, why do people believe this Santa Claus-story that 4WD works suddenly when it's snowing? If you have no winter tyres, they are as helpless as any other car.

I live part time in Scandinavia, used to have an Impreza STI (now have an Evo IX) there. On summer tyres, even with the slightest bit of ice or snow, you're also all over the place with a 4WD.

I once decided not to fit my winter tyres yet when we had half an inch of snow on a september day. Sure, it was going to melt anyway and "I had a 4WD car ! With locks on all diffs ! Wooheee !" ... VERY "woohee" when I nearly ploughed into another car at 20mph and the 30 year old RWD Volvos in wintertyres flew around my ears at 60mph...

In winter, fit good winter tyres. Better in any weather, incl rain. And no, it's not a cost as you do not wear out your summer tyres meanwhile.

Already posted this here last year, but compare yourself:

Here is a "useless RWD IS300". We were in a skiing resort in the Alps. Steep hill next to the skiing slopes (approx 1:5).

Underground is worst you can have: snow compacted to ice.

The van on the hill had chains, and all the others just parked their cars on the carpark at the top, including the 4WD Lexus RX and an X5.

Only thing I did was put good wintertyres on the car.

Then here is an Audi A8 Quattro.

Clearly, without the right tyres. (Off course not, he has a 4WD :rolleyes: )

South France and Finland huh... not jealous at all :P

Well, it's a bit unusual at the moment as it's snowing everywhere in Europe. Even along 40 miles further East along the coast, near Cannes, there seems to be snow today but here it's still +8°C. Weird.

And nope, I don't live part time in Finland to be fancy. Used to live there, got divorced and now spend every third weekend there visiting my 12 year old.

Fancied a change from the impreza as I'd had it for over 7 years, never had issues in the snow whilst i had it, and it was running a fair bit more power than standard. maybe didnt have that much to require winter tyres as ive never had them either, im fully expecting to have less grip in the lexus as whilst i agree awd is not the be all and end all where driving conditions are less than ideal, but having torque distributed to all wheels does give you a fighting chance of getting somewhere over a car with the power going to just two wheels, moderating your driving to match the conditions goes a long way to help too. Anyway ill find out in the morning as its coming down quite well now and expecting heavy fall overnight

Not trying to take the ***** but on 'the mainland Europe' we think snow is when it gets above your numberplate not when there's 3cms on the ground....

Agreed. But there's a red weather warning in place where my mum lives saying we could have 15-20cm!

Here's a pic of my street when I was 6 years old, last red snow warning my mum can remember......

FFCD7E50-62C1-4DEC-A65F-06C08FCE62DC-4425-000005857E28781A_zps47f2bf78.jpg

Not trying to take the ***** but on 'the mainland Europe' we think snow is when it gets above your numberplate not when there's 3cms on the ground....

Agreed. But there's a red weather warning in place where my mum lives saying we could have 15-20cm!

Here's a pic of my street when I was 6 years old, last red snow warning my mum can remember......

FFCD7E50-62C1-4DEC-A65F-06C08FCE62DC-4425-000005857E28781A_zps47f2bf78.jpg

That's a twin tub washing machine malfunction. Red Snow Warning, my arse!

Well that's what their saying. Glad I don't live there anymore :lol:

2CDCC082-C7D9-41B0-832F-50C7E2C709C7-4552-00000597701E3647_zps90f92014.jpg

but some of us do BOO HOO

Here we go again we dont need it its of no use or value and yet it costs £££££ in lost wages and uses up resources we dont need to waste and should be used for more worthwhile daily uses What a waste of time