Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first LS400 shortly, and have been to see a few today.

I saw two Mk3s and a Mk4, and had the opportunity to drive both Mk3s. What awesome cars! I was amazed at how smooth and comfortable they were.

The first Mk3 had covered just 128k, and drove very well. However, a couple of things did worry me slightly and I was hoping for some advice.

The car was started from cold and there was a fairly annoying rattle/groaning/screeching noise when manouevring at slow speeds. It seemed to go away or be obscured by road noise when driving normally. Is this a common problem? Should I forget this car and move on?

There was also a slight amount of rust right at the top corners of the windscreen, on both sides of the car. It just appeared to be surface rust and had obviously been touched up with paint (not very well!) at some point. Again, is this a common problem or something that's going to cause grief in the future?

The Mk4 was buried behind a few rows of other cars and I got to the garage quite late so didn't have an opportunity to drive it. However there were some immediate problems - damaged and mismatched driver's door mirror, missing centre caps on the nearside wheels, the trim in front of each rear wheel arch was missing entirely for some reason and on the offside had started rusting... And the guy was asking £3k for it! I'm going to take it for a drive tomorrow to see how the Mk4 compares to the Mk3, but unless he'll cut his asking price in half I think I'll be leaving that one on the forecourt.

Thanks for any help/advice you can offer. Can't wait to join the club :)

The noise on the series 3 could be associated with the power steering, even low fluid levels can cause it or a badly worn drive belt.

Is there any service history for it?

I've seen cases of rust on the top windscreen edge, these may have started a simple stone chips but spread rapidly if not treated in time, problem is the damage can extend into the seal area and then you have a leak.

As for the series IV I wouldn't bother returning, if the dealer couldn't be bothered to get the car out or even make an effort to present it in good order walk away.

Hi all,

I saw two Mk3s and a Mk4, and had the opportunity to drive both Mk3s. What awesome cars! I was amazed at how smooth and comfortable they were.

The first Mk3 had covered just 128k, and drove very well. However, a couple of things did worry me slightly and I was hoping for some advice.

The car was started from cold and there was a fairly annoying rattle/groaning/screeching noise when manouevring at slow speeds. It seemed to go away or be obscured by road noise when driving normally. Is this a common problem? Should I forget this car and move on?

There was also a slight amount of rust right at the top corners of the windscreen, on both sides of the car. It just appeared to be surface rust and had obviously been touched up with paint (not very well!) at some point. Again, is this a common problem or something that's going to cause grief in the future?

The Mk4 was buried behind a few rows of other cars and I got to the garage quite late so didn't have an opportunity to drive it. However there were some immediate problems - damaged and mismatched driver's door mirror, missing centre caps on the nearside wheels, the trim in front of each rear wheel arch was missing entirely for some reason and on the offside had started rusting... And the guy was asking £3k for it! I'm going to take it for a drive tomorrow to see how the Mk4 compares to the Mk3, but unless he'll cut his asking price in half I think I'll be leaving that one on the forecourt.

Hi,

Sounds like you should leave those alone.

Even though you are not laying out a huge amount of money you should not be getting noises of any kind, if there are leave well alone.

Neither should you accept mismatched anything.

You should not be able to detect the gearbox going through the gears.

This is not a quick process and the most important thing apart from having the money to buy it is patients. patients, patients.

You cant hurry this process.

Full service histories are very important, recent cam belt changes with invoice evidence that the work was done even more important.

Always ask on here if the car is being advertised on the interweb what we think of it.

Good luck Mike.

Hi all,

Hi,

Sounds like you should leave those alone.

Even though you are not laying out a huge amount of money you should not be getting noises of any kind, if there are leave well alone.

Neither should you accept mismatched anything.

You should not be able to detect the gearbox going through the gears.

This is not a quick process and the most important thing apart from having the money to buy it is patients. patients, patients.

You cant hurry this process.

Full service histories are very important, recent cam belt changes with invoice evidence that the work was done even more important.

Always ask on here if the car is being advertised on the interweb what we think of it.

Good luck Mike.

Both the above are good advice. You should be able to get a really good MK4 for £2k or less. Just don't be in a hurry, they turn up often. Keep us posted, and keep asking, there's a huge amount of knowledge on this forum.

Phil

Hi Zaphod. Good luck with searching. I got myself an is200 last weekend and wish I'd been a bit more patient. The problems are small, but I seem to keep finding more issues. I'm very happy with the drive, comfort and luxury.

Hopefully you'll have your 400 soon and maybe we'll get a Welsh meet together through loc.

Stuart.

Thanks for all the alacritous advice, chaps, appreciated!

The groaning Mk3 was this one. It has a full service history, mostly at Lexus dealerships, and a cambelt at 120k. The fact that it was being sold at a Lexus dealership was of reassurance to me, so it's a real shame about the noise and the little bits of rust.

I also had a test drive in this Mk3, which was also very nice. There's a bumper scuff on every corner though, as well as some slight stone chips to the bonnet and again a tiny bit of rust at one corner of the windscreen. A bit more tired at 158k but I think the asking price reflects the condition.

The Mk4 was here - I think the lack of photos is justified considering the state it was in! I think I'll go back for a drive tomorrow just so I can compare the inside to the Mk3. No intention of buying that particular car.

The search continues...!

The first LS400 I drove was a real shed, but even in the sorry state it was in it converted me on the spot. A few months later, via an ad in Pistonheads and loads of help from the guys and girls on here, I got my LS via a private sale. I've had four months with it and still love it. I'm sure the right car will come along for you. Just give it time.

Thanks for all the alacritous advice, chaps, appreciated!

The groaning Mk3 was this one. It has a full service history, mostly at Lexus dealerships, and a cambelt at 120k. The fact that it was being sold at a Lexus dealership was of reassurance to me, so it's a real shame about the noise and the little bits of rust.

I also had a test drive in this Mk3, which was also very nice. There's a bumper scuff on every corner though, as well as some slight stone chips to the bonnet and again a tiny bit of rust at one corner of the windscreen. A bit more tired at 158k but I think the asking price reflects the condition.

The Mk4 was here - I think the lack of photos is justified considering the state it was in! I think I'll go back for a drive tomorrow just so I can compare the inside to the Mk3. No intention of buying that particular car.

The search continues...!

"alacritous" cor blimey mate we are only mere mortals.

The 1st MK3 I think has been around for a long while and far to much money even with the added noise extras.

No2 Amazing how pictures can lie, still a lot of money for what the car is. No full service history.

And as for the 3rd if he cant put himself out by putting up pictures why should you even consider giving him your hard earned money. Again an awful lot of money, for that you are looking for a FSH all the keys and a one owner car. 430 are going for that money.

Good luck with the search. I will keep my eyes open. Mike

Hi,

I've had my Mk3 for almost three months now and she has 182000 on the clock, no real wear to the steering wheel, leather or interior and no rust. The other two Mk4's I looked at were newer and much lower mileage and were very tatty. She cost £750 plus another £400 for new tyres all round, the other two were both much more expensive.

Keep looking, the ones you have looked at so far are probably best put down to experience.

Good luck and good hunting!

Mark.

Hi all,

I'm off to view this car at the weekend. It has 158k on the clock with full Lexus service history, which is a big plus.

The MOT history doesn't have any nasty surprises - it had both rear upper suspension arms replaced at the last MOT in November, as well as a few other bits. The trader says there's a bill included that shows £1400 worth of work was done - money that the next owner won't have to spend I hope!

Does anyone here know this car already? Any obvious red flags that I've missed? It's towards the top end of what I'd like to pay, and the colour wouldn't be my first choice but that's a minor concern if the rest of the car is sound.

Thanks all.

Dave

looks a pretty car and with FLSH ( has it ? ) should be good.

Seems a tad expensive at £2k though !

someone else on a recent post here has a similar with LPG at £2k ...... might be worth considering that too, a club contributor.

Malc

hey, the guy on here selling is ManicMark .... I bought mine off here ACLex some 18 months ago .... lovely car too, Members are good keepers of their loved steeds !

Malc

Looks a nice car but would agree with the other points already raised plus no mention of cam belt being changed. If there is no evidence of this being done don't waste your money even traveling to see it unless they reduce the price by at least £800. Car is already priced to high.

Mike

I'm also selling an Facelift Sat Nav 98 LS400 with LPG MOT & Tax. Body, wheels completely refurbed no marks whatsoever service history and a recent service by my local garage.

I did mention it to another member who 'claimed' they are in the market for one but after 1st responding they won't respond anymore

I'm also selling an Facelift Sat Nav 98 LS400 with LPG MOT & Tax. Body, wheels completely refurbed no marks whatsoever service history and a recent service by my local garage.

I did mention it to another member who 'claimed' they are in the market for one but after 1st responding they won't respond anymore

Well worth contacting each other as LOC members own probably the best well serviced LS out there. Mike

Thanks for the input everyone. What is a more reasonable price for such a car? The cambelt was done at 128k, so it's got plenty of life in it yet.

Hi John, I've just emailed you. Thanks.

One piece of advice, haggle before you go.

Once you've travelled to get there he'll be less likely to budge on price.

Good advice. I travelled to the Midlands (took me 5 hours on the M25) and on the phone the guy said he would be open to offers, when he realised how far I'd travelled he only reduced it by £100! In the end I paid £2,400. With a private plate worth around £400 I'm more than happy with a car that really cost £2,000 with 94K on the clock, and it drives like new. I'll keep quite about having to have the starter repaired though!

Good advice. I travelled to the Midlands (took me 5 hours on the M25) and on the phone the guy said he would be open to offers, when he realised how far I'd travelled he only reduced it by £100! In the end I paid £2,400. With a private plate worth around £400 I'm more than happy with a car that really cost £2,000 with 94K on the clock, and it drives like new. I'll keep quite about having to have the starter repaired though!

5 hours to get to Birmingham on the M25 there is something wrong there with that statement ?????

A lesson to all those speaking to dealers or anybody else selling a car and that is not to let on where you are coming from or tell them you only live a couple of miles from them Mike.

rust on windscreen top edges are they approx in the same place and of similar size ??? i hazard a guess they possible are

Check the screen details see if its been replaced this is the point we used to start the wire for screen take outs depending on if there were 2 of you or 1 caused any paint cuts which then in time become blisters of rust and so on we always used a primer if it occured in black to protect and cover the paint cuts to prevent rusting.

Some people had it but never used it

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links