Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg

reecey

No this not the usual how much are you getting etc.

I have had my CT over 12 months now and have covered over 30,000 miles. I have noticed over the last couple of months my consumption has dropped to an average of 45 - 50 mpg previously i was returning around 45 - 50 mpg.

Anybody else covered this sort of miles and noticed any reduction in mpg?

Cheers

Assuming that you got a bit mixed up with your figures, are you saying that generally, you are down by 5 mpg? This is a typical seasonal fall which is experienced by many drivers and not just hybrid drivers. Cooler weather means it takes longer for the car to warm through when you first start and therefore you use more fuel. An alternative reason also relates to seasonal effects: your brakes are more worn than last year and therefore the brake pistons are sticking further out of the calipers than last year and are more prone to picking up dirt, salt and resultant corrosion causing slight brake binding. An easy way to spot brake binding is to gently touch the wheel hub centres with the back of your hand after a journey involving very little braking. A hub which is hot or warm to the touch more than likely has a binding brake which is responsible for generating the heat.

Hi Wass. Yes I am saying I am down by about 5MPG. I know about the temperature difference, i.e the colder it is the less MPG.

Had the car last winter but didn't notice such a big drop overall, not been that cold this winter until now of course. Brrrrr

Just had the car serviced so i don't think it is a break problem, will check though.

I've only managed to put two tankfulls through my F sport, calculated at 53.86 and 54.22 mpg. I expect that when the warmer weather comes 60mpg will be achievable. Perhaps the OP could adapt a difference driving style?

Hi MrMajic. You are missing the point. I have driven the CT for over 12 months in the same driving style. The point I am making is that I am seeing a drop of around 5MPG latterly. It is not a temperature related issue as last winter I was getting around 50 - 55 MPG average. The question i am asking is could the 30,000 miles i have now covered be effecting the MPG?

Anybody any thoughts?

Reecey, apologies, yes I was missing your point. I can't think why as few as 30k miles should see a 10% reduction in fuel efficiency. Assuming that there are no other variables (maybe a change in fuel?) then it might be worth a trip to Lexus. I suppose the fear is that the Battery is working less efficiently.

• 3 weeks later...

My average for the last year is 46.2. In summer it is slightly higher, maybe 48 - 50. The previous three fill ups when it was very cold weather I averaged between 41 - 43. I have to say that my car is used for mostly very short runs, 5 - 10 mins, so the car hardly has time to warm up. On a longer run I can get 50+ on average and have achieved 60, only once though. :) My car is 2 years old in March, and I have done 16k so far.

• 2 months later...

I've now had a CT200H for 6 months and have done around 5000 miles, I seem to get around 40 mpg which is a lot less than the published figures, this is mainly short trips of 5 miles or so, on motorways I get around 48 mpg.

One thing I have also noticed is the accuracy of the fuel tank gauge and range display.

I have just run the car to 0 miles range and then a further 5 miles before filling up, the fuel gauge was empty and the warning light was on for 20 miles or so. I managed to get 35 litres in to fill the car up, I'd covered 302 miles since the last top up.

This means the tank shows empty when it has 10 litres left, around a quarter of a tank, and shows 0 miles range when it should go a further 90 miles, assuming 40 mpg.

Based on the 45 litre tank it should have a range of 400 to 500 miles.

Is this a common problem?

Think you'll find it was designed to show 0 miles left when you could still do prob 50+ miles. Stops you from pushing it and running out of fuel. If the gauge was completely accurate then you would have ran out of fuel when you hit 0 miles left and damaged the hybrid technology. Can't run out of petrol in a hybrid! (I've heard that a lot) so I guess it's a fail safe by Lexus as they know everybody will push it to the limit as you have proven. :)

I've now had a CT200H for 6 months and have done around 5000 miles, I seem to get around 40 mpg which is a lot less than the published figures, this is mainly short trips of 5 miles or so, on motorways I get around 48 mpg.

One thing I have also noticed is the accuracy of the fuel tank gauge and range display.

I have just run the car to 0 miles range and then a further 5 miles before filling up, the fuel gauge was empty and the warning light was on for 20 miles or so. I managed to get 35 litres in to fill the car up, I'd covered 302 miles since the last top up.

This means the tank shows empty when it has 10 litres left, around a quarter of a tank, and shows 0 miles range when it should go a further 90 miles, assuming 40 mpg.

Based on the 45 litre tank it should have a range of 400 to 500 miles.

Is this a common problem?

Mine is a 61 plate that has done around 15k now. I've had it for around 4 months and have acersged just under 54 mpg on mixed use with the last few tanks at 58 mpg in this better weather. I do try and drive for economy though. The readout on the dash is about 5-7% optimistic in my opinion, the figures above are calculated.

To close this off. Now we are enjoying some warmer weather, for how long, my MPG has returned to normal. As suggested a cold weather problem.

All Toyota/Lexus hybrids suffer in cold weather for a number of reasons:

• the engine takes longer to get up to operating temperature so initially stays on longer
  • to heat the cabin the vehicle either uses engine heat (which keeps the engine on) or uses an electric heater (which runs down the Battery quicker and makes the engine come on)
  • rechargeable batteries have a much lower usable capacity as temperatures decrease (which runs down the Battery quicker and makes the engine come on more often)