Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vertical Scratches On Front Side Windows.

Both our IS250s have vertical scratches on the front side windows. Most of the second gen IS's at Lexus Bristol also had these scratches when I took my car in for service before Christmas. Lexus Bristol have deemed this not to be a manufacturing defect. Lexus customer support have been useless and are surprise surprise not interested in this issue as apparently no one else has had this problem. I know this issue has been covered on here to no avail. I religiously clean the seals with a toothbrush everyweek after this started to happen on our 2007 model. But this hasn't preventing the same occurring again on our 2011 model. Apart from this the car has been brilliant.

Anyone else noticed this?

I noticed it on my 220d, strangely enough.

To this end I wrap a piece of wet cloth around a kitchen flat blade[the blunt edged type] and slide the lot up and down the joint between the glass and the rubber seal. There is a sort of fabric edge to the rubber seal. I have been quite surprised how much crap is removed, I do this every 2 months or so.

I have also used an old six inch metal ruler and a few plastic blades. Finding a long life plastic tool is tricky. The metal blade works fine, but just take all due care. Not had a prob yet.

Edit: Meant to add...a piece of old tea towel works well, keep moving along to a clean section of towel with each wipe and then wash the whole thing ready for next time.

Been the same on my mk1 and mk2 GS300, and also my mk2 GS430.

None of the cars actually clear water from the window when they are wound down, bar random patches (unlike all other cars I have had) so I suspect the fact they don't contact the windows fully, grit can easily lodge in the seals. Bit of a design flaw in my opinion.

Both our IS250s have vertical scratches on the front side windows. Most of the second gen IS's at Lexus Bristol also had these scratches when I took my car in for service before Christmas. Lexus Bristol have deemed this not to be a manufacturing defect. Lexus customer support have been useless and are surprise surprise not interested in this issue as apparently no one else has had this problem. I know this issue has been covered on here to no avail. I religiously clean the seals with a toothbrush everyweek after this started to happen on our 2007 model. But this hasn't preventing the same occurring again on our 2011 model. Apart from this the car has been brilliant.

I had this on my 220D but I could only see it when the sun was in a certain position. My attention was drawn to this problem by someone who posted a thread quite some time ago and, if I'm not mistaken I'm sure that they said that they had it all put right under warranty. I will have a scan to see if I can find it.

Yes it looks like a manufacturer design flaw!.

Bluenose1940 - that would be great. I'm pretty sure I read that topic though and it was someone with an LS460 that got it replaced under warranty.

Found it! Have a look here, in particular post number 2

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=76852&hl=

Found it! Have a look here, in particular post number 2

http://www.lexusowne...wtopic=76852=

Thank you! That greats and not the one I remember! I will try and find out more information. I think that even with this evidence, Lexus customer support will deny all knowledge of this matter though

Yes, I have noticed the same thing and I must say that I have never had this on any car I've owned!

I lowered my passenger window to speak to someone and the scraping noise as the window went down was not pleasant at all.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links