Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi I have a lexus 220d sport 07 32500 miles..

my car seem to be playing up. It starts okay and will drive, but all of a sudden it holds back like I'm out of fuel, won't rev and engine still running but no power. Had RAC out no codes on there computer, been to two independent garages and also scanned with no code found , the problem is intermittent and has Been doing it for over a week service is up-to date and Egr valve has been cleaned twice since i owned the car and cleaned when problem started , so has MAF i also changed the diesel filter when I serviced it last, even though I wasn't in the service pack, I'm stuck and have no more ideas pls help

does this happen say when you change up a gear and accelerate quicky? if it revs and no power for a second or two then picks up speed the sounds like your clutch might be slipping..

No it's not the clutch as the revs would pick up but the speed wouldn't

When it happens the revs won't pick up neither would the speed just feels like it has a limiter on it and holds back as I say lts like youve run out of fuel and there no acceleration at all

if it sounds like fuel related then might be fuel pump! but rather than guess what it might be best to take it to a garage to for more diagnosis but from the symptoms my guess will be fuel pump/ fuel filter.

No there's no smoke at all the car has never smoked. Even before the problem. I have taken it to the garage and because its a intermittent problem they can't seem to solve it . Just removed the air intake into the turbo impeller and shaft it's clean as a whistle with no play.theres a sensor on the hard hose going to the inter cooler which had small amount of oil which I have cleaned with electrical contact spray , any more ides would be much appreciated .

This might be worth checking out as you are experiencing exactly what my son did in his 220d.

It did lead to a VSC alarm coming up.

Anyway...his was a lead that must have been knocked by a socket wrench or similar and then proceeded to fragment and then snap. During the fragmenting bit his car was doing exactly as yours. It was the two wires that connect to the inlet manifold sensor. That are readily visible and prone to impact where they are located. Standing in front of your engine the sensor is at the front about 30cms down from centre and then 30cms to the right. You will see 2 wires connected to the sensor. Have a good look in daylight to see if they are sound.

Also check the wire connections to the plug that attaches to the EGR as that too can be the subject of mishaps, with fairly regular removal required for the cleaning of the valve.

Sorry if this doesn't help...but it's good to at least cancel these out.

Dpf ....I ran the car at 3000 4000 revs for 45 min there's no smoke black or any colour or soot

since I've check the air intake to the turbo looks like new inside the front of the turbo span the impeller spins freely and no play at all on the shaft .

Spoke to lexus and the say could be a blockage in one of the pipes to and from the egr valve any one know where or which one would be a common for blockage or any diagrams photos to help me locate them many thanks for all you help

It sounds very much like my car and I've just ordered a MAF from Lexus Sheffield. Lexus Sheffield told me that my problem would not be a MAF sensor(as they had never replaced one), and they are convinced it is either the EGR or the DPF - I explained that my EGR had been cleaned and it had made no difference.

I think that Normski is referring to the MAP sensor on the inlet manifold(something like absolute pressure sensor in Lexus language - also about £360), which I believe can display similar symptoms to a worn MAF when it goes.

Did you check the turbo actuator/arm when you checked the turbo, or are they not accessible on these? I don't think it sounds like an injector or the glow plugs!

I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to try the inlet/EGR cleaner (spray) to see if that will clean the system.

Do keep us informed.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump!

Uncovered snow- did you get to the bottom of your symptoms, as I share them!

I fitted a new MAF Sensor and air filter (very dirty) and I have worse step-off and more pronounced lag.........aaahhhhh!!!!

Strangely my revs don't shoot to 1450rpm after starting and then stay there for 10/15 mins, rather they start at 950 rpm and occasionally go to about 1250rpm. My car warms up much more quickly too!!

Problem solved all for approx £ 70 no more

Done by myself 1st went to local car spares sc motor factors and brought.

Wynn's DPF cleaner which you pour into fuel tank just in case it was causing back pressure

Wynn's EGR cleaner which you spray into the air intake at short bursts as everybody cleans the egr itself but the not whole systems which this does

Wynn's turbo cleaner. which when I used it was to clean the variable veins also spray directly into air intake in short bursts

Then I replaced the air and diesel filter which wasn't needed according to lexus main dealer as my service history was upto date

And filled with shells vpower instead of supermarket fuel

Since I can't believe the difference in preformance. My Lexus runs so much smoother and is a pleasure to drive again the pick up from the turbo is more responsive and boosts like never before all my problems vanished .. Not sure which one done the job but doing everything really made the difference ... I did notice there was what looked like bio diesel sediment in the bottom of the diesel filter housing and filter did look dirty as did the air filter

I hope this helps and for less than lexus charge for an hours labour I got everything so good luck

DPF

as said earlier this is becoming more of a problem now anything with DPF appears to be doing shorter mileages before faults occur

Is it good or bad the more that is attached to our cars to stop a variety of others things the more faults occur????

• 1 month later...

No there's no smoke at all the car has never smoked. Even before the problem

Edited by janey
removal of gaming links

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links