Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Satnav Installation Help

CammyGrieve

For me now, navigation is 2nd place. I can use my Iphone with either apple Maps turn-by-turn, or Google Maps turn-by-turn to navigate to places on the rare occasions I need to. The main priority really for me is reverse camera, so I'm tempted to just get a 7" TFT screen and throw that in, with a reverse camera hooked up, mounted in the boot lid (probably in the little number plate light panel). That said, having built in TomTom Classic style sat nav would be quite cool, as the interface is nice to use (I use it at work daily, and have for the past 5 or 6 years) and stuff like the POI's, speedcamera's etc are all useful. Still haven't managed to get TomTom working on the chinese WinCE GPS unit I have yet though.....

I just ordered a gps all in one thing off eBay it plays movies n stuff too looks more like a tablet and can hook reverse camera upto it so am going to mod the power button and hard wire it in(once i am 100% sure how to) to ignition. Might get some help on that once its delivered and units all put back together.

That's pretty much what I got, but the one I got doesn't have the AV input for adding a reverse cam (cos I'm a ***** and bought the wrong one). Comes with iGo sat nav built in, but it's rubbish. The biggest problem with it, apart from being rubbish build quality and poor software, is the it doesn't power on and off with ignition. So you'll need to modify the power button to wire into the open/close button on the motorised unit.

Hopefully can install another software thing on it ?? Will have to google that. Luckily i know couple guys off ********** that have done similar in power button mod and unit wiring so hopefully get them to do it once unit delivered. To be honest rarely use sat nav so was just a perk having a screen in car

I use waze on my phone. Its a social traffic navigation app, its very widely used and as well as speed cameras will show even the slightest traffic delay and the average speed of each delay 100% live updated by the second, also police cars and mobile speed cameras (not the zones but the location of them when and where). Im aware of tomtom having a similar feature but no where near as good, not to mention pretty sure there's a subscription. As a navigator its not perfect like tomtom/co pilot live but ive got the Lexus navi for that, but the whole point is that it will route you out of trouble if desired. As a standard A to B navigator yeah tomtom or co pilot live.

If my car didnt have navi i would simply buy the housing and put a tomtom in it or similar, an android interface preferably or even just buy the flip up tray which came in later models and fix it in. Other alternative get a new head unit with all the mod cons reversing camera, GPS, MP3 Bluetooth etc