Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Shut Down Help!

shafque

I recently bought an is200 SE on a T reg. Fantastic car.

Last Thursday I took it to the car wash to get it valeted. When they had finished the car Battery was flat. So the guy help me jump start it and it was ok.

The morning after I tried to start the car again it was flat so i bought a new Battery and fitted it in and all was ok. In the afternoon i went for a drive for 45 mins before picking up my son from school, while I was waiting for him the car was running as i had the radio and heating on, then suddently the car just turned off.

I tried starting the car back ok and nothign at all. It wouldnt tick over and nothing was happening.

Yesterday I went back to the car prepared with some tools and a Battery charger. But before i done anything I tried to starting the car and it started first time !!!

I am scared i brake down if i drive it again.

P.S I pluged a code reader in to the obd port (or watever its called ) and its giving me a reading of P0135. Which i think is a sensor but dont know.

Also on its last MOT it states that "FRONT EXHAUST HAS A MINOR LEAK OF EXHAUST GASES"

Can anyone help or offer any sugestions !!!!!!

When the car refused to start was everything completely dead i.e. no dash lights came on or was the engine cranking but not firing up?

If it is completely dead I would start by checking all the Battery connections and all earth points.

The fault code suggests a problem with the pre cat O2 sensor but this could be due to the exhaust leak mentioned on the MOT. I would get the leak sorted 1st and then reset the system as it may just be that.

No the shutdown and the sensor are 2 different faults as I suggested check all the connections to the Battery make sure the clamps are tight and the wires going into them are also good and clean, there are also earth points around the engine bay where thick wires are bolted to the metalwork check these for tightness and corrosion, remove,clean and refit if in doubt.

If the fault does come back try gently moving the connections to the Battery ( gently don't break the Battery posts off!) and tap the engine compartment fuse box incase it is an intermittent connection.

If the engine management light is not on don't worry about the code you got from the reader at the moment, as I said this will have nothing to do with the car going dead. Have the exhaust leak repaired and then clear the code with your code reader and see if it comes back.

The most exposed earth point is under the car on a bracket attached to the transmission pan, the picture is borrowed from another website but shows the cable and location, this is the most likely earth point to suffer corrosion and damage after a valet if this included an underbody wash or steam clean.

The wire in question has orange tape on it.

post-12144-0-88186700-1358783714.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have recently purchased a Lexus is 200 the problem that I have is when I connect the Battery all I am getting is the four indicators lighting up no ignition lights nothing at all is powering up on the vehicle. Is there anybody at all out there that could possibly give me any advice on what the problem could be??? It would be gratefully appreciated

I assume the Battery is a known good one and fully charged?

If so the indicators normally flash when the alarm system is set/unset so could be associated with this, if there is no power to any other parts of the car I would start by taking a look at the fusebox in the engine compartment where all the high current fuses are located and check these, the alternator fuse is one that can fail when a Battery is reconnected.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi thanks very much for all of your help I have finally had time to play with the car initially when I bought the vehicle the Battery had been connected the wrong way around hence blowing 120amp fuse and 15amp fuse. Today I have managed to get all ignition lights on everything on the vehicle is functioning perfect lights full electrics. My nephew and I decided to tow the car to start it with no joy anyway I went to a friends house who bridged the fuse in the engine bay and the car is turning over but not firing up every fuse and relay have been replaced is there anything anyone could possibly advise me about?? I hope there is someone out there as I don't really want to have to scrap it as the car has got the making of a real nice thing and only done 80k seems a shame

Replace the fuses first then try cranking the engine over with full throttle you may have flooded the engine with fuel if it does not remove one of the spark plugs to see if it's sparking have you checked the fuses by the throttle pedal