Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Please

lewe_d_is200

Hi everyone, I just went out for a little drive to the shops and on the way home I noticed that the trc off light was flashing on and off, I then noticed that the temp gauge dropped down to nothing. As I pulled up home 2 mins later I popped the bonnet and it was steaming a little and was also making a bubbling sound. I no all of this doesn't sound good and I'm imagining the worst. :(

Could anyone help me in any way?

Cheers

Lewis

If its premix you dont add water, but if its concentrate you do obviously 50/50, either way all goes in same place, if you want to speed things you can fill rad through cap.

Hope all is okay. I noticed oil on the floor after bringing the car home today, I'm hoping it's residue left from the old car and the increase in temperature outside is simply washing it away. Will check my levels later.

i noticed mine was low 2 days ago due to weather conditions and toped it up with both water and concentrate antifreeze as mine is not pre mixed. engines do tend to go through a lot of coolant during minus temperatures and hotter temperatures aswell so worth checking both engine coolant and oil during this time and if you manage to save it early it wont be headgasket cooked ££

infact iam going to check the coolant level now and top up again if a bit low.

Ok so I have filled up the car with premixed antifreeze all the way to the top, but I have also opened the rad cap and it looks empty? Should I also fill this up with the same antifreeze or just leave it?

Cheers for any replys

Not noticed any temperature changes, though the car does run smokey sometimes. Oil levels are good and I did not notice any dripping and I had my head under the front of the car for a good 5 minutes. I think I'm just being paranoid.

Stuart.

Ok a little update

I went out again today to get the car warm again to see if it was just a low coolent problem and it happened again, so I'm thinking maby a block on the rad hoses somewhere are the water pump has gone because the rad itself is only a year old.

Any thoughts?

You need to top the system up with coolant into the rad until its full, then squeeze thepipes to get the air out.

Once that's done put the rad cap on and fill the overflow tank to the line.

Check it over the next day and see if the level moves as the air bleeds out.

As above.

The tank relies on expansion in the rad, and "sucking" the water from the tank back into the rad as it cools down. If the rad (and cooling system) is so low that the water doesn't fill the system, it can't suck it back in.

The TRC light flashing always happens when the engine management light comes on. Don't know why but it does. You need to get it on a diagnostic mate and read the codes. It's pure guesswork until you know why the car is throwing up fault codes and what those codes relate to.

I'm thinking your problem might be a faulty temperature sensor. If it wasn't giving the right readings then it wouldn't put the cooling fans on when required and would cause the car to overheat, this will be most likely when idling sitting in traffic or moving at low speeds. I'm just guessing. What I would do is reset the ECU and top up all coolant levels and let the car idle in the drive while watching the needle, it should rise to about half way then if it goes above that then it should trigger the fans and cool the engine.

The Engine Management light and TRC light will remain on until the ECU is reset. That means the car is in "Limp Mode". It restricts the throttle to minimise further damage but enables you to get the car home. To reset the ECU all you do is disconnect the Battery negative terminal for a few minutes.

Make sure there is coolant topped up right to the top in the radiator In the reservoir the coolant should only be topped up to the line on the side of the tank, just like this...

2012-11-12_10-37-31_826.jpg

Not 1 to disagree but it doesn't always go into limp mode with the lights on. I've had the light on and TRC flashing and the car still has 100% power and drives as normal. It'll go into limp mode depending on if the fault the ECU has recognised is pertentially harmful to the engine so I was told by the dealer.

But yes re set the ECU. It may be an old code. You never know.

However if the car doesn't recognise the fault again after 3 on/off cycles of the ignition then the lights will go out by themselves without resetting anything and the fault code will be saved in history not present fault.

For example with me I had a leaky fuel injector. So sometimes when I switched the car off it would run on for a second as the leaky injector would still drop petrol into the cylinder even when the car was turned off setting off a mis fire code in the ECU. Then next time I started the car EML light on and TRC flashing. Car still drove 100% as I said. Turn the car off and on 3 times, lights would go out. Put it on diagnostic, mis fire code stored in history.

I'm I the only one thinking that the losing of Coolant and EML light being on might not be related?

Nope, nothing to suggest they are related at the moment other than the light first came on when the coolant issue was realised. Just following up on the coolant issue anyway to find out if that is sorted, then it can at least be eliminated.