Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight Tarnish

Dean8788

One of my headlights has got a bit tatty looking slightly yellow tinge sort of tarnish to it, which just washing does not remove. I have heard that sand paper can clean it up to look like new again how true is this?

• 3 weeks later...

No chris doesnt have to be abrasive, The polisher i have has fluffy pads, just saves the arm ache.

one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NuTool-Rotary-Car-Machine-Polisher-/271153167833?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item3f21fcfdd9

Brasso, Toothpaste, G3 paste......all work a treat. Rub on with any old piece of cloth.

Dad gave me a 2Ltr tin of G3 so I use that.

Don't think I'd want to be using sandpaper....thoughts of some innocent grabbing some 80 grit...and Oh my God what has happened??

Haha I wouldn't have used sand paper! Lol

I was thinking more of the green side of a washing up sponge.

I had a go yesterday with toothpaste and to be honest can't really tell any difference. I'm going to have another go in about an hour.

Bought a cheap set of rear fogs of eBay for £5 inc p&p (cheap) but they looked like they had being run over!

423812_10150501492206712_2028756522_n.jpg

So i set about them with some wet-n-dry, and finished them off with Autoglym paint restorer on my rotary with an old foam pad.

428867_10150501492606712_333030769_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've never been a fan of doing masses amount of cleaning in the engine bay, and I certainly wouldn't put a pressure washer anywhere near it like they'd do at my local car cleaning place. I wipe ove the plastic covers with some silicone spray and that's about it. In terms of carpets, I have just bought some Autoglym carpet cleaning products so will let you know how I get on. It's a job for the weekend.

Weekend job done today! Loved the Autoglym products for the carpets (shampoo in an aerosol can) and two products (cleaner and some kind of creamy protecting stuff) for the leather (smells like a new car now). Very impressed and just waiting for the exterior stuff to arrive before tackling the outside again.

• 4 weeks later...