Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 430 Underside, Sandblasted, Galvanised Then Epoxy Painted - Progres

Hi Guys,

Thought you might like to see a progress report on the next stages to make my LS430 bomb proof!

As its had a 7 year life on UK's salty wet roads, the underside can take quite a battering, as the pictures show.

The upper body and inside can look immaculate, but see what it looks like underneath! For those mechanically minded and get under their car regularly, this will be no surprise.!

The sand blasting start Monday 4th Feb, should be all done by Friday!

After cleaning the surfaces, an electric galvanising process is performed and then protected by a special epoxy paint that suitable for metal in marine environments. That should stop the rust bug!

I'll post some more pictures as it unfolds.

Whats interesting is all the plastic sound deadening panels that need to come off first!

watch this space.

Nigel

post-45250-0-19066900-1359779464.jpg

post-45250-0-65854500-1359779547.jpg

post-45250-0-09092000-1359779670.jpg

UK Road salt certainly doesn't help the corrosion and rust, mine spent the 1st 12 years of its life in Japan and even with 7 years of exposure since it arrived in the UK it is still good underneath.

I always have the underbody washed after every winter which seems to help with preservation.

It will be interesting to see the finished result on yours so post up the pictures when you have them.

Looking forward to the progress pics.

Can you let us know of time and costs involved as well if that's Ok with you

In the 1st and 3rd pic i can see a vertical bar with a slit with a bolt trough it with a linkage arm going further up, what is that?

In the 1st and 3rd pic i can see a vertical bar with a slit with a bolt trough it with a linkage arm going further up, what is that?

I think thats for the headlight level is on the mark4 400

I think thats for the headlight level is on the mark4 400

Thats what i thought it could be, but this car is a 430 so is it the same thing i wonder

Hi,

Its going to cost $1,500 plus GST (like VAT but at 15% here equals $1725, or about £930 at todays exchange rate! Though at last months rate $880, the pound is so weak at the moment, and the NZD so strong!

Another picture of 'before' and it should take about 3 to 4 days to complete, but we will see! The plastic under-trays for sound deadening are very numerous and held on by all sorts of fixings! So it might take a bit longer to disassemble and reassemble!

Its very good value here, not sure what it would cost in UK.

I'll post pictures tomorrow of the first stage hopefully, the sand blasted result!

post-45250-0-87720000-1359882705.jpg

Amazing to do this yourself :)

I don't think he is doing it himself unless he charges himself AU$1725.00.or do you mean you have done your own yourself?

What about all the rubber suspension parts and shock absorber dust covers will they be damaged by the sandblasting?

Amazing to do this yourself :)

I don't think he is doing it himself unless he charges himself AU$1725.00.or do you mean you have done your own yourself?

What about all the rubber suspension parts and shock absorber dust covers will they be damaged by the sandblasting?

Hi Steve,

That's right, not doing it myself!!

Apparently the sand blasting only affects the hard parts, and doesn't damage soft parts such as rubber etc

We've just taken off all he plastic sound deadening panels, gosh there's a lot, and I am going to replace all the nuts and bolts and plastic lugs, so it's going to take a little longer than I planned, but that's not a problem, best to get it right.

Nigel

Very interesting - I was under mine at Christmas (11 year old 430 in the UK) while not pretty it is as sold as a rock. A lot of the plastic bit take a bit of a bettering from the mechanics etc and the only problem was with the exhaust. A small hole that was plated. I never wash the salt off the bottom after the winter - I find the English climate takes care of that.

The only thing I would think about is what happens under the new paint? Still they used to paint the Forth Brigde every year and now they have applied a similar coating to that which Nigel is going to use and it will last 25 years - that would be cool a 25 year old 430.

Bren

As well as my Lexus I have a 1990 Merc 230e, [series 124 the best! ]....... there is no rust under the car......a squirt of Waxoyl every year, all over the underneath with a Schutz gun keeps it good. [ not on the exhaust! ]

I keep hoping it will be worth a fortune one day.....

Yes I do the LS as well.......!

Here some pictures of the underside after sand blasting and galvanising, and first cost of epoxy paint.

The sand blasted pictures are being sent to me, and I'll post them later.

If you compare the rear suspension components to the first pictures, it looks like new, its amazing!

I am well pleased with the result!

It will last 25 years or more!

;0)

post-45250-0-77707300-1360042987.jpg

post-45250-0-47818600-1360043027.jpg

post-45250-0-31183200-1360043075.jpg

post-45250-0-56033000-1360043114.jpg

post-45250-0-16239000-1360043176.jpg

post-45250-0-18866000-1360043247.jpg

post-45250-0-22919800-1360043402.jpg

post-45250-0-69296300-1360043482.jpg

post-45250-0-05463100-1360043551.jpg

That's money well spent. Had a look under mine this weekend, I am pleased that its obviously been an inland car & has only very minor surface rust in places I might duck oil or atf 50 it in the spring. Yours should last a lifetime with that done.