Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

10 Days Into Ownership...

Wooo more bad feedback regarding Cardiff. I also fell out with this dealership. They really have no concept of customer service. They can't even do something as simple as return a phone call or email.

I use Lexus Bristol and I have to say they've been superb. Can't fault them really and they'll happily negotiate prices for servicing, labour costs etc.

They won't budge on parts from the part department but they say these prices are set by Lexus UK and they can't change them. Kim in the parts department is very helpful and you forget your on the phone to a dealership when talking to him and I've found myself discussing everything from Lexus to Mercedes to where I'm going on holiday. I deal with Nigel in the service department, top bloke and he drives an IS200 so we always talk about the car and when he's not around, Simon has been a pleasure to deal with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the car is coming back on Wednesday but to be honest I don't know what to do.

Lee in Cardiff has been great in fairness, and has told me that everything is sorted bar one thing...

The radio hiss is down to the DAB module, unplug it and the noise goes away.

They tried it into a CT and it's fine (so the module isn't faulty), and have also tried it in another IS and it's hissing too (so the head unit isn't faulty either). So it's the combination of the IS head unit with DAB that causes the problem.

Thing is, the radio and DAB was a major factor in choosing the car, and I can't live with the hiss so my choices are to put cotton will in my ears or lose the DAB.

Assuming everything else is spot on, I'm still not sure whether to keep the car or look elsewhere.

Any advice?

Cheers,

Pete.

It will only come down to being your call at the final decision. Assuming all else is spot on your only issue sounds to be the DAB unit. I would think and expect to see DAB add ons in all sorts of devices over the next few years as Analog starts to approach switch off. I fully expect to plug a device in via my jack or USB port at some time in the future. Having said that DAB is not high priority for me as I prefer my own cd's and mp3 selections.

From my own perspective...you'd need a tyre lever to separate me from this car, I like it that much!

As Normski says - it is your call.

All I can tell you is that if this annoys you now, it will annoy you even more the longer you have to put up with it.

You either have to accept that the hiss will probably be there for the duration of your ownership, or change it now.

Years ago I bought a used car (not Lexus) and the radio hissed badly when I put on the heated rear screen.

The garage tried to fix it by replacing the rear window, but it was just the same.

They eventually gave me the option to change the car, but I really liked the one I had bought and thought that I could put up with it.

I couldn't. After three months I traded it in (at a loss) and shelled out on something else.

If you are not 100pc sure that you can live with this - change it now while you have the option.

Morning all, just to let you know I spoke to Darryl at Cardiff this morning and said I'd like to get my money back for the IS and take stock.

I would definitely consider buying from Lexus and Sytner again, but it looks like me and the IS were never meant to be.

I think I'll have a look at the GS as I really didn't like the cvt box on the CT loan car, as well as the Toyota GT86.

Thanks for the advice on this nightmare guys it's been really useful.

Darryl just said ok, it's Leicester that actually sold me the car so I'm sure they are the ones that will be smarting rather than Cardiff.

Apart from the issues the car is fantastic it's such a shame.

I'd be interested to see how this works as I've never heard from anyone that has taken up the 'refund' option before.

Let us know when it's all done and dusted and your experience/observations with the process.

I'm sure you will find the right car soon - you've just had a bit of bad luck here. Lexus cars are brilliant and can't really be beaten for value for your money.

I hope you find a car to your satisfaction soon. You would've become so irriitated by the radio. I fear the car has too many issues and shouldn't have been sold I think? At least not by Lexus.

You are always welcome here and hope to see you soon.

Courtesy car was collected thursday so now just awaiting the cheque to arrive.

Thanks again for the advice,and I would stress its not put me off Lexus Cardiff at all. I would buy from them again no problem.

Cheers,

Pete.

• 9 months later...

Hi all, here's a long time thread update!

After a bmw 135i I'm back in a Lexus. IS250 SEL 22k miles in a lovely colour combo of silvery blue (not sure of name) and black leather,

Good service from Lexus Cardiff so far, though one or two tiny body niggles they will hopefully sort when I have time to take it back up there.

Stealing the dealer pics until I take some better ones.

5bfdaacf83a5ffebc915887abb047fd2_zpsc3c0

Hi all, here's a long time thread update!

After a bmw 135i I'm back in a Lexus. IS250 SEL 22k miles in a lovely colour combo of silvery blue (not sure of name) and black leather,

Good service from Lexus Cardiff so far, though one or two tiny body niggles they will hopefully sort when I have time to take it back up there.

Stealing the dealer pics until I take some better ones.

Hi Pete,

Just read this thread with interest particularly because you mention a DAB module? I've never heard that something like this exists. Is it a Lexus part and if so do you need to have the Multimedia System to use it?

Cheers.

Thanks Norm, my last one was a 250 too, my first was a D.

The DAB was fitted to my last IS which had the HDD nav system fitted. It's a lexus option listed on the accessories website, though when fitted it caused terrible interference over all sources which couldn't be fixed.

Been busy tonight. I do vehicle wrapping for fun and beer lol, so set to work on my wooden trim. Was a pretty easy job compared to most, started off with the window switches will do the console when I have time and possibly the silver handle trims.

Here's some pics...

29CDD2D2-71CC-46DC-8924-2E051FC9726A-603

89AB770B-5736-4D04-9835-73DF648BF690-603

8F66ACAB-3DAC-4211-B61C-D620C2EC277B-603

690C7763-39A6-420D-9587-27CB4F8F5D09-603

And some albeit dark pics fitted, using the LED map lights and phone flash.

38BCFE8B-47C0-4EAE-9175-58F15D005E08-603

81F93849-5DAD-43BF-8BE6-DCC4FF64F769-603

CF242697-6813-448C-89E9-B7B0E3B2043E-603

016E6DD9-C1DD-48DB-B3B3-A3EBA0A7B00C-603

This is interesting. My only dislike with my new SE-L is the bright wood trim and I was thinking of ways to change it.

Is it relatively simple to do (remove trims and apply wrap)? What does the wrap material cost? And is it a durable material or will it need re-doing at some stage?

Thanks.

Chris

Hi Chris, to answer in order:

It is simple in theory, though to get an oem finish takes patience and a bit of technique. I'm used to doing full panel external wrapping and even I took about 2 hours to complete the work. Trim removal is very easy with a plastic trim removal tool (not a screwdriver lol).

The costs can vary, the carbon I use isn't cheap but it looks more realistic than any other wrap I've seen.

It's pretty durable, it won't wear but damage is the only potential issue though it'll be no worse then the original wood. It's a semi permanent covering I suppose, it'll last years if applies well, bit if it does mark then you can always rewrap it.

Thanks Pete. I have a client that does some vehicle wraps I may have a chat with them and see if they could give me a hand.

I have the trim removal tools. Is the centre console cover easy to remove too?

And where did you source the carbon?

Chris

Console is simple. Remove the silver sides, unscrew the gear stick and put it in N, then work it out from the sides.

I use an importer for my customer cars so my wrap is directly sourced, but hexis or 3m do hundreds of types.

I'm going to wrap the console tonight, if anyone is interested would you like pics as I go? There is a sticky on it but I'm happy to give much more detail of the breakdown process etc? Let me know.

I have the console/ashtray out of the car already but found a vid on YouTube on how to do that.

Cheers,

Pete.

Ok ill blog as I go...

Ash tray cover is removed with the little clips at the back, then tilt the wooden top plat up hinging AT&T he front, the chrome handle is screwed in.