Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Caliper Upgrade. Suggestions?

The Swede

I would like to change the front caliper of our GS430 by something that looks a bit better than the cast-iron horrors that are on the car now.

Does anyone know of any one for one replacements (I do not want to change the wheelhub, etc) that look a bit better and don't cost stupid money?

Any shops (online) ?

Note: I am looking for similar size calipers. No need for Mitsubishi Evolution-size competition brakes ;)

You could paint them yourself to improve the appearance or have them done profesionally (see link below).

Another option is to find some alternative replacements like Toyota Supra TT calipers but as you can imagine these are rare and due to demand expensive.They may also need other modifications to fit.

http://www.biggred.co.uk/

Agree with Steve, not many options available that aren't an upgrade, and hence expensive. The 6 or 8 pot ones look fantastic, but will run at over a £1000 including the discs. Supra calipers, the last set I saw went for £650 or something like that (not a straight fit either I don't think). I seem to recall something about some LS calipers being an upgrade of sorts, but can't remember the specifics of it.

Painting them yourself is the cheap option and makes them look a whole lot better. This is a pic of my mk1 repainted calipers behind the wheel, on my 430, I used the curved stickers instead of the straight ones.

post-19263-1194275485.jpg

Looks like I better take them off myself, nicely clean them and then paint them black or so.

Any idea where I can find nice decals? Could stick some on and then, I assume, lacquer the calipers so they stay on.

You can get the decals on ebay. Yeah, I sprayed mine black, then applied the decals when they had dried enough, then used clear over the top.

Sounds like a plan. Should I replace the calipers as I am doing this (it's abt 110 quid a side)? In the end, the calipers have 140000m, so I am just wondering if it would be a good investment.