Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Airbag Warning Lights

BrowmOwl

I have CT200H fSport too and my airbag light in the console is also permanently on. I asked the dealer about it and he said it was supposed to be on to tell you the airbag is active so do not fit a child seat. It seemed logical to me at the time.

SM

the question is why would it want to tell you its active you already know that.

In all the years i have not seen an airbag light/symbol on unless there is a problem or fault.. :shifty:

Or do you mean the light is a display light not a diagnostic light?

the question is why would it want to tell you its active you already know that.

In all the years i have not seen an airbag light/symbol on unless there is a problem or fault.. :shifty:

Or do you mean the light is a display light not a diagnostic light?

This light definitely has a car seat with a child seat fitted and a circle around with a line through it. I take that to mean "Do not use a child seat while this is lit". I agree it is strange but what else can it mean? And that is how the dealer described it, as a warning not to use a child seat while the airbag is activated.

Many modern cars have these indicators to warn those who put child seats on the front passenger seat to de-activate the passenger air bag. You will find a switch on the passenger side of the dashboard, which is accessible when the passenger door is open...I'm affraid when you operate this switch it'll put on the other indicator lamp to indicate the air bag is switched off. I've heard of some who just tape over the indicator if it causes bother.

It seems to me that due to the fashionable lack of ' technical expertise ' ( used to be known as common sense) amongst owners of most modern devices, such labelling and warnings have to be fitted by manufacturers in order to protect themselves from hefty legal claims. I once noticed a label attached to a motorcycle chain guard which informed the all and sundry that it would be dangerous to touch the chain whilst the rear wheel was in motion. This appears to be the manufacturers reasoning behind having to show a warning lamp for the passenger air bag being enabled meaning that parents fitting a child seat in the front passenger seat without disabling the airbag could theoretically be held responsible for any loss or injury caused by the activation of an airbag.

The ambulance chasing legal culture seems to have been a major contributor to the gradual diappearance of common sense and an endorsement of the old saying that the 'law is an *****'.